• My Simple Partials are controlled

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • My Simple Partials are uncontrolled / poorly controlled

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I've been declared intractable / refractory

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • I am undergoing alternative methods

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I am on too many / too little medication(s)

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • I feel that the have Simple Partials isolate me

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • I feel that the Simple Partials have ruined my life

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Simple Partials keep me restricted from things I would like to do

Votes: 41 31.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks Eric... i think i need to discuss this with my neurologist, or my nurse if i see her first.

I'm pretty sure that more than one or two of those apply to me, but i'm not going to worry too much until i talk to someone because i tend to over react to stuff. It all makes a lot of sense though. Thanks for the link *bookmarks for future reference*

I saw this thread while I was googling Simple Partial Seizures and after reading some of other's experiences with how they are reacting to a seizure, my seizures I had in the hospital were the same way!

Im really wanting to get with my dr and let him know exacly everything that took place during my seizures while I was in the hospital for my VEEG. Im finding that instead of having my complex partial seizures which Ive always had in the past, I had the simple partial seizures. I was alert through out the entire seizure, I had the Nausus stomach pain before the seizure, along with numbing and tingling in my hands and feet. Once the seizure began, the numbing sensation went to by face, and all over my body. I can hear everything people are asking me and telling me, but the jerking of my body I cant control. It first started out on a certain side of my body, but the more I had, the jerking went to all over my body. My back would be arched, and my hands would be turned outward, stiffened, and by the time the seizure was over, my whole body felt weak, and heavy. My legs alone felt like they weighed 1000lbs each! I remember needing to go to the restroom and the nurses having to help me, I was so weak, I couldnt barely get out of bed by myself.

I have a follow up appointment with my neuorologist May 25th. His office set me a appointment with a psych dr for in a couple of days. I really dont think I need to go, but Im going to go anyways. My dr thinks these seizures are stress related, but like I told him before, I never had these seizures before I was taken off my medication cold turkey to do the VEEG. I was put back on the Keppra XR on the 4th day of the VEEG, and my last seizure occured two days after. Since then Ive had no more seizures.

My gut is telling me that these were simple partial seizures.

My son's gran mal and focal seizures are controlled with his meds as far as we know but I'm wondering if the episodes he is having lately might be a partial seizures. Anyone heard of or experienced seizures that cause flu like symptoms? My son is having episodes where he gets very pale, breaks into a cold sweat, hyperventilates (he looks sort of like you look when you have the flu and feel like you have to vomit but he doesn't vomit), he thinks he has to go to the bathroom and sometimes does. His eyes roll up into head, he gets very weak and sometimes faints. It takes about 10 min for him to regain color and function. He is then very tired for the rest of the day. Thanks for any response.

My Simple Partials are like a Dejavu, sometimes I can still talk and others I slip so deeply into it northing else matters. Yes, I still know whats going on around me, but sometimes I just sit there and let the feeling of it take over. It sort of makes me feel like (and dont laugh) aaahhhhhhhhhhh....I really dont feel my body, its sorta like floating and in this other world and I have this dejavu sensation.
Its funny how it makes me feel, but then after it happen I will get these sharp pains on the right side and top of my head and I need to lay down.

No reason to laugh..... I feel the same euphoria with some of my seizures.

Last edited:
A sharp pain you say. I wonder if my son is having sharp pains. He had an episode today when he screamed and started lashing out to grab people like he was in sudden pain.

You can have partial seizures (focal seizures i.e. only affect part of the brain) without turning into secondrily generalised (affects all of the brain) such as tonic-clonic seizure

I've had these simple partials since I was about 11 or 12, but just diagnosed this past week. I get this intense deja vu feeling, and I know I've been here and done this before. My face goes numb and the feeling just takes over completely. Its almost like I know what they are going to do or say next. They last about 30-45 seconds and then the overwhelming nausea and headache take over. While I'm in the siezure I feel fear and panic, but I cant express it. I've tried to tell others about this and its always been brushed off as.. hmm thats weird... it wasnt until I had a tonic-clonic that I was diagnosed.

My partials are strange, strange strange ....

I get that 'deja vu' feeling. Things look like they are in technicolor...I feel that if I do certain things, like move a certain way, or say certain things, or whatever it is that i do during that time, that it leads me further down the ...rabbit hole... as i call it.

That feeling of deja vu is like i am in a dream where I know what is going to happen. And what's wierd about it is that i DO know what is about to happen, and if I go through with it, it usually makes me generalize. My stomach hurts, feels like i am going downhill on a roller coaster. Feels like I am about to die.

I joke with myself about that feeling of dread..its like being on the edge of a cliff and jumping, and knowing that death is soon near. Everything around me sounds like its in a tunnel.

I have been able to fight it off at times by doing certain things, like screaming, rocking back and forth, or fighting the urge to do what my mind tells me is coming next. There are times where I can't fight it.

That feeling is an old, familiar feeling.....and I wouldn't mind it as much since i keep consciousness...but there have been times in the past few years where i can see myself shaking and thats at the point where I pass out and generalize.

By that time i usually make sure that i have a pillow or something nearby, or that i m laying down on the floor. I try to protect myself cause that experience is the warning time. Its hard to tell how long it lasts but it can't be more than a minute or so.

Mnm8405 & BlueSkies2220: All this sounds like it may be happening to my son. His gran mals have stopped with the Zonisamide and Vimpat he's on. The Vimpat is what actually stopped them but it has to be taken in conjunction with another AED. However, he has been having these strange panic episodes and also fainting/almost fainting episodes. Soooo, we just started him on a slow titration of Trileptal with the goal of getting him off of Zonisamide (which I suspect may have something to do with the startling awake at night and his high highs and low lows). I hope it makes a difference because he is pretty miserable right now and these weird episodes are making life difficult. I get the feeling he is hallucinating in some way when he has the panic episodes so it could be what you two are describing. Thanks all for the info. It helps a great deal since my son can't communicate his feelings.

It took me a few months on my medication before my partials stopped. I was glad that I was no longer having tonic-clonic seizures, but the partials would still happen..but after taking my medication for a while, they stopped.

Hopefully the meds will control these a little better. I'm on Keppra 1500mg a day, and it seems to do the trick. I did make a poor decision to stop taking them because my emotions were out of control.. and I had another episode... I'd rather deal with the emotions than the seizures! I'm glad to meet other people who have dealt with the same thing, not that I'm happy your going through these.. just that I'm not crazy :)

My son's docs won't try Keppra on him because they say it can cause aggression and apparently the emotional stuff you mentioned. I think it's because he has a lot of brain damage from a hemorrhage and they think guys like him are more predisposed to the side effects. I kind of wish we could try it because it's a drug that has no damaging effects to internal organs such as liver. I have heard that with Keppra it's real important that it is taken at EXACTLY on time every day to avoid some of the emotional disturbance. I guess that's because it is flushed through the system completely after it's half life ends. It's one of those good but bad things.

I kind of wish we could try it because it's a drug that has no damaging effects to internal organs such as liver.

You're half right there lynnrx52. Most meds do put a strain on the liver because that is where they are processed. Keppra is processed in the kidneys so it is more likely to put a strain on the kidneys than the liver. That's why they don't recommend it if someone has kidney problems.

That might make it easier to take knowing that it's not right for your son.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: kidney disease (including dialysis treatment), mental/mood disorders (such as depression).

http://www.rxlist.com/keppra-drug.htm

Last edited:
I am not sure if these "episodes" I get are seizures. Once in awhile, out of the blue I get a quick jolt or I thought dizzy spell. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said myclonic jerks but its not my hand, or leg but my whole body. It lasts seconds but enough that its noticeable to me and sometimes to the someone close as I jump up fast or sit down. I also get a headache afterwards or have a headache before. Any ideas?

Chris

chris2kids, I understand the dilemna, I can't tell if my son's episodes are seizures or something else like side effects from his meds or anxiety or what. Have you spoken to your doctor about these?

Yes and he said it could be myclonic jerks..wanted me to increase medicine which I am reluctant since it has increased with the medicine. Myclonic jerks are spasms but that is not what i am experiencing. Thanks.

My son had myoclonic jerks when he was a small child. His head would suddenly jerk downward. He was put on clonazepam for that. They did go away.

Back
Top Bottom