Should I drive?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
I haven't driven in almost 4 years. And if I do, I won't drive for at least another 3 years. But once I had an absent seizure and ran into my neighbor's parked car. Luckily we were going slow and wearing our seatbelts. Also one time I think I had an absent seizure well riding my bicycle which resulted in me falling down a very small hill (about 6 feet deep) and it resulted in me getting a little scraped up and a massive dent in my helmet. So I'm thinking I should never drive again. I haven't had a TC in like 3 years and a partial in a couple weeks. Even if it were to continue and I never have a seizure again should I drive? I'm honestly not concerned about my safety. I'm concerned about others.

Hi finalpoet,

I've never been able to drive in my life and that's one reason why I had surgery hoping the surgery would stop my seizures but it didn't. I have absence and complex partial seizures and I feel the same way you do I would be more concerned about the safety of others than myself so the only time I would ever drive is if it were a matter of life and death and I was the only one around. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I haven't had a tonic-clonic in over 10 years, but still have simple-partials and C/Ps. I have not driven since 2013 when I ran into a wall and totaled my car because of that seizure. Thank god it was a wall I hit and not a person. I would kill myself if that happened. And I still remember a case here where a woman had a seizure while driving, ran into a restaurant, killing several people. Awful.

If I finally decide I can drive it wouldn't be daily. I'll continue to ride the bus to most places. Cycle to work. The only time I would drive is when it's fully necessary, I just can't find a ride, I'm going to the store for a large pack of water, or maybe a date.

If I finally decide I can drive it wouldn't be daily. I'll continue to ride the bus to most places. Cycle to work. The only time I would drive is when it's fully necessary, I just can't find a ride, I'm going to the store for a large pack of water, or maybe a date.

Stay safe!

I chose not to drive while still in high school, learning to drive. At that time, I only had simple partials--I began having complex partials 20 years ago. In fact, I can remember the day. I had my final behind the wheel practice, & right before class, I had a simple partial. I decided right then & there that I didn't want to risk anyone's life.

The thought of not driving vs driving is depressing to me. I truly love being able to drive, but when the seizures come back, I lose my license again until I am a year seizure free. As many times as I have had my drivers license back and then seizures again, you would think they would “not” allow me to drive again, but they will, or have. Knowing my personal history and truly caring for others, I really shouldn’t drive again even if I were to have another year seizure free, but for me it is sooooo nice, I believe my subconscious would win...

What has been most painful for me about the inability to drive is not being able to do as much as I wanted to for my sons as they have grown up. Not being able to drive affected where any employers I applied to were located when I had tried to work.

Back
Top Bottom