Systemic candida causing seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

What I have been led to believe is:

Many times if you have yeast symptoms on the external organs, you have it internally as well. If you have been given lots of antibiotics over the years that too can cause yeast in the system. Some vitamins, and antivirus medication can increase yeast as well.

You need to remove sugars, and simple carbs from your diet, when trying to eliminate it from your system, and perhaps talk to you doctor about testing for it. There are pharmaceutical drugs to kill it, as well as some over the counter products.

I just remembered there is a spit test that you can do. You take a clear glass of water and first thing in the morning you spit into the water.
http://www.adhdrelief.com/CandidaTest.html

Also your tongue should be pink. Here are some pictures of unhealthy tongues:
http://www.stankurtz.com/biomedical/tongues-chronically-ill.html

Last edited:
Mamaruns, very obscure that you are mentioning all this, my first ever filling was done during the first trimester of my pregnancy with my youngest son. He has some pretty numerous problems, i.e. global development delay 'slight' dysmorphic features, a severe latex allergy, chronic asthma that has almost killed him on 4 occasions in less than 5 years, psoriasis on his scalp, learning difficulties, and also SEVERE Hypermobility Syndrome (his joints are hyper flexible to the point that they dislocate by themselves, he can't even hold a pencil without his splint on as his thumbs are so badly affected, also his ankles and shoulderblades). Even odder that I had my first MAJOR seizure 2 weeks after his birth. Although, with my family history, I don't suppose I would have avoided having seizures altogether,I'd had smaller seizures previously, simple partials, but all the girls with diagnosed seizures (including my 10 year old) have at least 1 old-style (mercury amalgam) filling, whereas the girls that don't, either have newer composite fillings only, or no fillings at all.

Just an update, and to answer my own original question - the yeast has been gone for awhile now, but I still have epilepsy. So much for that theory. But at least my ears are cleared up, multiple food allergies have disappeared, and I don't feel like throwing up every time I eat.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

That's wonderful news to hear and thanks
for posting the update!

:)

Perhaps the candida caused absorption issues, and over time you might see a reduction in seizure activity, when the brain is receiving what it needs for optimum function.

I will hope for the best

same symptons

I beleive that i have candida as well as may of had it since i was 14, when i started having 1 seizure a year my neurologists have done every single test possible and no clue so they have me on meds. i still have twitches once in a while. i have done some research re: seizures and candida and there are a few cases re: this.

Hi Candace - I believe my daughter has an issue with it as well. She at times has indications that it is systemic. Last week in fact she was uncomfortable. I gave her Grapefruit Seed Extract and it began to help. Problem is this is not compatible with some medications.

Eliminating sugars, simple carbs, refined food and high sugar fruits, from your diet will help. Also probiotics can help too. Many doctors don't even know how to test for this.

I hope you can find ways to fight it.

I started having seizures at 14, and i believe its the same time i probably had candida which i think i do because no neurologist can find out 1 thing wrong with me. What can i do to get rid of it i have tried hydrogen peroixide iv therapy, cleanses..

yeah i was a while ago doing the grapefruit liquid but i have heard it is not good with antiseizure meds so im going to try the colon cleanse and diet again..i just wish it wasnt so hard.

If you tire of the natural route, a couple of little pills from your doc will kill every yeast/fungus cell in your body. There are also some natural powders my naturopath gave to me, but they made me pretty sick. He said it was the candida going into my system as it died that made me sick, but when I took the dr.'s pills I didn't get sick, so I think that's bolderdash.

Yep, you can starve teh little suckers, too. the zero carb diet for awhile.....

Die-off does make people extremely ill. There are many references that mention this symptom. I believe in the slow and steady course. Building with probiotics to counter balance the bad.

Here's my health construct regarding candida and perhaps all major disease including diabetes, cancer, autism, etc.: the underlying cause is protozoa, hungry amoebas eating too much good bacteria leaving the body open to yeast. By killing both yeast and protozoa and boosting good bacteria while mopping up toxins produced by yeast and raising pH, I believe I'm on the right path in helping my dog avoid seizures. I've been able to halt clusters using this construct, but the jury is still out as to whether this is an intractable chronic problem. I believe the seizures begin in the gut, particularly the small intestine where adhesions (scars) in the lacteal ducts (lymphatics responsible for transporting fat) connect with the nervous system. The gut-brain connection is powerful stuff, of course, and this was Edgar Cayce's view in regard to most seizures.

A few things I believe have helped stop clusters in my dog:

chlorella: mops up toxins and oxygenates blood

MSM: adjusts pH

sodium chlorite (OX-E-drops, MMS): kills candida and protozoa and raises pH

colloidal silver: kills yeast and protozoa (amoebas)

activated charcoal and french green clay: mop up toxins

I'm especially hopeful about chlorella; a recent study about how it mops toxins which may be responsible for seizure:
Effects of Chlorophyll and Chlorophyllin on Low-Dose Aflatoxin B1 Pharmacokinetics in Human Volunteers
(this system won't allow me to post the link because I've just registered)

Also, I'm wondering if malic acid will help heal scarring in the gut.

A few things I believe have helped stop clusters in my dog:

chlorella: mops up toxins and oxygenates blood

MSM: adjusts pH

sodium chlorite (OX-E-drops, MMS): kills candida and protozoa and raises pH

colloidal silver: kills yeast and protozoa (amoebas)

activated charcoal and french green clay: mop up toxins.

I'd be very careful with some of those supplements
. Colloidal Silver has been shown to be toxic when ingested. When googling colloidal silver the results were scary.
The effectiveness of these products has never been scientifically proven, and in some jurisdictions, it is currently illegal to include such claims in product advertisements.[14] Medical authorities and publications advise against the ingestion of colloidal silver preparations, because of their lack of proven effectiveness and because of the risk of adverse side effects, such as argyria.[2][15][16][17] Historically, colloidal silver was also used as an internal medication to treat a variety of diseases. Their use was largely discontinued in the 1940s, due to the development of safe and effective modern antibiotics and concern about adverse side effects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

Sodium Chlorite is also known to be rather toxic. Thankfully only 1 person is known to be poisoned with it.

There is only one human case in the medical literature of chlorite poisoning.[11] It seems to confirm that the toxicity is equal to sodium chlorate. From the analogy with sodium chlorate, even small amounts of about 1 gram can be expected to cause nausea, vomiting and even life-threatening hemolysis in Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase deficient persons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chlorite

Also, I know activated charcoal to absorb stomach acid but haven't found any reference to scientific proof that it draws out toxins.

Last edited:
I agree, we do need to be careful with silver and sodium chlorite because they probably kill the good bacteria along with the parasites. This is controversial, so the question becomes how can one kill protozoa while leaving other good gut flora intact? There are other natural ways to combat amoeba such as the Indian ayurvedic kutaj. Certain probiotics might help crowd out the protozoa such as the soil-based organisms (Primal Defense) and Culturelle probiotic may be another good choice. Also, chlorella is supposed to feed good bacteria, another benefit toward lowering yeast as bacteria eat yeast. Regarding activated charcoal, it's used in emergency rooms for poison detox. And I agree, keeping stomach acid high is very important as it along with pancreatic enzymes are first line of defense.

Another factor are hormones such as estrogen which are known to both increase protozoa and also be increased by them. Birth control pills are known to cause candida through raising estrogen and the explanation usually does not involve parasites (I'm still learning about this aspect). The point is we need to work toward balancing gut flora which is more art than science these days. Low bacteria caused by protozoal overgrowth seems an overlooked cause of imbalance. I believe this condition causes the common denominators of all major disease: acid reflux, arthritis, high and low cholesterol . . . and candida overgrowth.

Increasing oxygen and raising pH are also very important. The good things about chlorella and MSM is they are nontoxic, but they don't directly kill protozoa. Also, we need to be careful with probiotics because not only can they feed protozoa, but when they eat yeast the toxins are released, so a good binder is important such as chlorella, clays and activated charcoal. Best to start slowly.

Last edited:
I agree, we do need to be careful with silver and sodium chlorite because they probably kill the good bacteria along with the parasites. This is controversial, so the question becomes how can one kill protozoa while leaving other good gut flora intact? There are other natural ways to combat amoeba such as the Indian ayurvedic kutaj.

This is not the issue. The issue is that sodium chlorite is an industrial cleaner that is used for bleaching textiles that WHO as well as numerous countries have banned the sale of for ingestion.
The main application of sodium chlorite is the generation of chlorine dioxide for bleaching and stripping of textiles, pulp, and paper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chlorite

Praise for Rhys Morgan, 15, over 'miracle' cure alert
Rhys Morgan, 15, from Cardiff, who has Crohn's disease, found the US-based product on an online forum about the intestinal disorder.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) issued an EU-wide warning and put UK councils on alert over retail sales.

Hefin Davies, of the FSA, said Rhys's actions had been "very positive".
The FSA has ordered councils to be on the look-out for retail outlets, including websites, selling the product, called Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS).
One website promoting the liquid described it as the "greatest breakthrough for all time" that is "bound to change medicine for ever".

The website claims hundreds of lives have been saved by the product and "reports of overcoming incurable diseases are happening every day".

But the FSA has warned people not to consume the product.
It said: "MMS is a 28% sodium chlorite solution which is equivalent to industrial-strength bleach.

"When taken as directed it could cause severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, potentially leading to dehydration and reduced blood pressure.

Regarding activated charcoal, it's used in emergency rooms for poison detox. And I agree, keeping stomach acid high is very important as it along with pancreatic enzymes are first line of defense.
Activated charcoal does absorb ingested poison if taken immediately & before the poison can enter your bloodstream but taking it will not draw out old poisons from your system.

Increasing oxygen and raising pH are also very important. The good things about chlorella and MSM is they are nontoxic, but they don't directly kill protozoa. Also, we need to be careful with probiotics because not only can they feed protozoa, but when they eat yeast the toxins are released, so a good binder is important such as chlorella, clays and activated charcoal. Best to start slowly.

Increasing oxygen & raising pH happen very naturally. Doctors call it homeostasis and taking such supplements does nothing. It is why you will never see someone who understands human physiology buying bottled water with added oxygen.

Last edited:
Epileric, I wish you would address the general theory as well as the potential remedies. There are several antiprotozoals on the market and none are 100% effective.

I disagree regarding oxygenation and raising pH as there are many things we can do to help the body reach homeostasis. High acid and low oxygen go hand in hand and this is a dangerous condition called acidosis.

Through my experience with activated charcoal, I tend to agree with you that the timing has to be right. Regarding MMS, however, I believe it can be useful. The problem is since it works by oxidation, amoebas can survive as they have their own antioxidants. Also, they have the ability to hide in places difficult to reach such as synovial fluid of joints (arthritis) and the gut lumen. But sodium chlorite is proven safe and effective in my own experience. The site nzymes.com sells a product called OX-E-drops not requiring activation. Please check it out.

I'm still trying to get my dog in balance, so I don't have the answers, but just sharing what I know. In the past couple years since this began I've been through many, many theories and ruled out many things. this site has been helpful along the way . . . thank you!

Last edited:
I disagree regarding oxygenation and raising pH as there are many things we can do to help the body reach homeostasis. High acid and low oxygen go hand in hand and this is a dangerous condition called acidosis.

True but if you study acidosis you'll see that it is caused when the body creates too much acid, not when we ingest too much acid and there is no supplement that can stop the kidney from doing that.
Metabolic acidosis may result from increased production of metabolic acids or disturbances in the ability to excrete acid via the kidneys. Renal acidosis is associated with an accumulation of urea and creatinine as well as metabolic acid residues of protein catabolism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acidosis
amoebas can survive as they have their own antioxidants. Also, they have the ability to hide in places difficult to reach such as synovial fluid of joints (arthritis) and the gut lumen.

You should check your source because no respectful or medical source will claim that there are amoebas in synovial fluid or that they cause arthritis. Are you sure you're not thinking of Mycoplasma fermentans which is actually a bacteria that causes arthritis?

But sodium chlorite is proven safe and effective in my own experience. The site nzymes.com sells a product called OX-E-drops not requiring activation. Please check it out.
I have checked it out & if you'd check my links you'll see that it's been proven dangerous & was made illegal as a supplement. The only sites that claim otherwise seem to sell it or belong to Jim Humble so I'm reluctant to believe them so please be careful with that stuff.

Bleachgate: How a Welsh schoolboy exposed the truth behind a miracle drug

Last edited:
We'll agree to disagree on a number of points. Perhaps you would add to the conversation by discussing what is important I'm addressing: that candida yeast overgrowth is caused by protozoal overgrowth because protozoa eat good bacteria which normally eats yeast leaving the body open to yeast overgrowth. Simply treating the yeast problem doesn't help long term as the underlying amoebic culprit remains and the yeast grows back quickly.

I've noticed you haven't addressed the item I'm most excited about: chlorella. It's highly nutritious and nontoxic food.
Its benefits appear to be threefold:
1) mops toxins possibly responsible for seizure (2009 study noted above)
2) grows good bacteria which may crowd out yeast and protozoa
3) increases oxygen which may be very important for seizure control

Since chlorella has the most chlorophyll of any food it is a potent way to increase oxygen as chlorophyll is very similar to hemoglobin (one molecule difference) which is the part of our blood responsible for carrying oxygen.

Combined with MSM and probiotics, chlorella seems like a very good thing.

The jury is still out regarding protozoal control. I think we're going to be hearing much more in the news about this overlooked parasite causing much intestinal distress. They are free-swimming and are known to go to the brain and cause brain tumors. I believe it's a matter of poor sanitation. In the developed world we pump oxygen into our sewage to multiply microorganisms to break down organic material. This is called activated sludge and it's been going on less than 100 years. The US EPA ignores amoebas in pathogen reduction requirements, so we pollute our water and soil with protozoa. The law is obsolete. In the Third World where no adequate sanitation exists, people defecate directly into drinking water. It should be no wonder that India has the most diabetics in the world and that gastric bypass rapidly cures diabetes as infected duodenums are removed from play. There is another thread here in this forum where people are talking about their gastrointestinal problems associated with epilepsy.

Please keep an open mind on sodium chlorite (MMS and OX-E-drops). The references you site hold less weight than the people selling it. Of all the things I've used to try to halt horrific seizure clusters in my dog, including rectal valium, I attribute recent success a few times now to this product in the right dose. Halting a canine cluster is akin to stopping a freight train and a few times now she has been kept to one seizure. There probably is a safer way and I'm actively seeking it because I don't believe it's been successful long term. Bombing her out with colloidal silver gave her three months seizure-free, so I don't think that's the cure either. Now I'm giving chlorella, MMS and probiotics a chance. Some people are swallowing worms to cure ulcerative colitis, but they don't know why it works. They think it's hormonal, but I believe it's because worms are vacuuming up their diet of protozoa.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom