Symptoms Change like seasons in a year

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello all,
It's been a while since I've been on here. It took me nearly a year to finally cope with the diagnosis of simple and complex seizures. Initially, my seizures responded very well to keppra (but hair loss forced me to quit). And now I have been taking lamictal 300mg. Initially, the symptoms I felt were déjà vu sensations. Then what I call "head rushes" for a period of time. This later transformed in the rising gastric sensation. Now, I am realizing that I am having several dream flashbacks throughout the day. Which I wonder even are dreams that I had that night or if my brain is making them up as I go along. These flashbacks involve a whole host of mixed feelings, ex. Euphoria, fear, panic. At some point throughout all of this I started having myoclonus jerks. Now I am concerned that this is worsening since this used to only involve one involuntary jerk in some part of my body. More recently, my legs almost are getting caught up in this jerking movement for a few seconds.

My question is does anyone else go through changing symptoms with their epilepsy, as though they come in phases? My next question is, does this mean my symptoms are worsening or that the epilepsy is spreading to other areas? Do your symptoms constantly change over periods of time? Thanks!

Wow we sound the same. I am recently diagnosed (confirmed EEG april 2012) and it was hard to accept.
Mine do change as well which I think contributes to the delayed diagnosis (was bounced around the psych field for this for 12 years).
I don't know why or how since I'm still new to the area but I wanted to let you know this happens to me as well. I have even noticed over the years that mine gets worse and better throughout the year. Some people get winter depression but I love the winter because my symptoms (seizures) improve. In the summer they get much worse with the heat.
My episodes tend to start with minor quick panic feelings and heart racing. I get a couple complex ones but for a few weeks I have mostly only simple partials. They eventually progress to spacey feelings, intense sensations and decreased awareness. At some point they become this dejavu feeling and the spaceyness increases. Eventually the episodes change the loss of motor functions and speech until the blackouts start (becomming generalized frequent episodes.
It tapers off after a few major episodes which tends to be the end of the summer.
I may be wrong but to me it seems that my symptoms tell me how controlled or uncontrolled my seizures are and how likely I am to have a major or minor episode. It's not a completely accurate or reliable indicator but it gives me an idea to work with. I just have to remind myself that surprises could be around the corner.
I believe the heat is a seizure trigger for me. Every major episode has been in the summer. In the winter it's almost always better.
I would keep track of details, your pattern might be able to tell you something. Maybe start a detailed seizure tracker and take it to your doctor

My question is does anyone else go through changing symptoms with their epilepsy, as though they come in phases? My next question is, does this mean my symptoms are worsening or that the epilepsy is spreading to other areas? Do your symptoms constantly change over periods of time? Thanks!

My seizures started out as SPs or auras. It was like I was hearing someone calling my name, but I would look behind me and no one was there. Several months later, I started getting these strange sensations like I was going to pass out, but didn't. I went to the dr. and was diagnosed as hypoglycemic. A month later I had my first TC. So for some, the symptoms can and do spread to other areas of the brain. All that happened over 30 years ago and still dealing with CPs today.

Those feelings of euphoria can be SP's.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures
Sensory seizures:

~These cause changes in any one of the senses.

~People with sensory seizures may smell or taste things that aren't there; hear clicking, ringing, or a person's voice when there is no actual sound; or feel a sensation of "pins and needles" or numbness.

~Seizures may even be painful for some patients. They may feel as if they are floating or spinning in space.

~They may have visual hallucinations, seeing things that aren't there (a spot of light, a scene with people).
~They also may experience illusions—distortions of true sensations. For instance, they may believe that a parked car is moving farther away, or that a person's voice is muffled when it's actually clear.

Back
Top Bottom