Strange Dreams?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

XxBlaqkxX

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone else have dreams/nightmares at time with your body possibly trying to tell you that you're having a seizure or that you know you're having a seizure in your sleep? It feels terrible -_-

I was thinking about this topic earlier and how in the past I remember having nightmares that I would control, but my thinking process wasn't making sense so I was choosing things to happen that I normally wouldn't. For example, in one of my dreams a baby was crawling around the house and I didn't see an adult and I was saying, "The baby crawled around the house for a while," and I saw it happen. Later on, I said, "The baby found a medication bottle and it opened and spilled." and that is what happened next. At the end of that dream I said, "And baby eats the medication that spilled on the floor," and then part of my mind was saying," No! No! That's horrible! The baby is going to get hurt! Please, don't!" and then I thought, "And now the baby has to go to the hospital..." and then it happened. My dream was taking the opposite path than what I would have wanted and it was kind of like the weird, off type thinking I have when I have seizures. This one was a long time ago before I ever had kids or got married. It was so bizarre!

Another time I had a dream that I was in this beautiful, cute garden. My husband was there and we were spending time with the kids and my parents. The kids were having a blast running around this gorgeous garden that was totally inside an old, gray brick wall. I started feeling super dizzy in the chair I was sitting in and I started covering my ears because the children playing felt so noisy all of a sudden. I opened my eyes a bit and saw some lawn chairs where I could lay down. We also had our stuff over there so I headed that way, got in our stuff, and was pulling out a bunch of medication bottles, trying to figure out where the one I needed was because I hadn't taken my pill yet (I actually hadn't that morning because I was sleeping in). I finally found the medication I needed and my 3 year old ran off with the bottle. I didn't have the energy to chase them and started getting super shaky so I felt the next best thing to do was lay in this chair. I ended up curling up on the reclining lawn chair face down.

Then, my dream changed over to something else. I was walking into someone's house with my husband. I guess we were meeting up with friends because there were a few familiar faces, but at a house I've never been. The kids were with grandma and grandpa and I got super thirsty. I asked, "Mind if I ask where the cups are?" The host said, "Yeah, sure!" and he told me where they were at, but by the time I took a few steps across the room to the cupboards, I was greatly confused. I already had forgotten where the cups were and I took a few guesses, but didn't find the cups. I knew I wasn't thinking right, but didn't want it to be obvious. I turned around and walked back to the host and asked, "Mind if I ask again where the cups are?" Then, the host got up and led the way to the kitchen. He said, "Fourth cupboard from the left. See here. One, two, three, four. This one," and he shook his head and chuckled before turning around and getting back to his conversation in the other room. I said, "Oh, okay! Thank you!" Then, I forgot again for a moment, but then remembered, "Right. One, two, three, four. Here." That's the only way I could remember because the ridiculous way he counted the cupboards as if he were mocking me. When I woke up from both of those dreams, I knew I had to get to my medicine, and I felt so shaky and got an electrolyte drink with it. I felt a whole lot better in about an hour so I figure I probably did have a seizure in my sleep.

Does this type of craziness happen to anyone else? I'm curious.

Does anyone else have dreams/nightmares at time with your body possibly trying to tell you that you're having a seizure or that you know you're having a seizure in your sleep? It feels terrible -_-

I do have vivid dreams. They're cause by many things like conversations with people, things I've seen on tv, movies, news reports, even random commercials. It's usually when the tv is on when I'm sleeping, that does the weirdest dreams. They often play out like a mini movie(s).
IE: One time I dreamt I was in a shootout with police after a bank robbery. Another I was trapped in locked building searching for a way out.
Both dreams coincided with news events or movies that were broadcasted while I was sleeping.

As for having seizures in my sleep, I did while I was on AED Lyrica about 9/10 years ago. These vivid dreams were scary. It takes a lot to scare me. They start so mundane, I'd be in my living room watching tv / talking with my family. Nothing weird about that. Then my family would all act surprised/shocked as they were looking at me. They'd start crying, I'd be asking what's wrong?? They'd say stuff you face, it's gone. I be asking what they were talking about as I felt it. One side of face was drooping down, like it was melting away. I get to a mirror and see it as my teeth started to fall out. This would cause me to start shaking. I would be shaking in my sleep, then wake up shaking/convulsing. It would take me a few hours to settle down enough to get back to sleep. I had my neurologist at the time to get me off Lyrica asap. I haven't experienced those dreams again.

Since I had my RTLS 7+ years ago I've been "seizure free". At least in terms of CPS. But I still have daily headaches, many worst than others. Those may be what's left of my activity. But I can still be having some at night. They're just not waking me up shaking/convulsing.

When I first started on Lamotrigine, I had some pretty wild nightmares. But that was a side effect that went away after a month or two.
I don't think I've dreamed of having a seizure while or after having an actual nighttime seizure.

I do occasionally dream that I’m having or have had a seizure, but it's more in the category of a basic anxiety dream.

When I had my surgery a few yrs. back I asked my neurosurgeon what made a person dream and he
told me it was what a person was thinking about in their sub conscious, but they didn't even realize they
were thinking about it. He also told me it could relate to something that happened that day or evening
along with something saw on tv.
Now when I have any dreams I think back about the day before and see if there is any relation to the dream
and anything that happened and sometimes there is. It's interesting how the mind work.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

I do have vivid dreams. They're cause by many things like conversations with people, things I've seen on tv, movies, news reports, even random commercials. It's usually when the tv is on when I'm sleeping, that does the weirdest dreams. They often play out like a mini movie(s).
IE: One time I dreamt I was in a shootout with police after a bank robbery. Another I was trapped in locked building searching for a way out.
Both dreams coincided with news events or movies that were broadcasted while I was sleeping.

As for having seizures in my sleep, I did while I was on AED Lyrica about 9/10 years ago. These vivid dreams were scary. It takes a lot to scare me. They start so mundane, I'd be in my living room watching tv / talking with my family. Nothing weird about that. Then my family would all act surprised/shocked as they were looking at me. They'd start crying, I'd be asking what's wrong?? They'd say stuff you face, it's gone. I be asking what they were talking about as I felt it. One side of face was drooping down, like it was melting away. I get to a mirror and see it as my teeth started to fall out. This would cause me to start shaking. I would be shaking in my sleep, then wake up shaking/convulsing. It would take me a few hours to settle down enough to get back to sleep. I had my neurologist at the time to get me off Lyrica asap. I haven't experienced those dreams again.

Since I had my RTLS 7+ years ago I've been "seizure free". At least in terms of CPS. But I still have daily headaches, many worst than others. Those may be what's left of my activity. But I can still be having some at night. They're just not waking me up shaking/convulsing.

Haha yeah, I remember sleeping as a kid sometimes and my mom or someone else would be watching tv and I could hear stuff going on, although when I woke up - I knew it was the tv for sure then :p it's a funny phenomenon to experience.

I think my worst nightmares were when I was on Lamictal in the past. I'm not sure if it was the Lamictal itself, or if it was vitamin deficiencies I had like in vitamin B or something that were causing such horrific things. I remember having like 5 of the scariest dreams of my life one night. They were subsequent - one after the other. I kept moving from my bed, to the couch, to a beanbag on the floor and no matter where I was at, that is where the dream would occur. I didn't sleep that night. My mom eventually let me sit up on the computer because I was so anxious from all the horrific nightmares. Thankfully that thing never happened again.

On another time, I had a dream that looked real, felt real, the surrounding setting was relevant to the room I was in and I literally saw a person standing above me threatening to kill me. I wasn't even sure when I fell asleep and when I woke up or if the whole ordeal was real. I still don't know...but I didn't want to sleep after that kind of thing.

I have also had the dreams where my teeth all start to fall out. That's awful! Sorry to hear you have experienced those ones, too...I just cannot with that one, but I've never been more grateful to have some teeth in my mouth when I wake up. When I was younger, I never thought of nightmares as a symptom and I don't think I brought it up to my neurologist, but it doesn't mean my mom didn't at some point because I was a teenager.

To wake up convulsing like that is scary. I've had that happen once - it wasn't pleasant. I was also alone in the middle of the night, no way to cry out for help. I'm sure glad I'm alive.

When I first started on Lamotrigine, I had some pretty wild nightmares. But that was a side effect that went away after a month or two.
I don't think I've dreamed of having a seizure while or after having an actual nighttime seizure.

I do occasionally dream that I’m having or have had a seizure, but it's more in the category of a basic anxiety dream.

Lamotrigine gave me crazy nightmares, too, before. Thankfully I'm no longer on it, but it was some crazy ride. Awfully vivid, horrific dreams at that point. That kind of thing never went away for me.

I remember having this weird dream that my friend's mom (who had mocked my seizures before) was standing outside by the sidwalk in front of their house. I walked across the street to ask her mom something and she turned around, chewing a mouthful of Lamictal tablets, some of the pieces crumbling out of her mouth because she wasn't closing her mouth and she kept saying, "I need my Lamictal!" It was horrible o_o

Although, the nightmares are greatly reduced these days (happen only a few times in a year), they seem to happen sometimes when something in my brain isn't going right.

When I had my surgery a few yrs. back I asked my neurosurgeon what made a person dream and he
told me it was what a person was thinking about in their sub conscious, but they didn't even realize they
were thinking about it. He also told me it could relate to something that happened that day or evening
along with something saw on tv.
Now when I have any dreams I think back about the day before and see if there is any relation to the dream
and anything that happened and sometimes there is. It's interesting how the mind work.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

Each time I've had these horrific dreams, it has been with the television off.

Generally in the dreams where I wake up feeling shaky, like I'm not all there, etc. I notice my memory will often be absolutely horrid in my dream - even worse than normal. Sometimes I'm wondering if my symptoms are sometimes inserting themselves in my dreams, which wouldn't be too crazy, but it is annoying - especially when you can't simply wake up to help yourself.

The television on with dreams can be kind of pointless and silly depending on what is on :p but that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

Back
Top Bottom