There are a lot of threads so excuse me if something like this has been posted before.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Topcat

Stalwart
Reaction score
Does anyone have a neurologist who also has epilepsy? Just Curious , seems to me that it would would give the Dr. a good perspective of what we go through. I think my neurologist may have gotten upset or something when I tried to explain to him that as educated and practiced etc. he is he just could not know what it is like for me.

No I personally don’t.

But there used to be a member on here, from memory he might’ve been from India?
I think he was dr or training to be a dr and had a goal to be neurologist in the future.
I haven’t seen him on here for a while.

But you’re right no matter how much training the medical professionals do they will never understand what it’s like.

But I think it’s like that with any medical condition no one will understand what it’s like unless they have the condition themselves.

For a while I saw an epilepsy nurse who actually had epilepsy. She was great:

Unfortunately, she had to defer to the neuro for some things, but she really understood about meds and side effects.

Hi Topcat,

I have never had a neuro who's had epilepsy but I've seen different neuros over the yrs. and they have
gotten upset with me when I have told them about things that trigger seizures for me (ex. hot water in shower)
Then they tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. It wasn't until I started seeing an Epileptologist who
really understood epilepsy and he agreed and understood everything that triggered seizures for me along with
how doing a DNA test on me to find the right seizure med was the best thing to do. Wishing you only the
best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Interesting thought. I don’t think any of my neurologists had epilepsy. Next time I go see my neurologist I am going to ask him 😆

I saw a neurologist for a while (through a previous insurance) whose sister had epilepsy. That was just before & shortly after I began having complex partials. I don't think any other neurologist has understood what does/can happen during seizures or medications' side effects as well as he did. The doctor I'm seeing now is good, too.

Back
Top Bottom