Sleep Study

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
So, first let me say that I'm finally going to get a sleep study, provided via the VA (Veterans Affairs). However, there's a "funny" (annoying 🙄) story that goes with it.

I've been getting phone calls for the last month (since they approved it) from the VA to remind me that I have an appointment on December 19 (yesterday, Thursday) @ 9 AM. Okay. Fine. Earlier this week, Monday, I decided to call the sleep center since I hadn't heard from them AT ALL. I figured I would've gotten a call directly from them or a letter (SOMETHING) to give me some more details as to where to show up, who to talk to (ANYTHING). The Do's and Don'ts of the situation (ie yes you may bring this, PLEASE DON'T bring that! etc). So I called and gave them my info. Hmmmm, we don't see anything for you on that date... Great! (good thing I called). So I asked them if they had me down at all?!? She looked and said, "Oh yeah. I see you're scheduled for 1/9/2020 @ 3:30 PM. Huh? Are you sure?? Yep...

So I called the VA back and asked them (TOLD THEM), hey, you've been "reminding" me about my "appointment" for a month now, yet I don't have it until 1/9/2020... wanna explain?? They couldn't. I went back to my approval letter... guess what the correlation was... yep, that date and time was the starting date the VA ~APPROVED~ for them to pay for the test and that I have 180 days to do it within. That same day (and the next day) I got another REMINDER of my "appointment" for the 19th. Sigh... 🙄

Anyway, now that you have that "entertaining" story, I have an appointment on the 9th (supposedly 🙄😂). What is your opinion on sleep and if I were to find out that I have a sleep disorder of some kind and end up using CPAP machine? As weird as it may sound to say this, I ALMOST want to "have to" use/need one. I know it'll suck (blow actually 🤪), but if it helps me sleep better and therefore helps my seizures, then so be it! Seems like every night, I wake up within 3-4 hours in the middle of the night and just toss and turn the rest of the night. It's been like that for a couple of years now.

That's been one of the most annoying things about our condition. THERE'S NO OUTRIGHT SOLUTION!! We're all different and certain things effect us differently. Like I've said before, if I knew what was causing them, then I'd just make sure to stop doing it (in turn, stopping my seizures).

Against CPAP? For CPAP? Experience with CPAP?

Hi Army Vet,

I'm not to happy with the VA hospital and they better get their act together especially when they are to be taking care of all the vets.
I've had the sleep study done and I didn't have to wear a mask or anything my neuro found out that I was having seizures in my sleep
and that's one reason why I always felt exhausted in the morning when I first woke up. Be sure that the Dr. does both an e.e.g. and e.k.g.
while doing the study.
You will probably have to cut back on the sweets and caffeine the day before the test and I had to stay up all night long so the Dr.
could get detailed test results. You may be just like me I always wake up between 3 and 4 am because I am used to getting up at 4:30 am
to get ready for work so my body just automatically wakes up and this may be why you wake up when you do. My main concern is are
you having seizures in your sleep. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom