sleeping arrangements??

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Macy'sMom

New
Reaction score
My daughter is 12 and has been sleeping with me since she started having seizures a couple of months ago. I'm scared to have her leave my sight much less sleep in her room down the hall.
Just wondering what you guys are doing as far as sleeping.

Some parents use a baby monitor, or take turns keeping their child company at night -- at least until they have a sense of how controlled the seizures are. Does your daughter have seizure control now, or is it too early to tell?

this is so new to us....I don't even know. she hasn't had a seizure in 3 weeks, since starting medication. before that she had two grand mal and many partial in just two weeks.

It's an excellent sign that she's responsive to the medication. You might check with her neurologist for some safety recommendations and perhaps a guideline on how vigilant you need be. If your daughter continues to have seizure control then eventually she should be able to sleep alone. When "eventually" is will depend on both your comfort levels.

You can also get a seizure alert device that starts beeping when its activated by the rocking jerking motions and starts a timer as well.

i used to sleep with my door closed and my light off and i DID NOT want an intercome. i'm sixteen and i think that would take away complete independence. if your daughter likes her room dark, and this is what i have done, my door has come off and now i have a curtain so it's dark. i make noise when i have seizures so the whole house hears me so most likely, you will hear her. my parents check on me and the night i have a seizure i sleep in the same room as them or they sleep in my room. its kinda obnoxious but it works. my mom moved my bed so i could not object, while i was at school. so that it was away from all window sills and objects that could hurt me. she placed a flashlight by the door so she can look at me without waking me up during the night. its weird to have all of my independence gone all of a sudden but i guess it is necessary

oh ok i thought she didn't, but in the future. when she gets older. its good to have a plan but hopefully her seizures will be controlled

I was using a baby monitor for my son (5yrs old) at night but I am too much of a worry wort and decided to buy one of the video monitors too. That seemed to calm my nerves for a few days but now he is back in the bed with me. He seems to sleep better and so do I. When he is ready to go back in his own bed I will let him but for now this is whats makes us the most comfortable. I would rather it be this way than for him to have a seizure and I am not aware!

unfortunately Jessica's seizures when she has them are silent ones..she doesn't normally make any noice..not like at first when they started :/ but we have baby monitors for when needed!

Hello Macy's Mom. My DD is 9 and started having seizures when she was 7. Our neurologist suggested a baby monitor for us. It does give you peace of mind that you can hear them sleeping and any strange noises are attended to quickly! This might help with your DD. We didn't want our DD to be afraid to sleep alone and with the monitor she knows we will be there. It takes some time to get used to the new normal....

My son is 8 years old and has had epilepsy for going on 5 years. All of my sons seizures happen between 5-7 am. The doctors suspect it has something to do with him coming out of REM sleep. So for a while I had him sleep with me also. I purchased a color camera/monitor with motion sensing alarm. It would wake me up every time he rolled over but at least I put him back in his bed. Once his seizures got under control I was confortable letting him sleep without it. Of course if he is sick or really tired I still have him sleep with me though.

We got rid of the wireless babymonitors after we discovered neighbour could see our son on their pc. Now we've installed wired 3 LCD-monitors in our living, bedroom and study. We have a camera in the living to watch our son when we are out of the room and two camera's, an infrared light for nightsight + a tiny microphone in his bed.

Attachments

• Beeldscherm woonkamer bedzicht.JPG
    Beeldscherm woonkamer bedzicht.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Camera 1 bed groot.JPG
    Camera 1 bed groot.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Camera huiskamer.JPG
    Camera huiskamer.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Nachtzicht 2.JPG
    Nachtzicht 2.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3
  • mocrofoontje groot.JPG
    mocrofoontje groot.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 2
OMG why would your neighbour want to watch your son? Sounds like your neighbour is a bit wierd to me!!

No he isn't weird, he was warning us. He catched up our son by accident on his pc-screen and came to tell us this can happen with wireless systems, not only on his pc, other neighbours could possibly catch up our signals too.

I am glad I found this thread. My son was diagnosed this past week, he is seven and has 5 Grand Mal and one partial seizure, that we are aware of. His seizures have only happened at night so we are assuming it has to do with REM sleep. We have him sleeping with us now, but I was wondering what others do, he is scared and we are scared. Two nights ago we had to give him the emergency meds after he had 3 seizures in a 90 min period, I hate to think if we were not there.

Back
Top Bottom