Solar Storms & Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Porkette

Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just this past week there have been a lot of solar storms in my area and I've had seizures just about every day.
I know I'm cell phone sensitive but I'm wondering if the solar storms could be triggering my seizures. It's been a long
time since I've had seizures 4 days in a row like I have this past week and sometimes I will have 2-3 seizures a day.
Have any of you heard of anything like this? Thanks for your time and I appreciate it. I wish you the best of luck
and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi,

I think if there were solar storms in your area they'd affect the whole planet so perhaps you might find someone else here from outside your area too that has had this issue.

I have personally never heard of it, but could it perhaps be anxiety driving your seizure threshold down? I know for a fact that anxiety for me doesn't cause seizures but it makes them more likely, if extreme enough.

H Sue --

I agree with HumbleDeer -- Solar storms are unlikely to be seizure triggers. Maybe there's something more localized playing a role for you, like changes in barometric pressure or the current heat wave?

I hope you feel better, and that you get a break from the seizures.

Hi Folks,

According to both my neurosurgeon and Epileptologist some times a solar storm can effect some people because
of the electromagnetic field it produces. Thanks for you time and help. May God Bless You!

Sue

Interesting! There's a thread on the topic in the CWE archives:

If I recall properly, people have tested this before and the magnetic fields by solar storms are strong but not strong enough. However.. there's lots of other things a solar storm can bring that can affect you.

For people with RA for example, the air humidity can hurt their joints.
For people with visual disturbances, the magnetic interference can change how colours look very subtly; throw people off.
And as such it can for many other people with many other effects too.

I'm honestly eager to know what the result of this discussion will be. I learn every day. :)

Hi Nakamova,

Thank you so very much for sharing the site with me on the electromagnetic field that was posted a few yrs. ago I found it
very educational and it has answered a few questions for me also. It's strange how some people are effected by this while
other are not. I'm glad that not many people are effected by the electromagnetic field.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi HumbleDeer,

I have a friend who lives in Alaska and ever since she's moved there she has been getting wicked complex migraine
headaches that will sometimes last for days. According to her neuro this is happening because she lives up in a higher
elevation along with seeing a lot of northern lights. I also live on a hill that's pretty high up and maybe this is another
reason why I had so many seizures this past week. Thanks for all of your help and support. I wish you only the best
and May God Bless You!

Sue

Dear Sue, don't know about solar activity, but am practically sure i feel much worse when the weather changes. A day before high temp goes down or vice versa i can predict it. I also know that i never had problems when skiing, but it was rather hills, not mountains, because i prefer сross-country skis. But a few years ago we went on a holiday in the real mountains and i found that even 1000m attitude was too much for me. It was difficult to breathe, to move and to live there !!! As far as i know there is no remedy for people who react to any changes in weather whatever it is.
So just try to take care on such days and relax,
Alice

Somewhat different, but the same. My one hypothesis/wonder has been the moon. With it taking "about" 28 days to go through it's cycle between "new" and "full". I did a search on this site and have seen that other people have had the same hypothesis. Seems like it's once a month as to when my seizures hit and then I have between 2-4 (and that's what I can recall). My parents usually catch me having at least one of them and I also feel it when I have an aura and feel "blah" for lack of a better word. Granted I do have other things that are contributors. Seems like anytime I get hot/winded is when they catch up with me. Stress in general (physical and mental) is one of the main things that seem to trigger mine.

Back in 2018 when the midterm elections were happening and it was the primary season, I was in charge of confirming people's IDs and addresses etc. My friend that got me the job (who knew of my condition) said I had five incidents and I didn't even remember four of them (absence ones, maybe a complex). However, he wrote down every incident and the time. He said they took me back for a break since I wasn't "all there" (not responding etc). I take a dose of lamictal at noon. Ever since then my friend makes sure I take it and have my meds (which I do and did; but he quadruple checks lol). He's a very good friend.

Hi Folks,

A low pressure always triggers seizures for me but what's worse is when fall and winter come then I start having "Seasonal
Seizures" which means more seizures in the fall and winter do to the lack of serotonin at that time of yr. I have found sitting
around bright light helps a little.

I go on the NOAA weather page and just last week the solar storms were terrible in my area and this in turn triggered
an extra electromagnetic field and I ended up having a total of 5 or 6 seizures in one week and that's the worst I've seen
it in a long time.

Army Vet,
I'm glad to hear that your friend was there to help you out and I'm sorry to hear that you are in the same situation as me.
If you check out the NOAA weather page in your area they will have a solar report/storm for you to read and it will tell yo
how things are going in your area. If you notice there's more activity and then more seizures it could be the solar storms
and you may want to mention something to your neuro.

Wishing All of You only The Best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Back
Top Bottom