Throwing up blood (postictal)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

The past three seizures I've had, during my postictal state, I have had a sour stomach followed by throwing up, and the latest, it was pretty much all blood that came out (I should note that there were no signs of a bitten tongue). In a previous post of mine, an aura I've been having recently is the strong scent of blood.

Not sure if this could just be an ulcer or something, but has anyone had this happen to them in their postictal state before?

Last edited:
Not sure if this could just be an ulcer or something, but has anyone had this happen to them in their postictal state before?

I've never had this happen, but it does sound like an ulcer. Please see you GP before it gets any worse. It could be from the AED.

Hi skyfire,
Twice I have woken up with a lot of blood coming up my throat. It was before being diagnosed with epilepsy, so I am still not sure if it’s relevant. But it definitely was not a vomit, it was only blood and iit was warm. Are you sure yours is a vomit?

The paramedics were able to tell in a second, by checking the colour of the blood, that it wasn’t coming from the stomach or lungs because it was not dark and there were no clots. It was “clear” red, like blood coming from an external wound, and this excludes ulcers et.c. In the hospital they didn’t run many tests, just said it must be coming from the throat, something similar to having a nosebleed. They didn’t find any injury of the tongue or gums. I never checked this thing further.

The first time I was hospitalized after a seizure, when they checked my history, a neurologist insisted that this past incidents were not irrelevant, but I can’t remember why. Maybe he thought I had injured my tongue in a seizure and the ER doctors missed it.

I don’t think it’s the same with what you describe. In any case, I believe you should see a doctor as soon as possible to check where the blood is coming from. In my understanding, this makes a big difference. And of course in order to understand why. Things happening to us without any explanation is so frustrating!

Well, during my first seizure last night, a lot of bile came up and out. When I was throwing up the second time, I was spitting out blood (tasted like it).

I have a neurologist appointment and a GP appointment on Tuesday, so I will follow up with them to see whats going on.

Thanks for the responses!

Well, during my first seizure last night, a lot of bile came up and out. When I was throwing up the second time, I was spitting out blood (tasted like it).

I have a neurologist appointment and a GP appointment on Tuesday, so I will follow up with them to see whats going on.

Thanks for the responses!

Hi skyfire,

I used to cough up blood in my 20's and still fetch blood up now and mines bleeding of the lungs through bronchitis and COPD....so it sounds like there's an underlining reason for it and I hope they can find out the course.

Back
Top Bottom