surgery and seizures... generic surgery..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AndrewIrish

Stalwart
Reaction score
on sunday i broke my shoulder from a tc... surgeon wants to screw my upper arm into the socket essentially because i dented the head of my upper arm bone..my concern is... ill prolly have more tcs... do i really want metal screws and objects in my shoulder in the future when that happens? anyone have experience?

I had screws put in my back the beginning of this year. I very rarely have TC seizures and when I do have them I usually don't fall or things like that. I've actually caused more injuries to myself when I have a partial seizure.

I didn't have a second thought about having the screws in because I haven't had any back pain since, which I did for years before I had it done.

The only bad thing about it is that you can't have an MRI. However I have a VNS so I'm unable to have one any way. If you're not worried about that then I'd say have it done.

Dec. 2012 I had my thyroid taken out due to cancer (thankfully it was contained). Never had a seizure during or after the procedure. Not for about a week after.

Since I was having surgery on my spine the dr warned me that if I were to have a seizure while under anesthesia things might happen, like being paralyzed. He said that it's very unlikely for people to have seizures under anesthesia because your body is very relaxed.

It was a few days after the surgery that I had a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom