Still trying to work my way onto Vimpat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Teresa

There is one thing about sleeping. Unlike most anti-seizure meds. sleepiness is not a very big side effect. that might be why your having trouble. I'm actually really glad aboutr it. not only do I feel more on target but the people I'm closest to have noticed too. I just hope the depakote doesn't mess that up for me.

I can totally relate, Ryan has become a lot more alert and aware of everything going on around him since starting Vimpat, which is amazing because he was previously on Topamax which one of the doctors at the hospital now calls Dopamax after what it did to Ryan. It made him very slow & forgetful & just not himself at all. It's been a rough road. The Vimpat doesn't appear to be doing that, I'm hoping this is gonna work for everyone who's trying it out. No one should have to live with a fear of seizing at any moment or just flat out live with uncontrolled seizures.

I hope you have success with this new drug after the switch has been completed. I am on Depakote ER 1000 mg. The few couple weeks were tough as it really upset my stomach. I'm past that now but it did mess my liver enzymes up. Went for another blood test yesterday so we'll see if it's straightened out.

I have infrequent complex partial seizures and have gone as long as 4 years or more between seizures even before getting on meds. I was only placed on medication a year ago at the age of 53.

Does anyone know if this medication is being looked at as a monotherapy? I am working on some alternative therapies but don't feel comfortable quitting the Depakote yet even though I haven't had a single seizure since starting it last year. I am only 4 years from retirement and have to drive a lot for my job so would like to hang in there until then if I can.

I would sure rather take something milder than Depakote.

Have a super day!

Roxie

I start an extra 25mg of dilantin tomorrow am ... right now and for a long time i have only taken it in the pm. We keep moving.

Yesterday sucked. I felt like i had seizure almost all night long friday night finally decided i couldn't take it anymore and used Diastat at 5:20am.when i woke up I was in an edgy mood. (don't know if it was the new meds or the lack of sleep). Then last night i started having simple partials where I can't talk which I realized when I was on the phone with my mom. I knew I didn't feel right I just didn't know what was happening exactly until I was talking. luckily mu hubby when this happens has gotten fairly good at finishing my sentances and I can still put words onto paper.My hubby said i was slurring my words some last night too. I really hope today is better!

sunday and today went better and i only had a total of 3 seizures last night. I have been kind of anxious though. I change meds again tomorrow. I have to know about my short term disability extention by the end of tomorrow or wednesday it will be back to work. I'll keep things updated.:e:

still working on getting the disability approved but know that my hubby and I will make it if it doesn't. still working my wat onto depakote and the rest of the way off of trileptal.

Back
Top Bottom