They took my license

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Okay, well, I haven't had a jerk since the day I started Keppra. The first time I took it I was on for a few months with no seizures and I stopped due to anxiety. Since nothing else worked, three months ago I decided to try Keppra again. And again no seizures since the first dose.

Yeah I was on keppra from Jan-July but in June I got strange side effects, dont know if it was anxiety/depression but I missed a lot of school and so changed to Valpro.
I hope you dont get how I got on Keppra! but otherwise I think it was probably the best one I was on

I felt like Keppra made my anxiety worse. But it ended up just being me. I'm Bipolar with social anxiety so I wasn't sure if it was just me or if it was the Keppra. Since trying it again I've had no anxiety so it ended up just being me.

What is your states law about when someone has a seizure they lose their license for such amount of time. Here in Idaho you have to be 6 months seizure free.

I'm not sure. My neuro said it should take 6 to 12 weeks. Nothing about 6 months...

I hope for you your doc is right. When I was diagnosed it was 6 months to prove seizure free and controlled meds. On the breakthrough it was three months and dr sign off. In your circumstances perhaps the dr can override/intervene since you weren't even having a sz. The stigma of e is unbelivable and the amount of misunderstanding is amazing. Best of luck

Blue cat - same here had to be seizure free for 6 months controlled on meds, doctor has to sign a release if the doctor thinks you should take a reaction driving test they make you.

Thanks everyone. I think he said three months because it would be considered a breakthrough seizure? He wrote it wasn't seizure related. I hope that helps me.

for the record.... my daughter rarely had a warning prior to a seizure... or one that she remembers.

I haven't ever had my license for the same reason. I know how to drive thanks to my bf, but haven't been seizure free long enough to even apply. I just lucky Montreal has such an extensive public transport system.

My neur. told me that if I chose to drive. and was in a wreck, no matter who was at fault, that because I have E. it would automatically be my fault.

I am very lucky, in that I have deja vu, so I pull over, have the seizure and then go on my way.

isnt it still a bit dangerous that you keep driving even after the seizure? I mean does the seizure free time period not apply?

What you said, does make sense.

I was fortunate and so thankful that I didn't have a wreck and hurt someone.

Yeah I can relate, my first seizure I was with my friends and I was the driver and it was the biggest seizure I've ever had, in terms of the jerking and blacking out for quite a bit (I haven't blacked out from one since) and apparently I turned blue and then green or some random strange colour haha. Definitely didn't drive for a while after that but I recently started driving again freely and It's quite a good feeling.

The closest I came to driving was a permit after I had surgery in 2004. But my seizures came back soon after so the permit was just a sweet treat. Utah law says you have to be six months seizure free before getting behind the wheel. But we can drive motorcycles all we want! That is my favorite stupid law.
*edit, note that I'm scared to touch a motorcycle but that doesn't stop me from remembering that law

I was in the ER one night for dislocating my thumb and fell asleep because it was taking so long. The Physician's Assistant woke me up too fast and I had a seizure.

Three months later I get a letter that my license is suspended and I can get it back in three more months, because it is a sixth month suspension. So get this, they let me drive the first three months of my sixth month suspension because the state office was so slow processing it. What is even the point of the suspension?

I got a letter from my doctor saying my seizures were only when I was asleep or coming out of sleep and I should be allowed to drive and that I'm not a risk. Went to court and the judge told me tough shit and she didn't care. Because, you know, I might be asleep while driving and have a seizure. Other people aren't at danger if they fall asleep at the wheel. But I am, because I might have a seizure after I fall asleep at the wheel.

And I said fuck all this and continued driving all last year. Got pulled over once, cop let me go because I wasn't a DUI suspension. It took 2 months to get an appointment with the license reinstatement guy so it was more like an 8 month suspension, even though they tell you 6. State got to rape my wallet though, which is what they really were after.

I've known multiple people to have heart attacks while driving and faint at the wheel, crashing into trees and other cars. Not once have any of them had their license suspended.

Back
Top Bottom