Skye McCole Bartusiak

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I just saw the ticker on CNN. Sooo sad.

Skye McCole Bartusiak SUDEP

This is a scary part of seizure disorders. Skye McCole Bartusiak the actress from The Patriot (with ink blackened teeth) died in her sleep.

I told my wife it might not be a bad way to go. When I have a seizure in my sleep I don't know it. She is still mad at me. :paperbag:

Maybe not a bad way for you, but think of your wife and others who know you. It isn't a fun thing to witness.
I once met a lady @ a Starbucks nearby who lost her 17 year-old daughter to SUDEP. She had only been diagnosed with E 4 years earlier. They found her not breathing one morning and rushed her to the hospital, but it was too late. So, so sad. Now this family is doing all they can to educate others about SUDEP and getting help for those who need seizure dogs.

Last edited:
It was an insensitive thing for me to say, but I meant to comfort her by telling her the truth, seizures in my sleep do not hurt and I don't remember them. I am putting my affairs in order so that has her on high alert.

The truth hurts. It may be easy on you, but Cint is right. Either way, we all gotta die sometime/somehow. That's why I try not to take life too serious.

I've had sz's in my sleep since I was a little kid and I have let out a sceam since I was a little kid that is a blood curdling scream.
I wouldn't appreciate my dh saying a sz would be a good way to go.

I told my wife it might not be a bad way to go. When I have a seizure in my sleep I don't know it. She is still mad at me. :paperbag:

Yeah, being on the other end of that situation is not fun. High stress, adrenaline and sleep deprivation are just a few of my "favorite" things...

Back on subject:
Actress Skye McCole Bartusiak, best known for her role as Mel Gibson’s daughter in The Patriot, has died after having seizures, according to reports.

Bartusiak passed away Saturday at her family’s Texas home after a week of epileptic seizures, her mother told CNN, adding that she tried to resuscitate the dying girl before paramedics arrived.

'We lost our girl,' mother Helen McCole Bartusiak told the network. 'She was a kind and really beautiful girl.'

The young woman's boyfriend found her sitting up on a bed in a garage apartment next to the house, the mother added.

'We think she had a seizure and choked and nobody was there,' she said.

The woman frantically tried to bring her dying daughter back to life while paramedics raced to the scene.

'I've done CPR on that kid more than one time and it just didn't work this time,' she lamented.

Once there, paramedics worked on her for 45 minutes without being able to save her life, the grieving mother added.

She had suffered epileptic seizures for most of her life until they inexplicably went away for a few years until returning last week.

More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Patriot-dead-age-21-died-having-seizures.html

Scary stuff. Are there any certain types of seizures that are more likely to cause sudden unexplained death?

SUDEP is more common in people with:
• frequent convulsive seizures.
• early age of onset of epilepsy.
• long duration of epilepsy.
• higher number of antiepileptic medications, and at high doses.
• frequent medication changes.
SUDEP rates are highest in people aged 20-40, and greater in men than women.

It seems to be caused by breathing and/or cardiac issues triggered by a seizure. But they don't yet know a whole lot about exactly what happens. Hopefully studies will produce better information about identifying who might be at risk, and prevention.

Thank you Nakamova. You have so much knowledge. I have learned more here than I have anywhere else.

even after having brain surgery the reality of SUDEP scares the shit out of me.
and i fit most of the list nak. enjoy every day cuz it may be your last right :ponder:

yes, SUDEP is scary, and it has claimed CWE members. :(

it scares me how easily i could have ended up like Skye with my grand mal some months ago. My mother was in the neighbouring bedroom and only realised that i was having a seizure in my sleep because my body was banging against the wall and creating a noise.

Back
Top Bottom