Smoking....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
How does this affect seizures? My neurologist told me to cut down slowly. No cold turkey or I could have an episode. Laurie

I just did a brief search of smoking and seizures and it seems to be a bit mixed on whether or not it is a trigger. I personally am not a fan of it, as I grew up with it all around me and I disliked it. Both parents stopped cold turkey due to major medical issues so I have no idea as to whether or not it triggers seizures.

I would suspect that purhaps it might be more the mental and emotional connection you have with the substance that could trigger a seizure. Seems that there might be a positive way around this. Such as treating yourself when the urge is overwhelming.

Thinking this through though, you would not want to have a seizure while smoking for fear of it starting a fire.

Thanks Robin - I'll also do a search. True about a fire hazzard. Apart from seizure related and fires! I'd like to give up this discusting habit for general health! Thanks. Laurie

Ive quit twice, the first time for eight years. This time for eleven years. Both times I quit cold turkey. It didnt affect my seizures . Everyone is different. Smoking is bad!!!!

I never believed anyone who said I quit twice.

You can quit once. That is all.
The others are just gaps... holidays.

And the only real way to quit is cold turkey.

-and yeah it will weaken ur threshold because nicotine calms you down right? well, once ur off u are even more bouncy.

i recon that eating high potassium and magnesium foods would help. let's say dates, banana and avocado.

god i feel like eating avocado right now........... lemon ..... pepper.......... toast...... *drool**

Last edited:
Smoking is bad, of course, but my doctor said that it would not increase my seizures.
It is a strong drug to leave, I gave it up before getting pregnant, I did not smoke for 10 years.
But one day, I felt very nervous, I saw my husband cigarretes and....:dontknow:

Its like trying to get over epilepsy so we can die from lung cancer, whats the point. Smoking is just sensless and it stinks bad! It even kills the people around you.

Reply to all of you re: smoking

Thanks for your input. My neurologist told me to reduce 1 cigarette each day. Yes. Cold Turkey would affect my nervous system...Each day it gets easier and I'm finding that I'm becoming less nervous. Ultimately, smoking reves up your nerves. One hit then 20 minutes later you're "anxious" for another. I'm actually looking forward to be "smoke free". Saying I "quit smoking" implies to me that I'm missing something.:agree:
Always - Laurie

Hello! I smoked before and my neurologist told me to quit because it is not only bad for you,but it deprives oxygen from the brain. He said the more oxygen that is deprived from the brain the more of chance it could trigger a seizure.

I never lie! I have no reason to lie about anything! The truth will set you free!

I smoke and it doesn't trigger my seizures. If anything, I would have to say it helps with my stress. I know, I know it is bad for you....but so are a lot of other things and it's my only bad habit.
The one thing about smoking that concerns me is when I first started having seizures, I would light up during a partial complex.

I dont want to pass judgment on anyone. I hate smoking because over the past 30+ years most of my loved ones or friends have died from this habit.

I smoke and it doesn't trigger my seizures. If anything, I would have to say it helps with my stress. I know, I know it is bad for you....but so are a lot of other things and it's my only bad habit.
The one thing about smoking that concerns me is when I first started having seizures, I would light up during a partial complex.

Same here.

I lit my couch on fire one time, was REALLY lucky some one was home. Now I smoke out side (even in the winter brrr) Its better for the whole house and I smoke less. Still not ready to give it up totally.

I smoked when I was younger but now I want to live as many years as I can seizure free. Peace to you!

I want to stop smoking in the worst way but quitting cold turkey isn't working for me :( I last a week or two then I blow it...usually after i have a seizure :paperbag: I'm goeing to ask my neuro next week if I can use the patches or something to assist me. My PCP wanted to put me on chantix (spelling?) but didn't think it would be a good idea with my meds.

Nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant to the central nervous system. The nicotine in cigarettes acts on receptors for the excitatory neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the brain, which increases neuronal firing.

But if you want to STOP smoking, here’s a piece of scary information: some nicotine preparations used to help people stop smoking can have a side effect of convulsions. So, if you’re thinking of quitting, check out your smoking cessation program with your doc first.

Back
Top Bottom