Sunshine and Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Not the sunlight on it's own but certainly the movement or flickering of sunlight through trees and buildings has an effect on me. I have had increased activity during the light sensitive part of the EEG but not always. In terms of photosensitive epilepsy there is not necessarily a difference between natural and artificial light. All people are different.

It's a long shot but look into her Vitamin D levels. Exposure to sunshine produces Vitamin D. Vitamin D is a co-factor of Magnesium. Too much Vitamin D locks up Magnesium which is known as a sedating mineral. Without Magnesium in play, neuronal transmission can be disorganized and lead to seizures.

Sunshine and heat is a huge trigger for me. If I go out in the direct sunllight I always wear a large hat and I have prescription glasses that darken. If I don't wear a hat I instantly get seizure activity.excessive temperature changes also give me a hard time. Coming out of a hot shower is a regular one for me.

Hi Sandie, that obviously sounds very difficult. Last week I learned something astounding about temperature change and blood pH. It was actually very counterintuitive and hard to believe, so I nicely grilled the author on Facebook and she held steady, so I choose to believe: the higher the air temperature, the higher the blood pH. Also, the lower the air temperature, the lower the blood pH. I'm not necessarily advocating her diet, but here's her template based on actually testing people. http://www.marionhauser.com/s_ph_levels.html

This is completely contrary to what I would have thought. Even water and plasma tests outside the body show a rise in temperature lowers pH (more acidic), But there appears to be a skin-blood axis and like many compartments of the body, one affects the other. So, when someone takes a hot shower and their skin temperature rises, according this information their blood pH would also rise (become more alkaline). This shift in blood pH may affect cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) pH where CSF pH is said to reflect blood pH. So, this might shift brain pH as discussed earlier toward alkalosis and cause seizure. Then the brain naturally raises acid (lowers pH) to halt seizure. The big question is, why is the body overcompensating?

One system often compensates for another, i.e., respiratory vs. metabolic (renal) acidosis/alkalosis, but why overcompensation? To me, the wildcard is microbial imbalance, though I'm sure there may be other reasons. Yet diet which shifts flora is a powerful tool in stopping seizure activity. Neurology still treats epilepsy from the neck up as if the body is sterile.

Our bodies are like any body of water, even a swimming pool which must be constantly maintained, especially pH balance, or it turns green.

Last edited:
I been out in garden all day it's so warm I never used to have this problem but I noticed its making me sooooo tired and out of energy. The sun usually makes me happy and full of life :(

Apparently, you're not alone, Hand:
http://forums.bettermedicine.com/sh...s-and-chronic-fatigue-for-me-what-s-the-cause

What's the mechanism? Might it be related to intracellular organisms affected by light, suppressing cellular functions? Fatigue is also part of diabetes (diabetic neuropathy). High blood sugar, low oxygen, metabolic acidosis . . . in the brain these things are related to axon dysfunction, the sending of electrical signals between neurons.
http://jp.physoc.org/content/480/Pt_2/297.full.pdf
New research project: http://www.maxplanckflorida.org/press.html?newsid=145

I have problems with sun

I am on diamond , not really used very much anymore and trileptal . These both give me horriblee photosenstivity . At one time I was on tegretol which was horrible with my eyes . I have seizures because of this and where polorized sunglasses also . It may be due to the meds.

Yep, same thing still happens to me if I don't wear sunnies. Get her to wear dark-shaded sunglasses. If you don't have any to give her get her to put one hand over her eye. At 12 I had my first arm/hand jerks in front of a computer at school. The computers then were very old. At 13 I had Tegratol (I've forgotten how to spell it) and as a result had falling-over fits every day. My parents would laugh at me and sometimes get angry at me over it. I beg of you not to ever, ever do this to your daughter. Plus Myoclonus Epilepsy is the most difficult form of Epilepsy to medicate. I went on every 'Epileptic drug' and none of them have helped. I'm 25 now and don't drive, but my life would be worse and for those around me if I took these meds. If I was you I would not let her have these meds. I practically lost my childhood as a result. And you should encourage her gently to not stress, do deep breathing, exercise and give her a high-fat diet. Apparently high fat such as in yogurts/dairy can help Epilepsy. Also be cautioned with Caffeine. When I had caffeine I had more jerks. Remember as well that people who have photosensitive Epilepsy shouldn't be on a computer/technology for too long. I've used the old computers for 15 min and have ended up having multiple-jerks. I hope that the school your daughter is going to are putting things in place to help her, such as letting her use a more new laptop that has less flashing Hurtz. I pray all the best for your girl and hope she gets better.

Last edited:
There have been people coming onto this thread through 2012 and 2013, including myself, looking for information about sunshine and seizures, because of the title of this thread. I'm suggesting that, to keep the thread clear and available for those who need to look into this topic, it'd be kinder to open a separate thread about GI issues. I'm not a moderator so it's not my role to do more than offer the suggestion.

Jessica, I have photosensitive seizures. Would you believe that I've never even considered trying dark glasses? Thanks for that.

Nakamova, it appears some comments are missing regarding sneezing. Have you deleted some of the comments in your editing yesterday?

heat&humidity can bring on my seizures,I also have photo sensitive seizures and I use a built in glare screen on my computer or I'd be having sz's on it.

Last edited:
I have potentially severe problems when I go in the sun. The sun on my skin can trigger seizures. The radiation from the sun promotes chemical reactions in the body, which create voltage, which travels to the brain to create seizures. Our bodies are solar panels. Some of us are so sensitive to this radiation. I have to completely cover up when I do go in direct sunshine, including my hands and face, and some radiation gets through still. I wear a towel over my head. The more layers I wear, the more comfortable I am. I have a genetic corruption in my muscle cells which is contributing to my disorder, (muscular dystrophy). I have not found a doctor who understands this sufficiently, or even remotely, so I am still trying to figure things out.

"Seek and you will find."

Back
Top Bottom