Sleep Paralysis and E

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
I'm very curious to know if sleep paralysis is a type of seizure, is it related to E or is it unrelated? I only ask because at 17 I had sleep paralysis for a few years (approx. 3) and didn't have breakthrough seizures (SCP) until 26 - 27ish and wasn't diagnosed with E until 30 when I had my 1st TC. I've never had a sleep study and thankfully I haven't had the sleep paralysis in years, but is it possible that it's my sleep problem (also a night owl as long as I could remember regardless of how much sleep I get the night before) that causes the seizures, hence E? Meaning, if one could fix their sleep problem than perhaps this could stop the seizures? (Now after RTL surgery only nocturnal and even when they originally started they were nocturnal).

I'm almost tempted to call my neuro and ask him if we could determine if I really have a sleep problem and if so, can we work on fixing that 1st and see if the seizures stop. But my guess is he will be reluctant because as I was told, "We're not concerned with finding out why but rather stopping the seizures" which makes no sense to me if someone really just has a sleep problem. Perhaps that's why I'm having seizures 4 years after surgery because we never fixed the underlying problem. I will get to the bottom of this E! :ponder: and YES, thanks to all of you!

I'm very curious to know if sleep paralysis is a type of seizure, is it related to E or is it unrelated?

Check out these previous discussions about sleep paralysis.

... is it possible that it's my sleep problem (also a night owl as long as I could remember regardless of how much sleep I get the night before) that causes the seizures ...

Disturbed sleep is a huge factor for a lot of people. Many members have found their seizure incidence diminish after being diagnosed (and treating) sleep apnea, for example.

... Perhaps that's why I'm having seizures 4 years after surgery because we never fixed the underlying problem.

As it was explained to me, the surgery replaces natural scar tissue with surgical scar tissue. It takes roughly two years for the brain to fully heal from the surgery. See the efficacy section posted here: temporal lobectomy

I have also had sleep paralysis in the past before finally getting diagnosed. I wonder if it was the start of my epilepsy and could have been a seizure not treated and thus eventually me finally getting diagnosed with epilepsy due to complex partial seizures and simple partial.

I will ask my neuro today for you, and cause Im also curious and get back to you.

BTW I have been looking back at my past to see if the epilepsy started years ago and I realise the sleep paralysis for me started right after a head injury....so it may be related I dont know.

As for the head injuiry, it was not TBI... BUT me stupidly being a teenager (14) and my first time ski-ing decided to leave my group and go down the advanced slope. In the UK (where I was living at the time) there is not enough snow so we have ones made out of a kind of mesh which is pretty dangerous to fall on.
Well I lost control, the next thing I remember was someone kicking off my ski-s and telling me to get up. Im guessing I was unconscious for maybe 5 minutes cause it would have taken them that long to come over from the easy slope.

I got up... blood everywhere... from the nose...and swollen face with a dry ski slope pattern over it lol...black eye also......*sigh... teenage years.

Back
Top Bottom