Struggling Student

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Went to class today hoping start the week off with a positive attitude. After class started our coordinator handed out the letters for those who made First Class Standing..after hours and hours of studying and busting my behind, I didn't make it..to add insult to injury students I know whom didn't bother to study or come to class made it... I'm definitely starting to feel defeated..

I'm waiting to talk to my professor/coordinator about this as I feel too fired up right now. (to talk about the problems with I'm having in class, not about the first standing).

Still trying to get in to see my doctor about the seizures...

I must say I am not encouraged for my 6 year old who is in the early trials of medication for absence seizures. It is sad to hear how people react to epilepsy. I feel that her teachers don't believe that she has epilepsy because her seizures are often brief and it appears that she is not listening. The staff involved with her care have been dismissive and hard on her. I am now debating whether to home school her (I have always wanted to:). Her performance academically at school is terrible. Yet at home she excels and I don't understand it.

What I fear is discrimination, neglect and ignorance due to the high amounts of each that we have experienced this year.

You all seem to have experienced this and I am sad for you. I am sad for my daughter. I want the best for her and don't know how to do it.

I am a college student taking my second MBA and I can tell you, I have gone through three, yes three surgeries... the third surgery was a DBS (Deep Brain Stimulator) for the Epilepsy because nothing else would work. I also have a the Vagus Nerve Stimulator so you can kindly call me a bionic woman ha ha ha!

At any rate, I went back to college in my 30s because for a long time I had to do something but how I did it was distance learning because 1) I don't drive and 2) I needed to focus on reading the material and 3) I get high anxiety in crowds (or did at the time from the medication I was on)

Anyway. I am no longer high anxiety because the medication is as low as it has ever been. I am so low the next step is to begin removing it. I am nearing the end of my second Master's degree which is in Human Resource Management. And on top of that, I have actually gone as far as taking my PhD. What stopped me from finishing it was financial and the seizure activity. I had the DBS installed in October of 2011 and a lot of things have opened up for me.

I feel so much better about myself it is amazing as I now know that I can do things independently, I actually just feel better health wise. Sure it took some time to get the DBS set correctly but that was a given; I knew that was going to happen anyway. Oh and before I forget, I have issues with my college regarding my seizures but you know one of the things I made sure to tell them right away was the fact being I had a disability and there was paperwork I had to go through. Each college works differently on how a student will work one on one with his or her instructor as it is a private matter but by filling out the ADA form, it will allow them to carefully plan out a schedule should a seizure take place and cause an assignment or a project to be delayed.

The person who you need to speak more to on filling this information about is your career adviser as he or she will have all of the documentation to fill out and send to all of your instructors for each term.

As for the mother with the younger daughter who is in primary school my only suggestion is to discuss your thoughts with the principle and find out how this situation will be handled by the faculty staff under the ADA law. If you need to, it may be a matter of expressing your fears to the superintendent of the school so they are aware of the situation as they are above the principal and will overlook the situation to ensure everyone is doing their jobs correctly.

The best thing you can do is ask questions until you are satisfied and keep asking questions. Hope this helps for both situations. =)

Hotwire:

I had the same difficulty with my principal investigator; I'd always show up late but I'd be sure to let him know that I'd rather be there once 1) the medication is taking effect (aka no one else would be in danger, no liabilities) and 2) I'd be functional enough to perform what was required of me, so he was then a lot more flexible with my schedule, and I did what I needed to on nights and weekends. As far as seeking understanding, it was weird enough being the 6 foot tall south Asian guy with a beard, surrounded by a lab full of attractive women... But then again working in a medically related field, coworkers and employers are far more likely to understand.

The thing is, the more you really communicate, the more (intelligent) people do understand, and they'll appreciate the fact that you don't just sit around like people they may know who really have nothing holding them back! If they don't understand or care to do so, it's their problem, and people have to be f***ing stupid to think its contagious; you're clearly more educated than them, so why bother seeking their approval? If you're up there grade-wise, maybe the haters aren't, and that makes them insecure when being beaten senseless academically by someone with your condition. Remember that no salvation is ever achieved without suffering... but suffering, when used properly, brings you closer to understanding yourself above all. And that could be the definition of salvation.

I have no idea how you have the courage to handle so many sharp knives so precisely with so much speed, it seems dangerous. This is coming from someone handling oncoviruses and even HIV+ blood, granted. But for the most part I can take my time, you can't! Yours world is where art meets science.

And if it's getting to be that much of a problem go to the higher ups. If it is impairing your ability to work and learn in the SLIGHTEST, it is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, and as a student I believe they are required to cater to your physiological needs if you are paying tuition.

Therefore, if you feel any discrimination, you'll be on top of things. The haters can f*** off like I said; think about everything you're able to overcome to get where you are. It's easy to be hated, it's not easy to stay above their level. Don't sink to it, but if push comes to shove, swallow your pride and acknowledge the condition as a disability rather than expecting yourself to suddenly be like everyone else, and I can promise people will literally be forced to understand even if they hate it, so don't make their problems YOUR problems. I mean a few hundred years ago we'd probably all be dead with this condition. A few thousand years ago, we'd probably be food.

But now the food is in your hands, as is your destiny. Chase it relentlessly and do not fear your true colors. It's better to be a total b**** in the workplace than someone else's toy. Get aggressive, but not to the point that you create a hostile work environment, since your field may be all about teamwork.

It's all in where you want to be, so build good relationships with your instructors; MAKE them compromise by showing what you're up against and how much strength and courage you really have. If not, that's a pretty big violation for the instructor, for not keeping you safe and not perpetuating a friendly, understanding learning environment.

I hope you hit those jerks right where it hurts, and turn your weakness into a strength. Your own prison is so much smaller than the person you are. Remember that. Much love!

Went to class today hoping start the week off with a positive attitude. After class started our coordinator handed out the letters for those who made First Class Standing..after hours and hours of studying and busting my behind, I didn't make it..to add insult to injury students I know whom didn't bother to study or come to class made it... I'm definitely starting to feel defeated..

I'm waiting to talk to my professor/coordinator about this as I feel too fired up right now. (to talk about the problems with I'm having in class, not about the first standing).

Still trying to get in to see my doctor about the seizures...

A thought to this as I got the thinking about it. When you enter a college class room the activity that takes place between another student is their business not for your concern. I often discovered if I brought something like that up I was looked down upon as to it was not my concern and I should only be concerned with my own grades and my performance in the class itself.

As it was worded to me, those that screw up in the classroom and do not turn in their work on time will not get a passing grade and will fail the term. Professors do not deal with students who are there to only party and have fun. They are being paid to lecture, teach, and help students learn. If a student does not wish to learn he or she can leave the classroom.

From your positive attitude I can tell you are trying your best and want to do everything possible to achieve greatness. Keep focused, follow the syllabus, ask questions, ignore the students that are acting out in the class as they do this intentionally (something else I discovered a long time ago)

Something you can also do is request to have students leave the classroom so you can focus on the lecture and the teaching if they are causing chaos. You have the right to do that because you are paying for your time of being there and you are paying for your learning. Others might get a little bitchy about it but you know what, you are the learner and you have the right to earn a good education. They do NOT have the right to take that away from you. If you have any issues with students that continue to cause a problem, I would seek counsel from a higher person within the school above the teacher so something can be done. Good luck in your studies!

Back
Top Bottom