Shocking the brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Blessed

New
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was talking to my sister this weekend and she told me she had seen a blip on the news about a new treatment for epilepsy. It involves shocking the brain.:eek: Has anyone heard about this?

Blessesd

Treatment of psychiatric complications

From Epilepsy.com

About Epilepsy & Seizures > Psychiatric and Behavioral Aspects > Treatment of psychiatric complications

Here are some Blurps:
Besides underreporting, another reason for the undertreatment of psychiatric comorbidities in people with epilepsy has been the fear that psychotropic drugs will worsen seizures. Many clinicians have the erroneous belief that all antidepressants, central nervous system (CNS) stimulants, and antipsychotic agents cause seizures and would worsen them in patients with epilepsy. While psychotropic drugs must be used cautiously in patients with epilepsy, they should not be withheld when needed.

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a well-accepted treatment for major depression, usually when the symptoms are refractory to medications. In patients with epilepsy, ECT may be an appropriate treatment intervention for refractory depression or mania. One effect of ECT is a temporary increase in the seizure threshold, which commonly results in the need for higher stimulus intensity during the course of ECT. A complicating factor in the patient with epilepsy is the need to reduce blood levels of AEDs during the course of ECT, with the risk of exacerbating the underlying seizure disorder. Despite this risk, ECT can be a useful treatment for some patients with severe psychiatric symptoms refractory to other treatments. A contraindication to ECT is increased intracranial pressure.

Last edited:
I imagine that news story could also have been talking about the VNS, RNS or Intercept devices which stimulate the brain with electrical impulses.

Got my letter to my GP from my psychiatrist. Psych says that he doesnt think I have an underlying mental illness, just some depression from the seizures interfering with normal living. Said that if neuro and psych cannot agree, that I could benefit from ECT therapy. :(

I knew it was possible that he would ask about this because I know he is doing a study on it and that I got a letter asking if I wanted to be a participant should he think I need it. I didnt sign it though.

Please don't do ECT! It CAUSES seizures and wipes out your memory. I can't think of anything less appropriate for your treatment Rae.

(I'm not against ECT in general. I have a cousin with severe depression who has benefitted from it).

I dont know. Im torn now that I have nothing else. I have no other way of any sort of control. I have no neuro behind me, no psych behind me and if its a way of getting rid of the seizures, I dont know why I shouldnt try it now.

before when I read the letter I thought I would never even consider it, but now that its the only thing anyone is offering as a form of treatment, I dont know if i have a choice. I just want to stop seizing every week.

Your choice is a new neurologist.

I'm assuming the psychologist is doing this for your depression & not your seizures.

If not, shouldn't a neurologist, not a psychologist be prescribing treatment for your epilepsy?

To be honest Rae, the idea really gives me the creeps.
I would get a second, third, fourth and fifth opinion if I were you before considering this seriously.

Yes Eric, its for the depression, but also for the seizures. The letter was forwarded to my old neuro as well to see if he is opposed to it for treating my seizures too.

I could find a new neuro, I just don't have any faith they'l be any different

I'd say find a new neurologist anyway.

From what you've been saying there's very very little chance a new neurologist can be any worse.

I would also agree with Nakamova. ECT does not help seizures and often triggers them in non-epileptic patients.

I'm going to say it again: ECT is NOT a seizure treatment. It is only used to treat severe psychiatric symptoms when all else has failed.

Psych says that he doesn't think I have an underlying mental illness, just some depression
And depression isn't? What does HE consider depression is? A foot disease? A testicular problem? A new form of STD?

Psych says that he doesn't think I have an underlying mental illness, just some depression from the seizures interfering with normal living.
If this were true, then our neurologists would be treating our depression NOT our Psychs. Is this his diagnosis?

just some depression
Not a problem. No biggie. BULLSHIT! He doesn't know how to treat you so he convinces you to be a guinea pig for one of the biggest medical scam I've seen in a while. Must be getting a very large grant for this $tudy. All my alarms and warning bells are at full pitch on this. These doctors are in cahoots, GET ANOTHER OPINION, GIRLFRIEND.

just some depression
Depression is a mental illness. Of all the mental illnesses depression is the hardest one to treat.

{GP}Said that if neuro and psych cannot agree, that I could benefit from ECT therapy.
I think I see your real problem.

Psychiatrists dispense medications to control our mental illnesses.
Psychologist actually treat mental illness.
GP's do not prescribe ECT

Rae don't do it. Please, please, please,PLEASE!!!! Get another opinion and make sure the Psych is not a fan of ECT.

If you do this, you'll never be the same again. ECT damages the brain. READ THIS---> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggin/disturbing-news-for-patie_b_44734.html

ECT is a band-aide on a shark bite.

I am very glad you didn't sign the consent form. Remember this is NOT a treatment but a STUDY , two very different things. I could apply for a grant to see if rubbing bee pollen into ears of epilepsy suffers reduced their seizure, but that doesn't mean it's a bona-fide treatment. Be very careful of what you sign. I feel you are being taken advantage of. Dutch mom said it best,
the idea really gives me the creeps
You need new doctors, sweetie, you really do.

((((HUGS))))

It wasnt the GP prescibing it, it was the psych suggesting it. he is a fan of ECT. he's like almost 70 years old.

I think what he meant by "no underlying mental illnesses" is that there was nothing there before the seizures started, and depression has started because of the stress of dealing with seizures. and I also think he was checking for types of mental illnesses that have seizures as a symptom or coping mechanism.

Rae, if that is what he means than he needs to be more explicit. And coming from old school, he loves ECT and will refuse to believe it causes so much harm. I can hook you up with a very good web site that deals with patients of ECT, both pro and com. But ECT, if considered, would have to be the very last ditch effort for depression.

I don't know how long you have been dealing with epilepsy but when it's sudden on set, people go through a sense of loss, a form of grieving. I think a grief therapist would be excellent for you. I know I went thru a horrible depression when I was first diagnosed and the anti-epileptic medications certainly didn't help. They can cause depression and psychosis!

Rae,

Please get another neurologist. ECT is a serious procedure with serious risks, and a controversial track record.

Some studies show ECT doesn't get rid of meds - people still have to take them or they will relapse at a higher rate.

Dr. Peter Breggin, a Bethesda, Md., psychiatrist, called the study "an open admission that electrical shock is worthless.''

He said the high relapse rate supports critics' theory that ECT causes brain damage that for a few weeks prevents patients from expressing sadness or depression, while leading to possible long-term memory loss.
http://www.ect.org/resources/jama_ap.html

ECT has a success rate of over 80% and can produce a rapid remission of symptoms within one to three weeks. However, ECT cannot prevent a relapse. Patients who have completed a course of ECT are prescribed antidepressant medication, or they receive ECT once a month to prevent recurrence.

http://psychcentral.com/library/depression_tx.htm

If the meds haven't worked on you in the first place, they won't stop remission either.

A serious question: How many times are you willing to shock your brain, Rae. And how often? Please think very seriously about this, and get at least two more opinions. You can't take it back once it's done.

Back
Top Bottom