Sorry I've Been Away

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jbo57

New
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted here and I apologize for the absence. Also, if this is in the wrong spot, please feel free to move it to where it should be. The last few times I posted I was A MESS! And that is putting it lightly. Let me bring you all up to date.

Since it's been so long, let me start from the beginning. I had a sleep seizure on July 6th. Should not have been a big deal since I've had them since 1977, but this time everything was different. From the next day I began to have overwhelming anxiety/terror. It just didn't go away. Everyday seemed to get worse.

I went to one E.R. following a panic attack in the middle of the night when my left arm went numb. Everything checked out OK and they gave me some sleeping pills and sent me home. The sleeping pills that should have knocked me out for 8 hours only lasted about 3 and then the anxiety would start all over again. This went on for at least another week and I kept hoping that things would get back to normal...they didn't.

I had another melt down and my G.P. told my wife to take me to another E.R. because this one has a neurologist on call. Let me see if I can put this politely. The nurses and techs were outstanding. The E.R. doctor had the personality of an unpainted wall. She basically accused me of faking...gave me some more pills...and sent me home. The next day I had a complete melt down and my family did the right thing. They took me to a hospital that specializes in these sorts of things...and I THANK GOD that they did.

The first night was really, really bad. I could go into all the reasons why, but there really isn't any need. I was there for three days and I am getting my life back. While there, the staff and doctor really hit on something. My doctor told me and I'm going to try to quote: "You see this computer? Everything in it is organically the way it's supposed to be. The CPU is working; the memory is working; the screen is working...but it's got a virus and so between the CPU and the screen there is nothing but gibberish...that is your brain right now. Everything is organically fine...but there's a glitch." He asked me what I wanted and I said, "I want my life back" and he smiled and said, "Oh, you'll get your life back. It may not be today...it might not be tomorrow...this month or even six months from now...but you're getting your life back because I think I know what happened and I think I know how we're going to fix it."

I could have kissed him...I didn't...but I could have. ;) He said, "We don't know why this last seizure was different, but it was. The two sides of your brain aren't communicating the way they should and because of that, it won't shut down and let you sleep. What we've got to do is get you to relax and get you some sleep. So, tonight I'm going to guarentee you 8-10 hours of sleep." (I only got 6...but I ain't complaining!) To make a long story shorter, his concept is that the brain doesn't "reset" (my words, not his) if you don't sleep. Because of that it just keeps going and going and going. This leads to anxiety, nerves and terror. He put me on a daytime med and a night time med and I've been sleeping from 8-9 hours a night and the difference between now and then is the difference between night and day. Once I get my sleep rythem back, they will start weaning me off the anxiety meds.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know why I hadn't been around. I appreciate all the good thoughts that have come my way and I wanted you to know that in spite of it all...I AM A BLESSED MAN.

Wow! Well, welcome back! You've been thru HELL! I'm so glad you have such an understanding doctor and he's helping you. Isn't it amazing what lack of sleep does to the body and brain? I had a doctor tell me something that was inspiration too. "You didn't get like this overnight so don't expect to get well overnight either. It takes time! " (((hugs)))

... He put me on a daytime med and a night time med and I've been sleeping from 8-9 hours a night and the difference between now and then is the difference between night and day. ...

:woot:

Love to hear those success stories!

Thanks guys. I have great mornings...so so afternoons and so so evenings...but so so is AWESOME compared to where it was. Yes, sleep is one of those things we take for granted until we can't dose off. Thanks for the good wishes!

Well, isn't it

just too cool when you find a doc that actually CARES, and on top of it, knows what they're doing?

Hot dog for you! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Glad to see you back!

Back
Top Bottom