Seizures on cement aren't fun

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I had my first seizure on cement two days ago and I look like I was in a fight that I lost. A black eye, scrapes all over my face and body, both knees are scabs, glasses are broke, a fat lip.... I could keep the list going but I'd probably get tired typing. It even hurts to just move too.

I wish I would have won this fight. If it ever happens again I'm going to, don't need this happening twice!

Gratitude for posting: your post actually spurred me onto creating an account, which has been on my agenda for awhile.

I have had numerous encounters with the pavement, the last being in March when I was walking up the stairs in my building.

Scars kinda look cool tho eh? Dark humor, dark humor.

Seizures are not fun but on cement they are the worst. I had another on Tuesday and am wading through the post symptoms, but I was

at home and don't totally remember, but my hand is cutup and I am dizzy at hot yoga class, so I have rested a few days.

What is your aura like?

And of course the tongue biting. That is also not amusing.

Does anyone carry a night guard (a retainer for keeping teeth in place, similar to what is used by athletes for safety) to circumvent this?

By avoiding the cement do you mean laying down when you know a seizure is imminent?

Hi Valerie
Sorry to hear about your seizure. Hope it doesnt take long to heal.
Was there anyone with you?

Hello. I've had some pretty scary complex partials. Once, I nearly fell onto the tracks at the commuter train station. Thankfully, another person was there and caught me. I also collapsed outside an office building in downtown Chicago. I recall coming to at the hospital after each seizure. Some of the scariest things, though, happened at home. I've given myself second & third degree burns during these seizures--6 or 7 times. The first time it happened, I had boiled eggs & sat down to eat them. The next thing I knew, I had an empty plate in front of me, and blisters all over my hands and arms!!

Oh my gosh Valerie, I'm sorry that happened to you. Not fun at all and I hope you heal back up quickly. Need a Charlie Brown bandaid? I've got plenty.:LOL:

Welcome Wish Granted. Please make an intro post and let us know all about you, always nice meeting new people. :)

Hi Valerie,

I'm sorry to hear about your seizure and I hope you are feeling better. I've had my times in the past
where I've fallen and banged my head good but after a couple of days I was fine. I wish you only the
best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Wish Granted -- Welcome! :)
Valerie -- so sorry to hear about your latest tumble. :( I hope you can rest up and take your time to heal.

Thanks everyone!

Luckily my parents were there and my mom got a pillow under my head. I usually freeze up at the end of a seizure and won't move. They had to pick me up and take me into the house and put me in the bed. Didn't even know I'd had the seizure until they told me like usual.

I'm really surprised that the only thing that hurts now are my knees were a lot of the the scabs are. I'm not sure if it's just the pulling on the scabs when I get up and sit down but I can't get on my knees, that kills me. Still got the big black and blue eye. Could you over night mail that Charlie Brown bandaid to me though CathyAnn?

I really busted up my glasses and I where I got the glasses is closed for a few months. They said that they have to do some stuff before they are able to do things because of COVID-19. I still have the glasses that I had before I got those ones and the prescription hasn't changed much so they should last until then. That's one thing that you make sure you do - Save a pair of glasses so you'll have a pair if something like this happens to you.

What is your aura like?

I very rarely have an aura. When I do I might not feel right, it's sort of hard to explain. Things in the room might not seem to be in the right place.

I have a Vagus Nerve Simulator - https://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/pages/vns-vagus-nerve/
If I feel like I might be going to have a seizure I'll use my magnet and things will usually go back to normal. There have been several times that I must feel like I'm going to have a seizure but I don't catch it in time and I'll be using the magnet on some other part of my body instead of my chest. If someone uses the magnet on me while I'm having a seizure then it brings be out of the seizure quicker.

I have both simple & complex partials. My simple partials aren't a problem. I can feel them come on, and they are usually over in less than 5 minutes, It's the complex ones that cause problems. I don't even know when or if when one has occurred unless there is a witness. If I'm alone, and suddenly find myself in a different part of the house, damage to things around me or with some type injury, I know I have had a complex partial.

Back
Top Bottom