Seizures continue on Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

there has got to be something desperately wrong with me as ive been up for an hour and only just realised ive made breakfast but not a cup of tea (aaaahhhhhhhhh i must be going mad quick lock me up )

Lamictal & insomnia

Have now been on the 400 mg dose for 5 days. Severe insomnia, getting only about 2-3 hours of restless sleep since then. Going to bed at the same time as usual, but waking 2 -3 hours later, very alert. Now experiencing the type of headaches which I associate with previous incidents of lack of sleep. Can't stop yawning. Don't want to be put on sleep aide.

Insomnia is listed as a side effect on the paperwork from Walgreens which comes with the prescription, and on various internet sites.

Will this persist or go away as I become used to the increased dosage?

I had the headaches and insomnia when I first went transitioned onto Lamictal. I think whenever you make a change in dosage, it takes a while for the brain to recalibrate. For me, those side effects went away after about 2 months, when I'd been at a stable dose. I hope the same happens for you.

I am also concerned with the cost of the drug. While I am very lucky my current insurance is picking up over 95% of the cost of my current dosage (400 mg), just the thought of a prescription that costs over $900/per month before insurance frightens me. What would happen if I were to lose my job? When I reach the medicare retirement age in only 4 years, will the cost of the drug be covered? Once the dosage is stabilized I might reduce the cost before insurance by signing up for mail delivery. My employer is self-funded for insurance, and between the cost of the mobile EEG testing that led to the diagnosis, and now the drug, they may decide I am too expensive to keep around.

Ramjet,

If it were me, I'd call the neurologist to report on how the Lamictal is working for you. Then maybe give the drug more time. It's funny, after ramping up on my dose, the "final" dose didn't work for me. We kept increasing it until it did work better. In my case that is 350mg/day.

Do call your neurologist if you can.

Back
Top Bottom