Sleep paralysis with seizures!? HELP!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

wendyj

New
Reaction score
Hi! I'm not an english native speaker, so sorry if i have any mistakes in my ortography

Im writing here because I've been recently experiencing sleep paralysis.
That's basically cuz i disordered my whole sleep time (partying when i was in Brazil, and studying, im about to graduate). I used to woke up at 4pm and be awake till 7:30 am for a month. So this kind of dreams and finally sleep paralysis began.

So the thing is about two weeks ago, i had again sleep paralysis, but this time when i tried to move i felt like electricity in my body and a wind/sound really hard to describe which was pushing me to get asleep again.

So I fought against this and I felt like a shotdown, and my arms started getting rigid and estreched from my body. The same happened with fingers, they streched and joined strongly. Then I bit my low lip, all this like a reflex action. I couldnt control any of it , but i was conscious all the time. And then finally started this movement, the only way i can describe it is like convulsions, like contract and relax my left shoulder.

It lasted like mm less than a minute i think. Again I was conscious the whole time. It just happened again yesterday but i didnt fight so much to move -cuz i was afraid of the "seizure"- so it wasn't that bad. I had the movement again but no rigid limbs or fingers, no lip bitting either but teeth gnashing this time.

So you guys in your experience... do you think this is a seizure?
Thanks!

Hi Wendy & Welcome to CWE.

It's funny you should bring this up because I just read about sleep paralysis today. I think from what you described is just sleep paralysis and not a seizure. It usually happens when we're not fully awake so it's very possible that what you remember is a dream.

According to the book "Think: Why You Should Question Everything" by Guy P. Harrisson, page 109, chapter 3
"Ever heard of sleep paralysis with hallucinations? This surprisingly common phenomenon may occur in as much as 20 percent of the adult population.
When we fall asleep, our brains normally will restrict our physical movements so we don't spend the entire night punching ourselves in the head while dreaming. As we wake up, our brains release our bodies from this state of partial paralysis. But sometimes, for some people, the brain "wakes up" before it frees the body. These people find themselves partially awake but unable to move. Add to that an ongoing dream/nightmare or hallucination, and you have the makings of a confusing and potentially disturbing event.

Thanks for the reply!

Yep I know about that, in fact i had other type of hallucinations. Auditory
and visual ones (pretty scary btw).

But this kind of thing its not because my father, who was sleeping with me that night, saw it and freaked out. He got awaked by my teeth gnashing.

So its not an hallucination :(

wendyj

You have a problem and the first thing you need to do is go to bed for the day and let your body rest, I know, you are getting rest now and it still happens, but the rest now is not making up for what your body missed out on. So its bed first, and refresh yourself and your body. Now that your body is back to normal you can start to determine everything, like exactly how much of the contracting of the muscles is associated with what is happening.

epileric is right in a lot of ways, in what he says.

Thanks for the advice!
Actually sleeping is the problem.
I sleep until 1pm everyday cuz i just cant wake up before that. And after that i feel sleepy the whole day. Im doing my thesis with coffee.
And still this weird movement is happening

Back
Top Bottom