Starting to eat more healthy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
Over the past few months a few thoughts have been coming to mind and during that time it was decided to begin taking better care of my own health with a few changes in the diet. A few changes have already been made just by drinking more water throughout the day while at work and at home. Since it is fresh cold water there has been a choice to add flavoring to it using something called Mio mango or the orange flavoring as the bottles will last for approximately a month. Since the price is reasonable for Mio my cabinet is stocked up with two of each so there is no chance of running out any time.

Another item that has entered into the diet is Planters Deluxe mixed nuts. It was chosen to get the lightly salted as my body does not have any issue with sodium but there is an option to obtain unsalted if preferred. This option was chosen to have rather than potato chips to lower grease content that is taken in. There has been much information read how different types of nuts are good for your body and low in calorie intake so it was chosen to try this for a change as a daily snack plus have as a healthier snack. The Planters deluxe mixed nut snack has almonds, pecans, hazel nuts, pistachios, peanuts, and cashews. This is quite the nice mixture to snack upon as it is something filling and it does not take a lot to make that happen. As someone who works from home as a technician this was a great choice and it will be something to purchase again for certain.

Another snack choice that has been chosen is the Chex bold mix as it is very nicely created. As someone who was never into eating Chex as a cereal after this item was first introduced the product became something that was very liked. Because it is low in calories plus there is a good taste to every item this is well worth having around the home as another snack to go to when wanting something. What makes Chex bold mix so good is the mix; it has Chex pieces, mini bread sticks, pretzels, crackers, and rye chips all with a great spice. This is a fantastic product that is better than having potato chips because the calories are lower and there is no grease, ever!

All of the above items are now on the daily diet because they are healthy not because there is a goal to loose weight. I am more concerned with doing the best I can to control intake of calories during the day and each day. If there is a loss of pounds in doing this new eating management I will be more than happy I have chosen to do this idea for health management.

Let us know how it goes and how you feel I am trying to cut down on processed foods, so the water and the nuts would be okay, but I would probably have to steer clear of the Chex Mix if I were being strict. (Which I'm not). :)

Let us know how it goes and how you feel I am trying to cut down on processed foods, so the water and the nuts would be okay, but I would probably have to steer clear of the Chex Mix if I were being strict. (Which I'm not). :)

I don't eat a lot of it, this is something that I've been doing a lot of during work breaks. I figure its better than going after what is in the candy machines you know? I've been drinking a lot of water throughout the day so that does put an ease on everything as I have been staying fuller on a daily basis and I am eating less over all. Oh before I forget, I did do a look up on how cashews and almonds can be of benefit and just having them added onto your diet the roasted almonds and roasted cashews are filled with vitamins that we all need throughout the day to help us focus and function.

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefits-roasted-salted-almonds-6389.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/249389-roasted-cashews-nutrition-facts/

By the way I did a quick look at the Chex mix Savory blend I am eating and it is only 120 calories a serving so that is pretty good I think as it is something that is much more healthy than the other choices. :pop:

What's the sodium in the savory blend?

I'm not watching what I'm eating, but there is a Cheese It mix I've recently discovered. Probably a lot likeyour mix, but adds m&ms, Carmel corn and a few other sweet things. It's delicious but far from healthy I'm sure. :p

I changed my diet 3 years ago but my reason was due to my health. I was overweight and the drs were worried about my cholesterol so wanted me to lose the weight. So in 2016 I saw a dietician, list 30kg in 12 months. I did have to go on a very low dose of cholesterol meds in 2017 my cholesterol levels have been really good on the last 2 years.

Before I changed my diet my main weakness was sugar, mainly chocolate but now I don’t eat much chocolate. I do eat a lot of nuts (unsalted because I don’t like salt), I try to limit as much fat on food as I can .

I actually find in my current job I only really eat lunch because I’m so busy working that time gos by but if I do get hungry I have a lite snack in my back pack.

I read labels on food, well at less try and for a while kept food diaries which friends thought I was crazy.

Along with the walking i do I have managed to keep of the weight. So in 3 years I’ve only put on about 3 kg.
I still have the odd bad thing but not too often as I don’t enjoy it.

What's the sodium in the savory blend?

I'm not watching what I'm eating, but there is a Cheese It mix I've recently discovered. Probably a lot likeyour mix, but adds m&ms, Carmel corn and a few other sweet things. It's delicious but far from healthy I'm sure. :p

The difference between the two, this particular blend that I have uses the mixture of chex with mini sticks, pretzels, and dried rye bread. It is the flavoring that is really the bold kick as it is a mix of worchestershire sauce, garlic, yellow onion, and sweet onion.

I have noticed when first trying the taste is nicely created and well mixed. This is one of the reasons I keep going back to it because I am impressed with it. That is my opinion. :twocents:

I take 400mg/day of both Topamax and Zonisamide. Because of that, I always drink lots of water--about half a gallon--daily. I like to make my own nut mix using unsalted nuts. I get large bags from Sam's Club, store them in the freezer, & take out enough of each type of nut to mix together & fill it in a large jar. Pistachios are the only salted ones I add, since it's very hard to find them unsalted.

Back
Top Bottom