Stuff Epileptics Say : )

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
A friend of mine pointed out a funny series of videos on YouTube the other day that were called "Shit _______ Say"- the videos were full of "inside jokes" for/referring to a community of people; Catholics, hipsters, drunk people, Mormons, referees, tourists, Americans, etc.

I love laughing about and making fun of E- my attitude is "It can't have you unless you let it have you....and when it has you, laugh your way out of its grip!" Anyone else share my sentiments? Let's have a go, yeah? What're some funny things we epileptics say (to each other even) that might only make sense to us?

I'll start with a few I find myself saying all the time haha

- "Do you smell bleach or am I having an aura?"

- "I found my keys!!!.....in the freezer..."

- "And then...oh, wait....no...aww shit, what was I saying?"

- "What were we talking about?"

- "Okay, errrrm, yeah. Those weren't Excedrin painkillers, those were my anti-seizure drugs."

- "No guys...remember what happened the last time we watched a movie with the lights off? Paramedics don't belong in the middle of "SourceCode"...."

- "Hey! How's your EEG going? Have you had any TCs yet?"

- "Crap....just dropped another glass. I really just need to buy a few plastic tumblers."

- "I'll buy you some chocolate if you drive me to the store! Haha."

- *crash* "IT'S OKAY, I JUST DROPPED A POT! I'M FINE! NO WORRIES!"

- "What are you doing? Aww come on...I shivered! It's cold in here. Look at you though, leaping into 'seizure mode'...my brain has trained you well!"

- "I know it isn't funny, I promise. I'm just having one of my laughing seizures."

- "What happened last night? I need to write it all down in my seizure journal...."

No i dont really have epilepsy,its just a loose wire in my head that blows now and again.

IMO, this is why epilepsy isn't taken seriously and people on the outside keep making offensive and derogatory remarks towards all of us with epilepsy.

If people on YouTube, Twitter, etc. can see all the "inside jokes", then they will continue making jokes and degrading statements about us. I think it needs not be on the web. Only educational material.

Read this article: Twitter Adding to Stigma of Epilepsy, Study Says
http://news.yahoo.com/twitter-adding-stigma-epilepsy-study-says-170205608.html

The web is a wild place, isn't it? Your remark in here just informed the rest of our community to watch out for their derogatory statements. Mark them as offensive.

Sometimes a little laughter is the best medicine. I 'mimicked' one of our daughters friends last night (head bobbing, hands all a flutter) and our daugher said "seizure...you're doing it wrong" and we all cracked up!

Kaitybugsmom, I always felt like laughter was the best medicine too- as a 22 year old girl with intractable epilepsy, my meds only do half the job they're supposed to do...I've got to fill up that other half somehow and I never felt like sitting around being somber helped me at all. It's so much better to laugh! : )

Cint I wholeheardedly agree with you to a point. I would certainly raise an eyebrow if someone without epilepsy wrote those sorts of things Neil and I threw out there, but I'd probably still laugh. Some things, when they're true and meant in good fun, are just plain hilarious and they're meant to be lighthearted, not cruel. Funny is funny. Now, that said, people being horrid and merciless should never be allowed; that isn't funny. Everyone should report those people. But letting yourself laugh at E and the effects it has on your life (if I lose my keys, I always know where to look- right next to the ice-cube trays! : ) ) will make a big difference in attitude and in overall health! When things get dark and gloomy and heavy, it's hard to deal with E. So I kick it around a little, like it does to me, and we go on- equals. Epilepsy can't do without me, and I apparently can't do without epilepsy, so we're stuck. I also feel like there's a black and white difference between a group of people making fun of themselves in good spirit and an outsider making fun of them maliciously. : / If we make fun of ourselves, or even give a teeny "poke" at E if one can't actually bring themselves to laugh or, God forbid, smile at our brain issues, we show people that they can loosen up...that we're not so different, not so freaky or creepy or repulsive. : )

Had some more fun between this morning and now haha : )

- "A girl freaking out, flailing, and shrieking after running into a cobweb is not the same thing as having a seizure hahaha; if it was, I'll be impressed with that spider, wherever he is!"

- "You're just going to give me a knife and then proceed to adjust the lights?"

- "Hey, asking your 2 year old/3 year old brothers to say 'epilepsy' was probably the funniest thing I have done all week..."

- "What would Freud have to say about what comes out of my mouth while I'm postictal!?"

Mymanuelita, you'd better watch out! Maybe your brain's getting ideas! ; )

Cheer up, ye Epilepsy Warriors! Life's all about being positive...anything can be a great adventure : )

Hey, I speak from ridiculous amounts of experience here haha ; )

How's your brain feeling mymanuelita? No more key-freezer interactions, I hope? I once found a pair of my flip-flop sandals in my refridgerator crisper drawer cuddled up to my lettuce...that was an exciting day haha

I haven't done that in awhile but I will keep an eye out. It's my daughter who was recently diagnosed. With epilepsy and I was gettig pretty worked up so your post was an awesome check. Thanks again.

My sympathies- getting diagnosed is probably the hardest part! You've come to the right place though; CWE is great for getting to know E and how to deal with it. If there's ever anything I can do to help you understand more, encourage you, make you laugh 'til you cry, etc. just send me a message. : )

"MORE bruises? Whoever he is, he doesn't love you, Seiz!"

"Have you ever actually tried your favourite epilepsy joke out for real? Want to? She's using the laundry machine again...can I just give you a TC in the bathtub and throw in my laundry and soap? I promise I will keep you from drowning!"

You have to be a good sport about it... Don't let it get to you too much : )

These are pretty funny seizurrific! I'm alot like you, I don't let epilepsy get me down. I'm the one laughing most of the time about things I do. I'm usually the one having the most fun when I go out and do things.

Last year my husband told my neuro that I wasn't acting like my normal self so my neuro wanted me to see a psych because he said I might be depressed. Neither my husband or I couldn't understand that, I wasn't depressed, not even close to it. We realized that it was when my neuro increased one of my meds that I started acting different. I stopped taking the increased dosage and was back to normal in no time.

I can relate to almost all of them, espically - "What happened last night? I need to write it all down in my seizure journal...." I ask my husband this all the time. Here are some others I thought of.

- "From the look on your face I can tell that I've told you this story already, how many times has it been now?"

- "Regan is dead!" Sort of an inside joke but it took me 2 years to actually remember that he is.

- "I'm sorry, I know your just told me but what was your name again?"

- "I know we've seen this already but don't tell me how it ends, I forget and I don't want you to ruin it for me."

Haha! You are exactly like me! "Don't ruin the end!" and your "I can't remember how many times I have told you this story..." ones had me laughing for a straight minute...I can definitely identify ; )

Your "Reagan is dead!" one reminds me of a question/answer conversation I have pre-ictally ;) My roommates videoed me twice and I was laughing SO HARD both times I literally had to run to the toilet to avoid wetting myself haha!

It starts when I have a few absence seizures in a row and friends notice something isn't right; to check they will ask me "What's the date today?" I will always say "October 5th." :) My friends are slow and gentle.
..."Nope. Try again okay?"
"It's October 5th."
"Let's sit down in the living room on Seizure Couch (It's aptly named; I sleep there postictally), alright? It's Feb. 23rd." They sit and pat the cushions next to them.
"No. No it isn't! It's October 5th." (I'm getting a bit testy)
"It's February 23rd today. You're going to have a seizure soon. You can just sit here on the couch, alright?"
"No! I don't want to sit!! And no it isn't! I'm not stupid."(at this point, people in the room who don't know me and my pre-ictal habits are exceedingly confused haha)
"It is, I promise. Look at my phone. See? February 23rd. Not October 5th. I promise. You're pre-ictal, Seiz. Sit down." (They are being very gentle with me)
"No! You're playing tricks! You're always playing tricks."
"Come out of that tiled floor kitchen and sit." They are more authoritative.

By this time I am being SO childlike they always laugh. The actual date changes (obviously) but the rest of the conversation stays exactly the same haha

"Why are you laughing at me?!"
"See John at the table? John here wants to be a neurologist, Seiz. You're pre-ictal and he's never seen you pre-ictal so I bet he thinks this is interesting. Epilepsy makes you funny sometimes, remember?...like when you have no filter when you were postictal and you called that prof a m*****f*****? Like that! That was funny."
*silence on my part until* "What are you doing here Melissa? (her name isn't Melissa)...oh no."
"You know that isn't my name, Seiz. What?"
I feel sick."
"I bet you do. I've been here the whole time, Seiz! We're keeping you company."
"I think I'm going to have a seizure. I have epilepsy you know...." (I always sound so proud of myself haha)
"I know."
(At this point I'm so close that I'm mumbling.)
"John, be an EEG tech. They're nice."
"Naw, I like neurology, Seiz. You're getting pretty close to the ictal phase here. Don't worry, I'll look out for you."
"Who are you?"
"John. "Melissa's" friend. I work up on campus; I'm a neuroscience major."
"That sucks." I begin a gelastic seizure..."Ahahaha! I have epilepsy! Hahaha-" .then BAM. TC.

Epilepsy is so much fun ; p

*snicker* "Oh poor poor me, I have epilepsy! What if I have a seeeeizure?! Whatever shall I DO?"

"I do not watch 3D movies. Ever."

"I could induce a seizure- that would stop their awkward behaviour, right? I'd do it for a juicy steak. You know, I take that back actually. That's a really bad idea..."

"No-can-do; I have absolutely no idea how to fake a tonic-clonic. I only know how to do it properly. And by that I mean for real."

"Don't you dare call the paramedics..."

"What was I saying?"

"You look really familiar but I can remember neither your name nor how I know you. Oh wait! You were my roommate during summer term..."

"Somebody grab my shoes..."

"That was the cutest paramedic that I won't remember..."

"Check it out guys...using the front burner on the stove! Livin' on the EDGE!

"What are you cooking and may I pleeeease have a bite? What? It's mine? YES!"

"I just found $40 in my coat pocket...I love when that happens! Let's buy a pizza!"

"No, it's true! I am a drug addict. But I don't like the word addict....I am drug dependent."

"Yes, I have epilepsy. And if you give me a seizure I will break your jaw. I'm not joking. I've done it before. Seriously."

"I'm sorry I'm so weepy...it's the Keppra...no seriously, I've cried at Planet Earth AND a gum commercial. Beat that haha."

"I stress out about having a seizure but all of that stress gives me a seizure so I stress about having too much stress and causing a seizure. It's a confusing and vicious cycle."

"I can't believe she was so drunk that she actually let me drive her home in her brand new car..."

"I didn't care if it was my 21st birthday...I went into that club, had a drink then an out of this world experience dancing in those swirling lights. Totally hypnotic. And then I had a seizure. It was okay though, they just thought I was pished."

"I'd rather have a seizure than go on another date with that creeper..."

"No worries! Just use me as an excuse!"

"My mouth tastes...minty. What do you mean the paramedic put a TicTac in my mouth? That looks nothing close to Ketamine."

"Holy St. Peter you guys...I just put my spaghetti in the clothes dryer..."

"No, that first aid poster isn't in every apartment. It's time for the Awkward Seizure Talk."

My Dr. has been struggling trying to find the right combo of meds to control my seizures and nothing has worked yet. It just so happens that my best friends son has a cat named "Dutch" who has started having seizures and he said that he took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago and he gave Dutch some meds and they are completely under control. This afternoon I just called him and asked for the Vets name and I am going to visit him for some advice. Never hurts to try something new!

" You better pay my $75 bill because you are a pussy when someone screams at you!"

Screamy, I paid the $75 vet bill and the seizures have been greatly reduced, but i am still coughing up the hairballs!! :loco:

"Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. I was busy carpe dieming."

"My service dog? Oh she's a drug detection dog. I'm in rehab and she attacks every time I bust out the amphetamines."

"[Garbledy, garbledy, word salad, merp.]"

"I'm sorry."

"I'm fine."

"Well if I'm reincarnated as another person with seizures, I hope I come back as a little person because 4' is is a less appreciable fall than 5'9"."

"...How did I get here? Mind if I stay and sleep for a bit?"

On a resume, under "Strengths"; "Maintains a normal, streaming level of consciousnesses 99.007% of the time." JK

"Oh, no, I'm fine; was just doin a little interpretive dancing."

"You have anbesol?! You are seriously my hero right now."

"Thanks for the ride!"

Last edited:
I love this thread! I have said that at least half stuff in here repeatedly.

Them "OMG how did that happen?" refering to whatever injury I'm currently sporting

Me "I was just being me" or "I thought the cane looked pimpin"

"Why does my head hurt?"

To my guys parents after a seizure on their bathroom floor
"I'm just gonna sleep here is that okay?"

Back
Top Bottom