Teacher blacklisted for seizures suing NYC DOE

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Can you please explain what you meant here?

I didn't mean anything specific. I've had epilepsy for 20 years myself and I don't know if I would want the welfare of a classroom full of young children to depend on whether or not I was having a bad day with my epilepsy.

All I'm saying is that depending on what kind of epilepsy a person has, it could just be a bad situation. If someone who has epilepsy wants to be a teacher, I don't have a problem with it. I just see where problems might come up. I applaud him for wanting to press on.

Disabilities Network of NYC member reviews case

I have complex partial epilepsy and I need to inform those discussing in this area:

1. The person suing said he never got a response. This is a common procedure at HRS Office at65 Court- If you feel discrimination has occurred, then you file with the EEOC within 180 days not an internal office in thee DOE.I was originally informed that according to Chancelor's regulations that no outside agency could not investigate the fact they knew I had complex partial epilepsy. I spoke to Mr. Gordon head of human resources because I was not receiving an answer, and then my records were lost. About a year later in 2008 they were found in the medical department.

2. I went to see a doctor and a psychologist,Dr. Garner who informed me that I had to see a neuropsychologist. I received a letter, but I was not playing by their rules. I went to see a clinical professor of neuropsychology at SUNY DOWNSTATE, who informed me it was against the law to use neuropsychological testing as the basis for employment and after contacting a lawyer, he was 100 percent correct. The results were submitted with SUNY'S statement of the law. Again I was informed that DR. Garner would not accept the neuropsychological testing. Now this is 2009, and it started in 2007.For those thing I was impaired; I had 2 masters, one in public health and guidance counseling.

3. If I raised my voice, I was treated like a criminal. I had a security guard watching me, but I assure while subbing in high schools in the NYCDOE and students went crazy; security guards went in the opposite direction, and after calming down; I was still treated disgracefully.

4. Now I also went to NYU, and their report wasn't accepted, so the NYCDOE would not accept any documentation of the two most prestigous neurological institutes in NYC, NYU AND SUNY DOWNSTATE.

5.Finally my last visit; I didn't cooperate.as the law says '"Don't tell, Don't ask."and it ended; I was cleared, and not allowed to teach based on the fact that Idid respond to them for sub work when called, and I told them because Iwas listed as medically unfit.

6. Now 2 years later, Ihaven't worked, no money, and no medical care, and now disabled

SO FOR THE MAN SUING THIS IS MY ADVICE, SUE THEM FOR EVERY PENNY YOU CAN, DON'T CARE OR WORRY ABOUT NOT TEACHING BECAUSE THEY ARE BIGOTS AND WILL NOT HIRE YOU
FINALLY GET RID OF THE ADA AND THE ADAA BECAUSE WHEN THEY RECEIVE NO BIG BUCKS FOR THEIR FAT SALARIES FEDERALLY FUNDED BY A LAW THEY DON'T OBEY-I ASSURE YOU THEN, THEY WILL START TO OBEY THE LAW

Last edited by a moderator:
i am a bit biased on this issue as we all are. But on the flip side of things we don't know the details of the case. if he was on meds for his epilepsy or not. If he wasn't on meds or had intractable epilepsy , it is a bit dangerous to be teaching , though with the proper precautions im sure it can be done ( and id admire him all the more for it). But expecting kids to know what to do in an emergency is a bit much ( considering he's had multiple seizures in front of them) .... if the school had someone on site to take care of it ( which i doubt given its a public school , who can barely afford books let alone decent health care) i can understand the teacher's indignation , but if the kids are the only thing between him and the hospital , he needs to find a different profession or a better funded school to teach at.

Back
Top Bottom