She had her first meltdown tonight

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Questions

How long have you been on Keppra? Has it effected your moods? My daughter is on 500 MG per day and is going up to 1000 MG tomorrow. she hasn't been to school since the second seizure and is anxious about returning. She is not dealing with the diagnosis very well. Driving is a huge issue and she has had meltdowns the past three nights. I'm not sure if it is the prescription or the adjustment to the diagnosis. How is the keppra working and how long did it take for you to get to a point of stability?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm trying to help my child.

Thanks,
Tom

I'm 15yrs old and have lived with epilepsy for as long as I can remember. He worst thing is being around people who don't understand. Like when I got asked to prom by this really cute upperclassman guy and I had to explain to him that I couldn't go because I'm epileptic and the strobe lights would make me have seizures, he then looked at me like I'd grown a few extra heads. It WILL get better. Unlike that upperclassman, there ARE people who understand and get it and actually care. That are there when something happens. That treat you like anyone else. She's still the same person she was last month. She just needs to be around those people that actually care and will treat her the same way she was before epilepsy. Having someone to talk to about it, without them think ur crazy, is probably the most helpful thing. I suggest asking Your daughter's closest friend to help, and make sure that she doesn't close herself off from everyone. Because hiding doesn't do much good. Good Luck.

Also it would do you some good to look into post-ictals. Seizures just don't happen for a few minutes and that's it, they linger and can affect a variety of different things (including mood) for a few days.

I know what it's like to just loose it. I've had epilepsy for about 8 years now (I'm 35) and I've been pretty good at dealing with the things that come along with it. But I had a huge melt down about 2 weeks ago. I locked myself in my parents bathroom for 3 hours crying like crazy. My husband finally talked me out of there but I still kept crying for about another 5 hours after that until I finally fell asleep.

All I wanted to do was to get in a car and go somewhere by myself. I didn't care where it was, I just didn't want anyone to have to take me there.

I can't work because of the epilepsy and it's really hard for me to see my friends because they live about 45 minutes away and have familys.

I take Keppra (1500 mg twice a day) plus I take Tegratol and Lamictal. The keppra does make me moody, they call it kepprage. Sometimes the littlest thing can set me off and I'll get really angry about it.

Try to help your daughter through it. Talk to her about why she is "unable" to do things and not that she "CAN'T" do them. There is only so much that you can do though because she has to realize it on here own, and it's not going to happen over night.

I know my headaches after a seizure are horrible. They last for hours!!!! I usually take some type of headache med (Alive, Tylonol etc...) and get a bag of ice to put on my head. Sometimes I'll put my headphones in and throw a pillow over my head to drown out the world, you'd be supprised how much that can help.

As others said, deffently keep some sort of diary to keep track of her seizures. This way when you see the dr you'll beable to have the info right there and not have to try to remember when and what she did during them.

I hope this helps. You'll find a ton of good information and help from others on this site, I know I have.

Tempertantruming after a seizure is also normal. When I started getting old enough to understand what was going on I was $@%*ing pissed. I threw thing everywhere, because I started realizing all the things other people could do and I couldnt.

I feel her pain...I am sad for your pain...parenting is tough enough. For me the situation was reversed. I had adult onset epilepsy, my daughter was 15. Our roles immediately reversed and she took care of me...we marched thru hell together. She is happily married to a wonderful man and lives too far from me but we will al ways be inseperable. There is an iron bond between us... Thats the hopeful part...the sad part is you really need to watch for changes in mood, temperment, memory and especially anger on the Keppra. The meds are sneaky that way. If it wasn't for my husband...well it would not be good! The most important thing is to listen and learn. I find this site enormously helpful and really helped me come to terms with my life as it is. I went thru 6 neurologists before I finally landed with one I am truly comfortable and it is because he listens. There is so much I didn't realize were actually seizures...it was a great relief and it explained much in my life. Knowledge really is power.

I'm lost and so is she

I know what it's like to just loose it. I've had epilepsy for about 8 years now (I'm 35) and I've been pretty good at dealing with the things that come along with it. But I had a huge melt down about 2 weeks ago. I locked myself in my parents bathroom for 3 hours crying like crazy. My husband finally talked me out of there but I still kept crying for about another 5 hours after that until I finally fell asleep.

All I wanted to do was to get in a car and go somewhere by myself. I didn't care where it was, I just didn't want anyone to have to take me there.

I can't work because of the epilepsy and it's really hard for me to see my friends because they live about 45 minutes away and have familys.

I take Keppra (1500 mg twice a day) plus I take Tegratol and Lamictal. The keppra does make me moody, they call it kepprage. Sometimes the littlest thing can set me off and I'll get really angry about it.

Try to help your daughter through it. Talk to her about why she is "unable" to do things and not that she "CAN'T" do them. There is only so much that you can do though because she has to realize it on here own, and it's not going to happen over night.

I know my headaches after a seizure are horrible. They last for hours!!!! I usually take some type of headache med (Alive, Tylonol etc...) and get a bag of ice to put on my head. Sometimes I'll put my headphones in and throw a pillow over my head to drown out the world, you'd be supprised how much that can help.

As others said, deffently keep some sort of diary to keep track of her seizures. This way when you see the dr you'll beable to have the info right there and not have to try to remember when and what she did during them.

I hope this helps. You'll find a ton of good information and help from others on this site, I know I have.

Valeriedl,

Thank you. She has been doing so much: soccer goalkeeper, basketball, Habitat for Humanity, Share our Strength, 2 jobs and attending a highly competitive high school where she is a Culinary major. She is lost. No sports, no work, no cooking. She has had a headache and trouble reading since the first seizure on May 1. She started vitamin B2 today. I don't know how I can comfort her because all she is thinking about is what she is currently unable to do. Returning to school on Monday after nearly three weeks. She is anxed out with finals coming.

Keppra (2x250mg). Tomorrow, we up it to 2x500. B2, 2x100mg and B6 2x 100mg. She gets really moody between 10 and midnight.

I wish I could find a way to ease her pain.

Thanks again,

Tom

paradise survivor,

Thanks for sharing. She has had a headache and trouble reading since the first seizure on May 1. She started vitamin B2 today. Returning to school on Monday after nearly three weeks. She is anxed out with finals coming.
She gets really moody between 10 and midnight. I am poring over the site and hope to find a way to help her.

Thanks again,
Tom

I have been on most AED's with varying results, most not so good (for me). I am currently on Vimpat. It was a bumpy ride getting started. It took several months to get thru the 'gotta get used to it' part. I also suffered terrible lows.
My doctor saw me once a month and sometimes more as I was adjusting. Fortunately he is more focused on results and patient lifestyle. We finally figured out that I needed to split up my meds and spread them out over the course of the day. Ahhhh! Much better!!! Thanx doc!:banana:

Glad you are finding relief

So glad to hear that you have found something that works for you. :clap:

We should be so lucky.

hi dadoftwins (tom)

My girl is struggling with keppra . Her seziures were more undercontrol with just the lamactal and the depo . Since introducing keppra in feb shes not been doing so well . Her epilepsy nurse is back tomorrow after a week off, our gp has been in touch with her secetary to try and bump up her appointment sooner than july 27th .

Hopefully this is not going to be the outcome for your daughter, and fingers crossed that she is lucky and the keppra works for her .

best of luck

sharron

Thanks!

Sharron,

Thanks for the good wishes. We are all still trying to deal with this. Keppra since Wed. Upped from 250 twice a day to 500mg this AM and another 500mg later. No seizures for 6 days. So far moody, but she is also dealing with a new reality, so I'm not sure if it is the drug or the realization that things have changed.

I hope that you get a quick appointment and can address your daughter's situation. Fingers crossed for you too.

Tom

Paradise Survivor,

I know it will take a while. I have an impatient teen who keeps asking when she will get her life back. Tomorrow is a big day, returning to school. Hoping it doesn't trigger her.

I will work on patience for all of us.

Tom

Last edited:
back several years ago, while firmly planted in the depths of denial (nuther story for nuther time) I had a anaphylactic reacion to a drug totally unrelated to E. The reaction I had caused blindness. Complete blindness in a matter of minutes. Stayed blind for weeks. All I could think about was the loss of the ability to see the printed word...and the very real possibility that I would not see my daughter walk down the aisle. WOW! REALITY CHECK!!!! That started me on the road to acceptence real fast...I don't all ways get it right, I still have my pity days, but I forge ahead. When the pity monster take over and things get black, I know it's the meds talking and it's time to see my doc. Usually I am not the one who notices first, it is my dear husband who sees it and knows it's time to re-evaluate, dosage, meds, sleep schedule, whatever.
The people in our lives that love us our critical to our thriving not just living. It truly is a partnership of love and trust. Trust is a big factor...you are soo vunerable, it really is important to know you are not alone. :e:

Paradise

Paradise,

You are truly inspiring. Thank you. I hope that you can now see.

Tom

My vision returned (Thank God! )And more importantly, I was there to see my dear daughter get married!! Truly a mother's dream...My daughter and I went thru an awful lot. She played parent and I went from VERY independent mom and wife to having my daughter sit in the bathroom while I took a shower. My 15 year old was now my babysitter (God really does have a sense of humor) The thing I hope you can get across to your daughter is life is full of bumps...this is one of many, might even be the biggest but life will go on. You can go with a smile or a frown, your choice, but the journey continues. Many a day I cursed my fate, cried about what could have been,felt like a burden to my family...a big burden! That being said, I have now gone on two cruises with my husband and even went on a helicopter tour with my daughter and son in law...they put me in the middle...My son puts his big arms around me and I still fall, now he is big enough to carry me home. My husband is sooo wonderful and HE CARRIES BAND-AIDS. I do highly recommed a Medic Alert bracelet. It gives a bit of freedom for me and a touch of security for my family. Even when I walk the dog I tie him to me. If anything happens (and it has ) the dog is there and the bracelet lets the emt's contact my family and have immediate access to my medical records. Hang in there, learn all you can. It is scary for you and your daughter...that's why we're here:woot::e:

Back
Top Bottom