ssi

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm not sure how other states are, but anyone who lives in Maryland may know about this. I go to school full time, and I have a job where I hardly get paid jack because of my lack of hours. I just now found out today I got approved for SSI, we can get our health insurance paid for, plus we can get our rent paid for. It's a wonderful thing that the government helps out the people that actually need it. You see it all the time, where people who are perfectly healthy and are on welfare and never have to work, and just keep popping out babies. Anyone else on SSI?

my company put me on temporary disability for the past 3 yrs and probably forever since my doc wont let me do factory work.they still give me my health insurance and cut my pay in half.My house is in foreclosure,I have to file bankruptcy for my bills and I guess I will raise my 3 kids and myself on 1500.00 per month forever since they dont allow you to do any form of paid work in or out of your home while receiving this.I dont qualify for ANY govt assistance including foodstamps because I have child support orders.Doesnt matter if I dont receive what those orders claim.You were a lucky one in my opinion,govt assistance seems impossible to attain unless you were born and raised in the system.Tried playing the game and its too much effort-I would rather eat beans and go sockless than to take that frozen pizza out of some childs mouth

and you deserve any assistance you can get. just as much as anyone in this country. especially those who abuse the system, which is 75 percent of the people who get things for free.

I have ORDERS for 2600.00 but I proved to them from their own website that i only actually receivein hand to spend anywhere from 114-300 for 3 kids because he was laid off and they could only take so much out of his check and they were sharing what I got with alimony to his exwife but it is not based on what I receive-it is based on the ORDER AMOUNT--she showed me in black and white-so I fall way over the guidelines.Thats ok though-Im just glad someone disabled from this website got it,Im tired of all the entitlements being passed down from generation like its a birthright

and you deserve any assistance you can get. just as much as anyone in this country. especially those who abuse the system, which is 75 percent of the people who get things for free.

There was a story in the paper a month or so ago about a guy that just won...what was it....like 2 or 3 million in the lottery, but he refuses to give up his food stamps! He says he's entitled to use the rest of his benifits and because of some twist in the law that doesn't count lottery winnings as income (or something to that effect) he can keep getting them every year! "If you're trying to make me feel bad, you're not going to be able to do it." he was quoted as saying. Frankly I'd like to say exactly what I think of his attitude, but I don't know if there are any ladies or children reading this!

And I hope some elected official got off their butt to examine and change that law--but somehow I doubt it--those senators and congressmen too worried about maintaining their OWN freebie bennies at taxpayer expense

And I hope some elected official got off their butt to examine and change that law--but somehow I doubt it--those senators and congressmen too worried about maintaining their OWN freebie bennies at taxpayer expense

*shaking head* Everytime I read or hear someone say something like that, my response is THEY work for US -not the other way around. We hire them in November, we can take their job away next time if they don't do what we want. Problem is, in retrospect, so many people think the way you are here, and don't write or call their elected officials and tell them what we want done, ultimately, who's fault is it that Congress just does what it wants? By the time I was 25 I had 2 Bills passed at State level just by telling them what I'd like to see done. I also got something done at local level just by telling my Alderman at the time how I felt. In fact, I'm presently "lobbying" our town board trying to get them to reinstate our Constable (basically non-sworn law enforcement officer) position THEY decided we "didn't need". I'm in the middle of having 1 of our board members help me look into State law figuring out the proper steps for a referendum on the next ballot. If we can get at least 191 votes (15% of the total # of voters in the last governor election -but don't ask me where the State came up with those figures) they'll have NO choice but to either pass it themselves at the next meeting, or be required to submit it for referendum next November! All I can say is GO FOR IT! :)

Last edited:
I'm in Texas and get SSI. I have Medicare and Medicaid, and an awesome ins. plan that covers all of my RX's.
I don't think I could hold down a job if I tried.
I agree, I just can't understand that whole 'being on welfare but keep popping out babies' thing.

Currently, I'm living with my parents, (I can't seem to find the smiley that's banging his head against a wall) and they're giving me a break on rent. I've never heard about SSI paying my rent. That'd be great! I might actually be able to get a place of my own! I may need to look into that some more.

Uhhhh...SSI paying rent?? Where's this? :) As I understand there is nothing like that -at least not Federal. There's section 8 housing (rent assistance based on income) -check with your County officials. The last time I checked, in Wis. at least, it's 5 years on waiting list.

I didn't qualify for SSI but do get SSDI I get 1800.00 combined for me and ,y 3 kids. Had to pay for Medicare part B and scripts of about 200 a month until my husband got a full time job with benefits.

I get SSDI and it helps me see my doctors and pay for my prescriptions. It's just making less than 700.00 last for a month when I have other bills to pay.

I know a person can get more if they're found to be disabled before....I think it's 23 years old because you can collect off your parents' S.S. (which doesn't affect their benifits) I don't get THAT one at all. *shakes head* But someone recently told me that if you're judged to be totally disabled, you can get more. I never heard that either. Anyone ever hear of that? Does what you get depend on if you can work some, or not at all?

Back
Top Bottom