This is new to me, something different happened

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Lastnight something new happened I've never experienced before & it was weird. Everyone knows what it like when your ears have been plugged up an suddenly everything becomes loud cause your ears just came unplugged. Well this was like that only everything was normal when suddenly something someone was saying started sounding like nonsense, becoming less coherent, like it was them & becoming more jumbled, lasting about 20 seconds. Just like your ears coming unplugged and being able to hear better, as if someone turned up the volume.

Then it started becoming normal and after I went to bed last night after I started to relax, my fingers were twitching. This happen to anyone else?

This sounds to me like an aura, I've been getting them for 34 years.
Words that are spoken to you don't make any sense and if trying to read ~ all the words are jumbled, you're aware of your surroundings but you are unable to communicate or respond normally. This usually lasts about 10 seconds or so, then things slowly start getting back to normal and you have a wicked headache for the rest of the day.

This usually indicates that your meds. are working cuz if they weren't, you'd have a full blown grand-mal seizure.

At least that how it is for me over the past 34 years.

Make a note of what happened -- it may well be an aura, but it's hard to know unless it happens again. You might want to try taking a magnesium supplement if you don't already -- it might help with strange sounds as well as with the twitching. Magnesium helps to regulate the hair cells in the ear that process sound. If you have low magnesium that can cause an imbalance of electrolytes in these hair cells, which can in turn produce a signal to the brain of a sound -- even when no sound is actually occurring.

I wonder if the cold I had messed up my head and I had an aura? I've had side effects from illnesses I get, I get sick with one thing, it develops into other things. Like a snowball effect.

Illness and infection can lower the seizure threshold, so you may be right that your cold brought on your aura. Hope you're feeling better.

AngelwithDentedHalo,

Are you taking any over the counter meds such as Cough syrup, Nyquil, Advil, etc.
Most cold and flu remedies contain "Antihistimine" and has a very negative effect with AED meds.
This can trigger break through seizures and/or auras, and in some cases it can be fatal.
Always check with your Dr. or Pharmasist before taking any OTC meds.
Randy

Wow, didn't know that. I was taking Nyquil for my cold but haven't for about 5 days now. I take allergy meds at night cause I have asthma and it helps me breathe better in addition to my inhalers.

Thanks Nakamova, I do feel better

Things sound different to me when I have a simple partial seizure (aura). It's hard to describe the change, but it's almost like things get louder and slower, but also hollow sounding. It's weird.

I went to my doctor today and told him about the aura's I've been having and being I have brain atrophy, he said that that's most likely the cause of my aura's cause it can be a complication of brain atrophy. He didn't say anything about Magnesium though. He's my regular doctor and I will be asking my Neurologist about it next time I see him.

I know what you mean. I've had this happen before and (what I think) was a partial seizure developed immediately after. I had the headache and was on the couch for several hours before I kept studying for exams!

Back
Top Bottom