Starting a new journey

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae,

When I hear how deeply Canada needs good doctors, I'm even more happy you are going to be one. You will be excellent!

aw thanks guys! i'll let you all know how it goes each step of the way. And how could I ever forget you guys, meetz? you guys are the reason i want to do this. I hear what each one of you have to go through and it irks me that your neurologist doesnt listen. Dr. Arvind is a HUGE inspiration, even though he is kilometers and kilometers away. THis is my home, and it wont ever stop being that way. Every chance I get I'm on here. either reading or posting. You guys are family ((hugs))

Best of luck to you Rae, since you know what it's like for us people with Epilepsy you will be a great doctor.

awesome

I've thought of doing that, but I'm best at English and Art, not science. You should try for becoming a neurobiologist and do research. My cousin is a scientist who researches. Right now she's working on nanotechnology. If you're a neurologist you'll basically be a drug dealer. I have nothing against drug dealers. Or the mob, unless you skim from them, that's what my grandma says.

Anyway, you try for straight neurobiology, just learning everything you can about the brain, and that would be awesome. Do me a favor and find out if a faulty endocannabinoid system is really the cause of seizures, because that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah.. epilepsy could be caused by some sort of genetic defect, that makes your endocannabinoids, which are supposed to be regulating your neurons, not do it as well. Hmmm... thinking... we do produce them... not enough? A chemical can't do something not well. But you get more drunk from tequila than from beer. So, it's not that our neurons are too excitable, it's that the retrograde messengers that are supposed to keep them in check, well, aren't. Not enough. Not enough brain-weed. Can a chemical not do its job well? It could be a combination.

If I were going to learn about the brain, I'd search for the cause. There's no treatment without a cause. I consider medications about as humane as leeching, but it's okay, because we don't know any better.

People need better equipment than we have right now, and they need to stop focusing so much on behavior, and just concentrate on chemistry. Why aren't the chemicals doing their job? Which chemicals?

Believe me, the science of the brain is about as vague as theoretical physics.

People know so little about the brain, in science terms, studying it is like being a cowboy in the old west. It's a new frontier.

Last edited:
Rae,

If you become a neurologist (M.D.) specializing in integrative medicine, I'll cross the border to be treated by you! I can't find an MD down here who knows even a little bit about supplements and other non-drug treatments. Someone who does would be worth their weight in gold.

That is so excellent. If you set your mind to it, you can succeed. I think that sounds like a good job for someone with epilepsy.

I'll keep that in mind Droolmonster and i'll get back to you. But I do want to help patients.

I dont want to shove drug Rxs to them when I can go through the paces of finding causes that arent typically accepted by the med comunity or ones that arent first thought of. I want to help the patients use alternatives to control their seizures. God knows meds dont work well for me.

And yes endless, I'd be happy to take you as a patient. Anyone on here for that matter. I want patient driven care!

I think you'll be an awesome, kind, empathetic and vigilant doctor. Just the kind we need.

Rae- You'll be a great doctor! Actually understanding what your patients are going through will be so valuable :)

WOW Rae, what a huge leap to make but I couldn't think of anyone better to make it :) Your kindness and empathy know no bounds and your determination will ensure your success...AWESOME!!!

Cool Rae! If you get into the Victoria General Hospital, I'll be standing at your door waiting!!! All over the world, we need New Neurologists with New Ideas.

Just 4 You

:clap: You go, girl!

Let me know when you get your degree--I'll be moving to Canada!

Back
Top Bottom