Talk me out of my tree!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have not been on the site for a while, and I am happy to report my 8 year old son is doing awesome. We have been seizure free since the end of December, he has started on a mood stabilizer about 6 weeks ago and our entire life is better. He is doing great in school, he is a much more manageable at home too, we are just overwhelmed to see him reaching his potential, finally. Here is the issue, my 2 year old. WE have had two instances where she had longer then usual nights, they were about 13 hours, she normally sleeps about 11. While kids grow and that is normal, how she woke up was not normal. In both instances she was not talking and not really showing any emotion, just lying on my shoulder not eating and completely not herself. Like she was sick except she wasn't. At about 5PM in both cases, she snapped out it. It has been a few months since the last episode and then something strange happened. Today, while she was in her stroller, she started screaming, "my thumb", I looked at her thumb and it was hyper flexed backwards, not a normal looking thumb. As I touched her hand it went back to normal, maybe it lasted 15 seconds. At this point I have the benefit of hind site, and I am worried. Could these be seizures? My son has epilepsy, my brother had epilepsy and the doctors can not confirm one way or the other if it is genetic although circumstances kinda say it is. Am I wrong to be scared and to want to investigate? I am sick to my stomach over this. I should mention that she is very difficult today, screaming and non cooperative as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I don't think it can hurt to get her checked out. The thumb thing sounds very odd, so even if it's not seizure-related, you probably want to figure out what's going on.

Hi! Could the thumb thing be related to the medication? I wake up in the morning with my left thumb bent backwards- some times it clicks back in to place whilst other times I simply rub it back and it can be painful. what mood stabilizers is your child on?
:)

Listen to your instincts and get her checed out. My theory is I would rather look like an over the top mum and get my child checked out then to ignore it and it to be something which will affect their quality of life in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom