Talking meds twice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I take the same meds and dosades at 7am and 7pm. I took my 7am them then took my 7pm again right now again at 9am.

I've done it before and I know it was ok I did it. I can't get ahold of him to ask him what I should do.

Take meds again at 7pm, don't take them, drink/eat something.

Does anyone know what is a good thing to do?

Taking an extra dose will likely cause your blood syrum levels to rise a bit higher than normal. You may or may not experience more pronounced side effects until the blood syrum level returns to normal.

I think you should continue taking the meds on schedule (ie. take your 7pm dose at 7pm). Otherwise, your blood syrum level might drop too low over night and that would be worse than maintaining a slightly elevated dose overnight.

Thanks Bernard.

Once when I did it I got really sick and went to the ER. They thought I was trying to over dose and didn't give me any answers.

The last time I did it I think my neuro told me to drink a lol of water to try to flush it out of my system. I just couldn't remember what he said to do at 7pm.

Why is it so hard to get ahold of drs!!!!!

BTW, is the med you took an extended release type? If it is, it might be better to take a half dose at 7pm instead of a full dose. I'd be interested to know what your Dr/Nurse says when you get a hold of them.

I think did me to to take meds but it was only certain ones and dosages of them.

I will let you know Bernard

I know you'll probably believe this but I still haven't got a reply from neuro. Called several different numbers for his office 5 hours ago. I know calling usually won't get you a reply though. My my PCP called around the same time and hasn't about it and even he hasn't gotten a reply!

I'd sent the message to the dr. I usually get a quick reply from that but haven't this time. I just sent him another message just now asking about it. I pretty much told him off in it. I guess Keprage can come in handy sometimes -lol

I'm not worried about taking the meds twice. Like I said I've done it before and didn't have any real problems. I'd just like some simple information that I can't get!

Here are the epilepsy meds that I take at 7am and 7pm, they are all the generic and none are extended release:

Depakote 500mg - 2 pills
Keppra 750 - 2 pills
Lamictal 150mg - 2 pills
Lamictal 25mg - 1 pill

When they finally got back to me at 4:30 they told me to still take my 7pm meds but only take half of my Lamictal, everything else would be the same. They said to take it at 9pm since I took it at 9am so that there would be 12 hours between the dosages. Tomorrow I'll take everything normal again.

I'm not sure if she was a nurse or not who called me back but she told me that she always checks the messages before she leaves. She said that there was a message on there for me (who knows when it was left) from a nurse at the neuro's office and she was returning it. It said about what meds and dosages to take and explaining when to take them.

She told me that the message said that I might feel sick and tired because of taking the double dose. If I were very sick then I needed to go to the ER. Well it was really nice that she told me this 7 hours after I'd called, my PCP called and I'd left 2 messages on the website for my neuro. These things would have happened already!

It's annoying how much we’re left to fend for ourselves. If something terrible had happened they could be sued!

It was really sweet this morning when I got up there was a message for me from the neuro's office saying 'I wanted to follow up with you this morning and see how your evening went. How are your feeling this morning?'

It's annoying how much we’re left to fend for ourselves. If something terrible had happened they could be sued!
If we're dead, who'd advocate for us?

I've done this many times (severe memory issues) and I take:
Depakote 500mg BID
Vimpat 100mg TID
Klonopin 2mg TID
Lomotil 2.5 SID (not related to the epilepsy from now on, but they might be significant, interacting with the AEDs if overdosed)
Desipramine 25mg BID
Dyciclamine 20mg TID
Xarelto 15mg BID
Also a Vit D supplement, since I cannot go outside for longer than 15 min, without full cover, or I'll blister:
D3 1000 IU BID.
I have also notified the Team via phone AND fax, have never gotten a response. Not even once. This has happened more times than I can count, without checking my seizure log. It's usually in the mornings, and I don't realize it until I begin to feel "stoned" and my meds have NOT been moved to the desk prematurely. My system: I have a wooden box in which I keep all of the bottles (they barely all fit) and it's in plain sight next to the living room desk. I don't move it until I've taken the afternoon dose. THEN I move it to the cabinet INSIDE my desk reminding me to take the evening dose.
However, this confuses me (severe memory issue) and I think, "did I take my normal morning dose when my watch's haptics remind me to do so?"
So I often take them again, just to be certain. I've often wondered if that is hurting me somehow.

I take the same meds and dosades at 7am and 7pm. I took my 7am them then took my 7pm again right now again at 9am.

I've done it before and I know it was ok I did it. I can't get ahold of him to ask him what I should do.

Take meds again at 7pm, don't take them, drink/eat something.

Does anyone know what is a good thing to do?
Hi Valeried,
I so often do this same thing and freak out somewhat. I take other anti-seizure meds too and really worry at times about what to do. I wait on the other pills spreading them out through out the day so I'm not so overly drugged. Even though I use a pill container every day I still find myself mixed up at times. Give yourself grace and relax if possible. Sounds like your doctor got back to you. I thought Depakote was all extended release? I take two different dosages 500 2x day and 1 250 1x day. Do you use a medication holder? It helps. Thanks, Jeanne

I have an AM/PM weekly pill container. Thankfully I take the same pills therefore I don't have the problem of taking the wrong ones. However, there have been many times where I just could NOT remember if I took them or not. Thankfully I can go look. That was my problem before. I just couldn't remember and didn't want to skip a dose. Before getting the weekly organizer, I took a double dose. Boy did the Vimpat make me dizzy. I know that if I miss a dose to just take the next one and don't take two too closely together.

I have an AM/PM weekly pill container. Thankfully I take the same pills therefore I don't have the problem of taking the wrong ones. However, there have been many times where I just could NOT remember if I took them or not. Thankfully I can go look. That was my problem before. I just couldn't remember and didn't want to skip a dose. Before getting the weekly organizer, I took a double dose. Boy did the Vimpat make me dizzy. I know that if I miss a dose to just take the next one and don't take two too closely together.
I have weekly pill cases filled with meds for what time I take them during the day. I put them in daily pill cases for each hour I take them. I keep only the dose I take next out and the others are in the cupboard.

This time I was probably still half asleep because just reached in the cupboard and took out the 7pm pill case and took those meds instead of taking the pill case that was sitting out with my 9am in it. Now all my meds are in a box with a lid on it do I really can't get into it unless I'm awake. Only the next dose is kept out.

A friend of mine takes 9 different kinds of pills every day (she recently got a kidney transplant). I count my blessings and knock on wood that it's just the one med for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom