Strengthening/changing auras

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Usually when I have an aura, I usually just see spots and have phantom smells (rubbing alcohol scent), followed by a petit mal (90% of the time).

For the past few weeks however, my auras have strengthened by a thousand. It's as if I'm on a bad acid trip. I get nauseous, all I can smell is blood, and everything changes color and moves. No medication change in the month either.

Outside of the constant petit mals, I've *only* had three complex partials and two tonics within the last month or two, but the auras seem to be getting stronger and stronger.

Is it normal for auras to change and/or strengthen when one gets older?

Some of my simple partial seizures are stronger than others. The medication seems to be controlling the phantom odors very well. It is not as good at controlling the weakness/heaviness I experience in my left arm from shoulder to elbow and sometimes a strange feeling I have in the back of my left knee. During the last partial that was status, as most of my partials are, I was nauseous and kind of shaky or as if my arm was quivering. One time I think I may have had a visual hallucination but not really sure as I was about to fall asleep or just waking up, my memory is bad so I'm not sure of the time.

Back
Top Bottom