They took my license

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Katie

New
Reaction score
I was withdrawing from Celexa after having to stop cold turkey (pharm was out, I refill day of like a bad girl) and had a major brain/body zap. I ended up rear-ending someone. They found out I have a history of seizures and the cop said o blacked out at the wheel. I'm annoyed at this because I didn't.

I'm just really frustrated. Not being able to drive has taken a huge toll on my life to the point that I'll be taking a leave if absence from school.

I know it sucks to lose your license, but it sounds like even if you didn't black out, you weren't entirely safe behind the wheel.

Does the So Cal law have any process for getting your license back? Is it a matter of a waiting period, or do you have to get your doc to sign off as well?

6 long months seizure free and you're back. Gotta be better on the meds, then you shouldn't have the problem again as long as the meds are doing their job. One thing I found out the first time (it's only three months if you've been on the 6th month thing and you're considered controlled) they made me take the actual driving test again. Downside on that is you are in the same category as DUI, so make sure to kind of mention it was a condition not a self inflicted stupidity and they'll treat you better. My evaluator started out marking everything like I was some sort of addict. After I sort of casually mentioned it was seizure she started going on about how even pregnant can have that happen and chatted me up as opposed to marking everything.

My neuro wrote that it wasn't seizure related activity. He said it should take 6-12 weeks. I really hope it doesn't take six months.

My first seizure was while I was driving and since then they've been sort of on and off about letting me drive.

If you feel a seizure coming while driving in a busy area or high speed roads such as a highway/freeway whats the best thing to do?

My daughter has been seizure free now for nine months. We have both agreed that she should be seizure free for a year before attempting to drive. She has never had her license. She attends college, she has a job, she travels by public transportation to visit her BF. We live in Southern CA.

The consequence to having a seizure while driving is you could kill someone, or at least alter their life forever

If you do feel a seizure coming on, put on your hazard lights ,pull over to the side and stop as soon as you can. The hazard lights will let people know that something's wrong, even if you can't get over to the side, and they may give you more space.

Robin, I'm in So Cal too!

I would absolutely stop driving if I felt a seizure coming on. Put your hazard lights on and just stop. Hopefully you have time to pull over.

Had I'd had a seizure, I wouldn't mind not being able to drive. But they docked me just for having a history of JME. I've had one grand mal and it was in 2003.

Robin, I'm in So Cal too!

I would absolutely stop driving if I felt a seizure coming on. Put your hazard lights on and just stop. Hopefully you have time to pull over.

There are 2 problems with that. You may not be in a situation where you could stop immediately such as on a highway surrounded by traffic.

Also, during a seizure it is often hard to do anything. I wanted to try an acupressure point that I thought would stop my seizures. Very simple, just touch this point either on the top lip or below my pinky. I had to "forget" to do it for over a week before I could finally do something so simple.

You may feel as though it's easy for you but just try to do something as simple as look at your watch next time you have a seizure. It's harder than you think.

There's a lot more at stake when driving.

I suppose best you can do if you're on a busy road with cars going 80km/h (not sure in miles) start stopping and pull the handbrake and hit the hazard lights until you recover

The consequence to having a seizure while driving is you could kill someone, or at least alter their life forever

I've read so many threads in theforum regarding the "if" of something happening while driving. I am not saying it can't happen and it would be devastating. That being said, one can play the "if" game all day-a man was killed in Sturgis bike rally this year because he was hit by lightning going down the road - but if everyone took that as a reason not to be on the road we'd all live in fear of living. But as long as one is confident, responsible, and careful and the doc feels that you are appropriately in control or whatever, one should not live like you need to be in a bird cage. My mother is a wonderful woman (not epileptic) and is so afraid of "if''s" in her life she's done very little because of her fears, fears of things so unlikely that it would kill me to look back on my life if I were to let that "if" take over my life.

I've read so many threads in theforum regarding the "if" of something happening while driving.

I think it's more a matter of probability in that should someone have a seizure while driving there is a very high likelihood of someone getting hurt.

Using examples like that is just a way to justify putting yourself & others in danger.

I'm sorry that you believe that is a justification. As I said, it is a matter of being responsible, and careful and the doc feels that you are appropriately in control. Everyone's situation is different. Generalizations are not appropriate.

Katie,

I don't remember what kind of seizures you have. Are they simple partial only?

My 6 months is almost up, and I'll be back on the road. But given my seizure timing I don't think this made things any safer. My altered awareness seizures happen every 6-8 months or so. I'd feel safer driving the few months right after the seizure when history has shown I probably won't have one. Still, I obey the law. I hear jail is not a pretty place. And if something did happen during that period and I hurt someone I could never forgive myself.

Good luck on getting the license back. Let us know how the process goes, okay?

As I said, it is a matter of being responsible, and careful and the doc feels that you are appropriately in control. Everyone's situation is different. Generalizations are not appropriate.

I"m sorry, I didn't realize your seizures are controlled as much as they are.

You are soooo lucky!!

for the record.... my daughter rarely had a warning prior to a seizure... or one that she remembers.

Thanks Endless. I have juvenile myoclonic epilepsy 98-100% controlled on Keppra XR.

Again, had I'd had a seizure I'd have no problem being off the road. I didn't have a seizure. They took my license because of the stigma that all epileptics have grand mals. The police and paramedics TOLD me they'd never heard of JME.

But I didn't even have a seizure! My license got taken because they thought I had one and assumed I lost consciousness.

Well, that just plain stinks. I'm so sorry you have to go through this big rigamarole. I hope the government moves relatively quickly to give it back.

And I agree with you. Discrimination based on lack of knowlege isn't nice, especially when you are on the receiving end. Maybe you can take the paramedics that picked you up a big plate of cookies, and sit down and educate them. Who knows, maybe the fire dept. would let you educate all of them.

Just to put this out there, I dont think its safe to say any seizures are 100% controlled

Back
Top Bottom