Shoulder Dislocations Anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have read statistics from various places over the years on shoulder dislocations during/after seizures and was just wondering about members here at CWE. Anyone here experienced this? If so, describe your experience, what was done about it and did it work?

I am 30 years post opp from bilateral Bristow Bone Block and my shoulders and hardware are now completely worn out. Despite the surgery, they have been dislocating during my seizures for about the past 8 years. Docs tell me that eventually I will more than likely have to have complete shoulder replacement.

I dislocated my shoulder during a seizure. Then re-dislocated it during a subsequent seizure. After that, my shoulder started popping out all the time, even from something as a simple as reaching back behind me. Eventually I learned how to pop it back in instead of going to the ER. After the 7th dislocation, I went to see an orthopedic surgeon, and had laparoscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum in the shoulder. It's not perfect, there's a dent in the shoulder that means it can still get stuck in certain ways. I haven't had a seizure since the surgery, so I don't know if it will hold or not.

Mockinbird,

I'm so sorry to hear about your shoulders. I do have to say that after one complex partial I had a MONSTER bruise on my left shoulder with what felt like a deep bone bruise and I couldn't move my arm for a few days. Since I was unconcious at the time, I have no idea what happened. It has healed fully.

Wish I could help. I have long-term shoulder problems, but it's not from injuries from seizures.

The problems are from an old sports injury (torn rotator cuff that never healed fully), and intense pain from a disease called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. I refused the surgery for the torn rotator cuff. My shoulder still pops out a bit now and then, and like Nakamova have learned to pop it back in myself. Should have this fixed but I'm not going to. (I'm surgery-aphobic)

left shoulder several times, it stays swollen from my around my c-7 around to the middle of my ribs. My right only a few. I usually fall on my right wrist. But i wear my backpack on my right partially cause my left is always too torn up.

I have read statistics from various places over the years on shoulder dislocations during/after seizures and was just wondering about members here at CWE. Anyone here experienced this? If so, describe your experience, what was done about it and did it work?

I am 30 years post opp from bilateral Bristow Bone Block and my shoulders and hardware are now completely worn out. Despite the surgery, they have been dislocating during my seizures for about the past 8 years. Docs tell me that eventually I will more than likely have to have complete shoulder replacement.
Sounds like we are in the same sinking ship. I had bilateral Bristow Bone Blocks done on my shoulders too, left in 1974 & right in 1983 or so. Then a Putti-Platt on my left after the bone block broke. Don't remember when though but a long time ago. Both the bone blocks broke but the right side stopped dislocating for some reason and became stable. My original surgeon told me back in 1974 & 1983 I'd have to have Shoulder replacements by the time I was 40. I'm pushing 60 pretty hard and am in the process of scheduling my left one to be done. It should have been done 10 years ago. Both my shoulders have very severe arthritis, both have a torn labrum, lots of osteophytes (bone spurs) which are very painful. I have other problems in my shoulders but I can't think any more tonight. I take Fentanyl, Norco, Celebrex and a lot of it. Like yours my shoulders and the hardware is completely worn out. I'd say your only lasting option is the total shoulder replacement. Any other type surgery is only putting off the inevitable and may cause more damage in the long run. Even if you have a seizure and a dislocation a prosthesis can be reduced like a natural humerous. I'd guess your shoulders dislocated anteriorly and would think they would be easier to reduce. Though it may be more difficult in some situations but it could always be put back surgically if push came to shove. Your shoulders are eventually (if not already) going to get severe degenerative arthritis in at least the Glenoid and humerous and probaly other areas as well. The longer you wait the worse it's going to get. I speak from experience, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not shoulder

well i am having problem but not with my shoulder but my little toe. Its getting fractured again and again. Dont know the reasons! May be calcium deficiency to to Phynetoin. if u know something do tell!

Jake did you ever get the surgery done. Facing the same dilemma. I have never had a dislocation during one of my seizures but it is worn out because of work and arthritis. I have heard concerns though about replacing the shoulder and falling from a seizure. Just wondered how yours worked out for you.

Back
Top Bottom