Side Effects of Phenobarbital

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
As I have mentioned in other threads, my infant son (age 10 months) has been taking phenobarbital since he was just a few days old. I have often read that phenobarbital has the potential to cause learning problems and other issues in children. My question is: if these side effects affect my son, would it be something apparent while he is actually on the medication, or is it something that could happen later on down the road after he has stopped taking it? I mean, let's say he takes the medicine for two years and then stops because he no longer has seizures. Would he still be at risk for learning disabilities when he is three, four, five, or even ten? Hope my question is clear.

I think the operative term here is *has the potential*.
I know as a parent you look for every possible indication, but as a mother who had to take Tegretol while pregnant with my youngest, let me assure you, possibility doesn't always result in eventuality.
By all means, keep your eyes on your child, but take a step back too.... I'd wait until your child starts talking and stuff like that before running off to the doctors with concerns.
I'm not by any means diminishing your concerns, I'm just saying it doesn't end in problems every time.
:)
Xx

Back
Top Bottom