Should I work?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

xenome

New
Reaction score
About a year ago I felt I was kinda... forced to quit my job because of my epilepsy. After that I got another job but I quit after a month because my seizures were happening quite alot. Then I applied for disability and got approved and I have been on SSDI since then. Now, part of me feels that I should go back to work, but my seizures are uncontrolled and Im worried about having seizures at work, and how my coworkers and employer will treat me. Part of me also feels that I should try to be happy and embrace the fact that I dont have to work and just enjoy all the free time I have, but Im worried that everyone will think Im really lazy and pathetic. Can anyone tell me what I should do?

What about a job you can do at home. I mean just some thoughts can you make stuff to sell? Start an on line flower business or somethign of that nature.

Just thoughts that is all. Hope it helps.

I have to say I would never encourage Rebecca not to work. We talk all the time about her dreams for the future. Being in HS her "coworkers" and "employer" see her having seizures all the time. Some treat her differently and yet she has been able to educate a few of them about what it means to live with a disorder like this.

I would think you would want to be productive. I am reading that having a good sense of self often times helps to reduce seizure activity. I read that you felt you were "kinda" forced to quit your job. Sorry but that is illegal. I am sure if you were going to be endangering another human being they might move you to another type of job.

Why not consider finding a wonderful volunteer position that makes you feel proud of your accomplishments each day. It might also get you out of yourself and see that others are somedays dealing with much more. I think there is something to be said about having others needing your services, and a reason to get up each day.

That is my view point.

About a year ago I felt I was kinda... forced to quit my job because of my epilepsy. After that I got another job but I quit after a month because my seizures were happening quite alot. Then I applied for disability and got approved and I have been on SSDI since then. Now, part of me feels that I should go back to work, but my seizures are uncontrolled and Im worried about having seizures at work, and how my coworkers and employer will treat me. Part of me also feels that I should try to be happy and embrace the fact that I dont have to work and just enjoy all the free time I have, but Im worried that everyone will think Im really lazy and pathetic. Can anyone tell me what I should do?

Step 1 : As per the 'lazy and pathetic' thoughts...stop worrying what other's think, and concentrate on yourself. This is one of the most important things you can do in life.

Step 2 : Assess how you REALLY feel. Are your seizures that bad that you really cannot work at all ?

Step 3 : If the answer to step 2 is Yes, then I'm afraid it may be a good idea to sit back, put your feet up, and talk to your Doc about what you can do 'minimize' your sz's.

Step 4 : As soon as YOU are ready, both in body & mind, take a look at what's around you job-wise and find yourself a job in a nice safe environment where you will be working for people who understand your situation.

That's my speech done for the day - enjoy life :rock:

What I really want to do is join the military. But I have to be seizure free for 3 years, I belive. Which is why for the past year Ive just been trying to get stable, unsuccessfully. I do think my seizures happen too often to work, but I could work from home because Im going to have seizures at home whether Im working or not. Problem is, I dont know how to get into a work at home job. Does anyone on here work from home?
I have a brother who is 24 and has never worked a day in his life, he has never had a job before and he just sits at home (he lives at my parents house) and he plays video games all day long. Everyone, including me, gives him so much crap for it. But Im worried that everyone will look at me the same way we all look at him, as a loser. But Im not like him. I dont work because I have seizures. If my seizures were controlled, I would go back to work in a second.

Hi xenome, I'm curious about the Military. Back in 1985 I tried to join the Air Force (not to fly planes) but because of the convulsion as a baby and the petite mal seizures, they said they couldn't ever accept me. It looks like 3 years seizure free is now OK. Does anyone know when the new rule for the military was enacted or if it is specific branches of the service only?

Xenome, you are not your brother. And you shouldn't think that you'll be judged by the same criteria. I understand wanting to feel productive. My suggestion, if you can't work outside the home..perhaps you should consider volunteering. Maybe go work at an animal shelter. Heaven knows they need all the help that they can get. And animals won't judge you after a seizure. :) As for the home business, I have no clue. But find something to do that makes you happy. What do you enjoy?

I have considered volunteering, but then I wonder if I am ok to get up everyday and go to work for free at some organization, then wouldnt I be able to get up everyday and work for money?

I think it is called baby steps. Sounds like you are putting up road blocks at every turn.
I agree with Skillefer's suggestion and find something that makes you happy, and then perhaps it might work into a full time position.

xenome,

You mentioned that you are now on disability.
If you did work for money, it would interfere with your disability insurance, possibly to the point of disqualification, then if you had to quit your job due to seizures and not qualify for D.I. then you're really screwed.

I'm in the same situation and feel totally worthless and tend to get depressed and lazy.

To get that feeling of worth and accomplishment, as mentioned above, you should volunteer for something and also, that won't screw up your D.I. and in a way, it will be like getting paid.

Just my own opinion.

Randy

Back
Top Bottom