The Missing Period Mystery - Update

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

Last year, some where in December, I made a post regarding not having my period and fear of being pregnant, however I didn't have any sex and pregnancy tests continued to say negative, so I will put the pregnancy fear behind me.

Well, I'm still dry and this makes 4 months without a period and problems are persisting and even worse. The symptoms involved since my period stopped included nausea, dizziness, hot flashing, a constant feeling of something stuck in my throat(only occured in the morning) increase in simple partials, longer lasting in simple partial sessions(before stopped period was 15-30 minutes, now they last about an hour or longer).

For any one who doesn't know, I have Catamenial Epilepsy.

Here's an update on the symptoms as there have been changes.

Now for some new info. Back in late December, my nausea got even worse. It usually accured in the morning, but started attacking me frequently in the evening. Last week I stopped taking Folic Acid, and noticed that I have not been feeling nausous since. I'm going to take Folic Acid again next week and if I get the nausea again, at least this will solve the mystery of the nausea - which is rather strange, since I've been taking Folic Acid for almost 4 years now and has never caused a problem.

That feeling of something stuck in my throat has finially ceased! Thank goodness! That had to be the most annoying of the symptoms!

Unfortuantly, there are no decrease in Simple Partials, nor are there any changes in activity.

Hot Flashes, Hot Flashes! - OH GOD! These have been increasing, I have them everyday, usually at work(out of all places!). I am a victim of hot flashing, but they were not common. These Hot Flashes I'm having now are also genrally weak and short lived. Head aches, dizziness, and faint-feeling are accompanied with these hot flahes aswell.

Now that there are changes, does it seem that there could be new theories to what is wrong with me? Could I be menopausing at an early age(I'm 26)?

The feeling of a lump in the throat is often caused by acid reflux--a small muscle spasms in the attempt to hold down the stomach acids. I don't know of course that that is what was happening to you, but if it happens again, you might try antacids and see if that helps. You didn't mention if you had your hormone levels tested? If not, you should, to see what's going on there.

Hey Stinkpot,
Hate to tell you, but I did have a friend that started menopause at 26. Do you know when your mom started? That's usually an indicator of when you will start, not always, but most times.
You might want to see an ob/gyn.
Good Luck!
M

Have you been to a endocrinologist and had a thorough hormonal check-up; thyroid, pituitary hormone, etc? Many women with E also have hormonal problems and seeing an endocrinologist would be a best bet. I, too, had catamenial seizures and ended up going thru an early menopause, but not when I was in my 20's. It can happen. My sister had endometriosis and went thru an early menopause.

For more info, check this out:
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/wi/print_section.php?section=hormones
Reproductive endocrine disorders

As Cint said, have you been to see any dr about this. Have you told your neuro about it? I'd suggest going to a gyno. He might be able to give you a better answer and do tests to find out what's going on.

I took depo provera, the shot that you don't have a period. I also had a hysterectomy. I've had epilepsy for 10 years and haven't had a period the whole time because of doing these things so I can't give you any advice on missing periods and the other things going on.

I did see a doctor - and asked him about it, yet he "diagnosed" me with "being a paranoid person who just isn't having a period." I went there to get an ultrasound and also insisted hormone levels checked - but no, he completely ignored everything and acted like I was wrong about all of my assumptions, and ended up with a $400 medical bill just to talk with some one and a stupid pregnancy urine test.

I have a lot a of bills to pay for right now, so it'll be a few months till I can even consider on seeing a doctor. And I will only see a doctor who assures that he/she pay attention to me and give me the treatment/action I CAME THERE FOR. That will be a bit pricey!

Stinkpot, for whatever reason it sounds like your hormone levels are out of whack. As you know, estrogen spikes can cause hot flashes, and they can cause seizures too. Since you won't be able to see a doctor any time soon, consider trying an "anti-estrogenic diet" -- i.e. avoiding foods that contain estrogen or stimulate estrogen. See http://pharmacistben.com/nutrition/top-ten-foods-for-protection-from-estrogen/ and http://www.livestrong.com/article/70189-estrogenic-foods-avoid/

You should also consider adding the folic acid back in -- but as part of a B-complex with magnesium and zinc as well. Too much estrogen can to create deficiency of zinc, magnesium and the B vitamins, and a zinc deficiency can cause menstrual problems.

Very happy you posted this! I've had less time for forums, research, etc this past year plus.

But all hell broke loose again, my seizure activity increased and I know its hormone related.

I too had a gyno tell me that I was imagining the co-relation between my seizures and hormones. Of course I keep very detailed records and finally found a gyno that wasn't ignorant. My epileptologist also confirmed my theory.

I was 35 when my seizures changed/became really active and I stopped having cycles for about 2.5 years. Once the cycles restarted my body began acting like it was in early menopause.

I watch what I eat and added different vitamins to my daily pills. Almost 6 years later and I'm seeing another shift in activity. I pulled out my gyno records and will be making an appointment.

Thank you Naka and Cint for the links and everyone that posted. I'll continue to search thru the Cata E posts looking for additional info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom