• My Simple Partials are controlled

Votes: 23 17.7%
  • My Simple Partials are uncontrolled / poorly controlled

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I've been declared intractable / refractory

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • I am undergoing alternative methods

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • I am on too many / too little medication(s)

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • I feel that the have Simple Partials isolate me

Votes: 22 16.9%
  • I feel that the Simple Partials have ruined my life

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Simple Partials keep me restricted from things I would like to do

Votes: 41 31.5%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

can i ask is it possible to have partial sezures and tonic clonic ones??.... i only been dignoised with tonic ones..... but all the symptoms of partial are what i feel now and then!!

I'm not an expert on all the possibilities for sure but I do know that my son has several types of seizures. We can't do an EEG on him while he's awake so the doc relies on our descriptions of events. Have you told your doctor about all your symptoms? An EEG may help diagnose too.

can i ask is it possible to have partial sezures and tonic clonic ones??.... i only been dignoised with tonic ones..... but all the symptoms of partial are what i feel now and then!!

It's very possible to have both types of seizures. I have partial seizures but when things get bad I have the occasional Tonic/Clonic.

A seizure can also start as a partial then evolve into a Tonic/Clonic in which case the partial would be considered the aura.

I always have an aura everytime before I go into a seizure and most times I can't remember what I do/did, so I rely on those around me to tell of my latest adventure into Seizureland I do all sorts of crazy things and tend to have a hatred for pictures hanging on a wall and shower curtains/rods. Very rarely am I aware of what I do, but when I am it makes no difference because I forget it all anyway. Such is the way of Seizureland for me and I just hang on, try to maintain what sanity I have left & enjoy my ride because it could always be worse. Thanks for all the info & God bless.

mine are auditory hallucinations. The volume of something ramps up in my brain, I am not able to say what I want to. Do not loose consiousness. When I was young I would keep riding my horse. I can write and what I have written before one time ended up In court. It made sence but the other attorney thougt I was reffering to the case and hiding something. Just the opposite, I was saving what I said. High stress, an Arbitration. Pretty funny! That happened in 1995.
Been on meds for 40 years. Take care of your bone density gals and guys too!!! bc

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

i have the aura before i have a tonic clonic.... they are real bad but alot of days i get the same sort of feeling... not as bad but defo same type thing but have no tonic clonic, i just always thought it was side effects from tabs thats was i was trying to explain to neros, but now im not to sure it is side effects

Thanks Hand of Blood, that's helpful. I agree that it may not be side effects but somehow related to sort of a pre-seizure brain activity that never fully develops into a seizure. However I'm sure the meds can create some strange sensations as well.

"Kojewnikoff Syndrome"!!!!!! I've never heard of this!!! THIS IS WHAT I HAVE!! My simple partial seizures usually last up to an hour or more. I've never had a seizure that only lasted a few seconds. My doctor knows this. He always asks how long my seizures last, and I usually say it's usually anywhere from a half hour to a couple of hours. But he's never told me there's a name for it and that it's actually the simple partial version of Status Epilepticus. WOW.
This is what my seizures are like:
Now that they're mostly controlled with meds:
Usually starts in my right leg/ankle/hip- shaking and slight jerking. Makes it difficult to walk.
Sometimes spreads to the whole right side of my body all the way up to my ear. If I sit still, other people have no idea I'm having a seizure, but I feel like my muscles are crawling. And as soon as I try to move, then comes the jerky motion.
Before they were controlled by meds:
Shaking, slight jerking in the whole right side of my body. At their worst, my muscles would grab and release a few times in a row. Sometimes I couldn't talk while this was happening just because the right side of my body was squeezing itself so hard. And then it would go right back to just shaking, and a few minutes later it would do that muscle-grabbing thing again. Thank goodness I don't have those anymore. One time when I was having a lot of those is when it generalized into a gran mal. I was having so much trouble sleeping because my muscles would do that grabbing thing so hard about 5 times right in a row, then only give me about 5 minutes to rest, and then do it again! Then one time when it did it again, it generalized. I was awake for too much of it though because I remember my whole body curling up into a tight ball and I couldn't breathe and I tried to scream but I couldn't do anything. The next thing I remember was waking up about a half hour later with a sore body and a hole bitten through my tongue. That was the scariest experience of my life. The next day I started meds.

For some reason they've been worse than usual for the past week. I haven't had them in my upper body in a long time, but this week I have. I've been trying to finish knitting a scarf for my brother for Christmas, but I've been having a hard time with my arm constantly shaking and/or feeling weird!

Last edited:
can you speak words when this happens? I have it where words won't come out for about 10-20 seconds. Sooooooooo weird!

If you're having a speech delay it could be definitely be a simple partial seizure.

I've been declared intractable / refractory... for the time being.

Nothing worse than simple in years, yet still very rough, and never had a Grand-Mal/T-C nor a Peti-Mal.

I'm refractory and my neuro wasn't to know when my sz's are increasing, but he has a secretary who wont return my calls.Now I'm having tonic clonic,complex partial,absence ,simple partial sz.I'm having seizures in clusters and when my neuro calls me today I'm telling him again about her not returning my calls.I might get a feeling in my head before my sz that' sit sometime a headache.

The term simple partial encompasses such a range of events. Quite a few years ago, I had a couple instances of odd visual distortions. I also had and continue to often have the burning smells (that can be very strong and sometimes last for hours), and just recently had the simple partials that start with one limb shaking and then that uncontrolled movement spreading down the left side of my body.

I know the word "simple partial" is a label-but it covers so many different events. When people here refer to having simple partials, I am never sure which kind they mean In general, do you use this term to mean one kind more than another?

My partials consist of a sensation of weakness on the left side of my body, some briefly, sometimes much longer and smelling unpleasant odors, usually something burning but can also be a sickly, sweet smell. The odors very frequently last for hours/ maybe days. The longer the symptoms last the more exhausted I become. They usually last longer if I have been ill or very tired. If they are brief, seconds to just a couple minutes they don't seem to leave me exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom