somebody else diagnosed with epilepsy and still driving

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
I get attacked, and I am expected to stay home or not ask for help. Now, my father's girlfriend's son just was just diagnosed with primary generalized epilepsy which he inherited from his grandmother (Not related to me at all). He just had 3 seizures in a day and a few other the other day. The doctor told him to stop driving. Especially, her insurance, he was on it for a while, before all of this he averaged about 3 wrecks a year since he was fooling around on the road like racing, drifting, w/e

Guess what? He's still driving. He hasn't gone a few days without a seizure and he's still driving. I asked her, 'well he has to work' ... OK. I said, what if he crashes and kills a person, a family, or himself? She didn't really pay attention to anything I said. How is it ok for this? He was just driving today as well.

For goodness sake what's wrong with his mother? If he kills someone he could go to prison for a long time as well as taking away another persons life. He can still get to work by using public transport and yeah it may suck but not half as much as it will if he causes an accident.

My long time GP hit an killed an elderly woman who was crossing the road recklessly, a dual carriageway, and ordinarily it would not have been seen as an offence on his part BUT his eyesight wasn't too good and he'd previously been advised not to drive so he got a prison sentence.

I don't know where her common sense is, or his really, because if he's old enough to drive he's old enough to understand the implications of what he's doing.

Hi notime,

The mom better wake up and realize he could not only kill someone else he could end up dead himself. On top of that this could lead to a big lawsuit for him and if the insurance is in his moms name she is going to get hurt really bad. If I knew this person I would report them so the person would be off the road. I would rather have others safe and sound instead of possibly endangering other peoples lives. Here's wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Yeah, it makes life extra challenging not being able to drive, but it is not worth the risk. Some people are very stupid and they often pay the price for their stupidity and unfortunately there are innocent bystanders. This woman and her son need to accept reality.

Where's their common sense?? I was taking driver's ed in high school, & had a simple partial right before my final behind the wheel practice. (I only had those at that time.) I decided right then & there that I never wanted to take the chance of one occurring if I was driving. I never got my license, & now that I get complex partials too, I'm glad I don't drive.

only drive when i have gone a year (law/policy is 6 months) but i go 5-8 months all the time and than boom, have another simple partial with secondary generalization. (close to a tonic/clonic)

Ive wrecked one car, i was a block from home and hit a tree.......But i had a DL at this time.

So my doc makes me go a year instead of 6 months, i could go see someone else who would only enforce the law (6months) but i am glad they make me go a year.

If he is having this many.....he is a fing idiot. Ill admit, ive ran out to the store which is .8 miles away twice in my time without a DL. But i also have had 85% of my seizures during 330-530pm.

And when i ran out the two times i did.....It was 9/10pm, so out of my zone.

What he is doing is asking for death or life in jail & so is his mother which will catch quite a bit of the blame.

Someone needs to take his keys. To also hear he has wrecked so many cars before this is disgusting. Ive never been in an accident in my life aside the tree and when i was rear ended twice.

Knab those keys asap.

I don't know where her common sense is, or his really, because if he's old enough to drive he's old enough to understand the implications of what he's doing.
That's not the point. He doesn't understand the implications. Age doesn't make you mature.

What needs to happen is his diagnosis be reported to the DMV and his license be suspended. Given his history of reckless driving and other things, I doubt this will happen if it hasn't already.

Last edited:
Where I live, unless the DMV knows about your epilepsy, you're free to drive. If they do, you have to be seizure free for 6 months to get/keep license.

That's not the point. He doesn't understand the implications. Age doesn't make you mature.

What needs to happen is his diagnosis be reported to the DMV and his license be suspended. Given his history of reckless driving and other things, I doubt this will happen if it hasn't already.

My Neruo contacts the DMV and cancels it.

These Two Will Lie As Long As They Can Get AwayWith It

It sounds like these two would lie their tails off if they were ever confronted about his driving! Someone needs to contact either his doctor or DMV and tell them that he is still driving. The doctor is responsible for telling DMV that a person can't be driving because of a condition!
Another thing that could be done is to contact the police and have them go to his workplace and check for his car. If it is there they will ask him how it got there and if he says he drove, they will have him for driving after having DL suspended! This is illegal and could result in him not being able to get his DL back IF he has gone the required amount of time w/o a seizure!
If his insurance company found out about what he is doing, they would cancel his insurance immediately!

acshuman :twocents:

Seen People Do This Before!

When the website for the EFA9Epilepsy Foundation of America) was up and running we had a woman who thought she was smarter than everybody else when she lied to her doctor and bragged about how she told him what he had to write on her medical report. She disappeared from the site and shut up in a hurry when she got caught after having an accident when she had a seizure! Her lies didn't hold water with the police. I don't know what happened to her, but she sure shut-up about how she was so smart!

Back
Top Bottom