The Strength of Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ho
Hi,

I am new to this site and epilepsy and full of questions. Can you tell me if you take medication? I am only asking because you said: "no strong aura like you used to have". Do seizures change as we get older? I have been told mine are focal seizures and I am on Keppra and Celexa because the Keppra makes me so depressed. I am now decreasing the Keppra because of the side effects but from what I have been reading on this site, the other medications have unpleasant side effects also. I would rather stay on the Keppra on a lower dose, deal with the breakthrough seizures and stay on the Celexa at the high dose because maybe then the breakthroughs won't happen.

What do you think?
Thank you!
Peggy
Hi Peggy
Welcome to the site
Firstly everyone is different with meds and side effects so it is best to discuss with your neuro about the meds.

Keppra is known to have depression, anger, mood issues and other similar side effects that it is nicknamed Keppra rage. I have been on Keppra for 13 years amd am one of the few who haven’t had any issues with it.

I am also on Tegretol, Zonegram for the seizures and topamax for migraines,

My understanding is the seizures can change over time.
I have focal seizures aswell.
I had brain surgery in 2011, before surgery I used to have both simple / complex partials (old name for focals) and odd tonic clonics. When I had partials I always got the same aura but didn’t always get an aura.

My seizures returned 2 years after my surgery but not as often or as bad. The auras had changed and now I pretty much have a quick feeling something isn’t right then I have the focal seizure. Sometimes I don’t get a warning now.
My seizures are changing as well which I believe could be from both the surgery and age for me.

Hi CQ,

You may be interested in the following:

High-dose riboflavin treatment is efficacious in migraine prophylaxis: an open study in a tertiary care centre - PubMed (nih.gov)

Many people are keen to try more natural approaches for preventing migraines. Magnesium, Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and Riboflavin have all been shown to help ease migraine attacks in some patients.

Brain & Spine Foundation | Migraine (brainandspine.org.uk)

Also this may interest those who develop the Keppra rage:

Does pyridoxine control behavioral symptoms in adult patients treated with levetiracetam? Case series from UAE (nih.gov)

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONTENT**

Back
Top Bottom