Tired? Sleepy?...How do you get you get your fix?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jun

New
Reaction score
I know everyone reacts differently to medication, but i think one of the popular side effects that AED’s do is make us sleepy/tired/sluggish.

That said, im just curious how everyone battles to stay alert.
Or do some of you just suck it up and deal with these side effects?

Heading into my mid 30s...which i know is still young, im just feeling more tired and sluggish and not having the energy that i knew i once had when i was you ger, even though my meds have generally stayed the same over the years.

I tend to stay on the safe side...so no coffee, get the recommended amount of sleep, no alcohol, eatging as well as i can...but even with this, i dont know what kind of changes i can do to boost my energy level without feeling too excited to the point where i feel like i might have a seizure.

Any opinions would be great!

Many thanks!

Yes, I am very tired often and I'm 26. Without caffeine it is hard to find a way to stay alert with these meds. To wake up immediately I would say sugar does the trick. It'll backlash and make you even more tired later tho. For me, I exercise to wake up in the morning, some quick 5 minutes of intense cycling wakes me up fairly well, I have a stationary bicycle at home so maybe some other workout routine for you. A short VERY cold shower usually wakes me up. I'm a man, so masturbating wakes me up too, without finishing (cumming), I mentioned my gender because idk if women will be helped by this, and finishing makes you even more tired. Idk why but a hearty breakfast usually wakes me up. Don't do it often, but a few quick glares at the sun or bright lights. Definitely get a good night's sleep, without it I am even more tired.

Maybe some fairly loud music, I haven't tested it, I'm just thinking.

Hi Jun,

I've always battled out the sleepy feeling I get with the seizure meds and within time it goes away. There has been a few times when I felt really tired
and it just didn't stop so my Dr. did a blood test on me and found out I was anemic then I started taking folic acid 1 mg. a day and that helped me out a lot.
If I may ask have you ever had a sleep study done? Often I would wake up in the morning exhausted it was then that my neuro did a sleep study on me along with an e.e.g.
and found out I was having seizures in my sleep and this is why I was so tired. You may want to check that out with your Dr. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Along with what Sue says, you may want to have your doc test your blood for other deficiencies, such as Vitamin D. I take B12 and also a D supplement -- being deficient in those can make you tired.

I do drink coffee, and tea as well. Caffeine -- at least in modest amounts -- doesn't seem to be a trigger for me. Taking a walk outside once a day also helps perk me up.

Everyone's energy levels tend to fall in the afternoon, between roughly 1pm and 4pm, so you might experiment with exercising after lunch or taking a mini-siesta (about 10 minutes) to see if you feel more refreshed later in the day.

I got part of knackerd body going with b12 injection.for those under NhS IT GOT BE BELOW 120 unfortunately most docs do full folics this is wrong you need b12 only blood test full folics will most likely show high over all reading cos they including folic acid and other b vitamins.the chance of you getting solely the b12 are remote.plus nhs have changed parimiters.20 years ago I would got b12 injections not now.it got be way down but you can get b12 injections yourself and give them to yourself as I do.iN UK YOU CAN GET A BLODD test done at St thommie kings or guys TOP HOSTPITALs but it costs nearly £200 HUNDRED QUID.anyone want more info just pm me.They do every gamit of vit test plus a few things that effect heart again things not done in uk.Reams of results about 4 page of results can show gp but doubt he give jot
You are told before hand what can cause b12 problems and yes some E drugs will do it and certainly drugs controlling diabetic class 2.lots other things can aswell it not precise thing some people don't.get low b12.
I found it do help you just got find level of your needs.you can inject yourself daily no side effects just spots again that arbitarty.The nhs will proberly say one injection 3monthly others weekly depends what you happy with.....The amps come from Germany and same as you get nhs.In America you can buy them from pharmacy most countries you can just in uk apparently we stupid.It all hot potato here.I suggest you got to parnisial anemia sight very helpful and for brits it big eye opener...All I can say it has had an effect for good.you got plod away with it.
I have found Karva helpful at night but again brits are to stupid to know.It illegal here and only certain states can you buy it again Oragen they have a brain but Washington they do not.kARVA has been used for thousands of years in pacific islands but white man came along and told them there national drink of welcolm is bad for them and trying to ban it.Kava helps you have good nights sleep and is perfectly safe although they say not good on liver no worse than a panadol.Go to karva site you get alt of help.The last karva tea I got was picked up by indian customs.The most you get in uk is slap on wrist and a fine.The other thing is lettuce tea grows everywhere as a weed again you will find it hard to get in uk unless you grow it not illegal but you find dry leaves made into tea illegal.IT GREY area it helps me..has pain power of morphine but unaddictive

Been used hundreds of years but apparently brits are far to stupid to use it.just to deviate I just gone into chemist to cash arthritis medication naproxen that similar to ibrofin but works just been told it illegal.They think brexit maybe reason.SO FELLOW BRITS we a nation of idiots unable to make our own decision.My cloberzam is also being looked into as that too is thought to cause problems..The only problems for me is seziour threshold lower when in pain or my medication for epilepsy stopped a hospital bed will be waiting for us.I trying hard to work out who suffering from total twatness the public or government.Fellow brits many medications will be stopped or already stopped it being done in very sneaky way.I was not brexit but now will be suffering for people who are

Great topic, Like so many others I deal with this daily. I take naps if I wake up too early and feel double whammy of not enough sleep plus druggy from medication. I don't drive or I would go somewhere. I take Uber periodically and the city bus to get places different than my own home. This week the beginning of the year 2019 I decided to make some new goals to make my life more positive. Wish me luck!!

This week the beginning of the year 2019 I decided to make some new goals to make my life more positive. Wish me luck!!
I read recently that taking small steps and following a plan can make it easier to reach your goals. Good luck!

caffiene and comfort food, a turkey club can go a long way

Great topic, Like so many others I deal with this daily. I take naps if I wake up too early and feel double whammy of not enough sleep plus druggy from medication. I don't drive or I would go somewhere. I take Uber periodically and the city bus to get places different than my own home. This week the beginning of the year 2019 I decided to make some new goals to make my life more positive. Wish me luck!!

Be careful with Uber 300women been attacked.what goals give me some ideas.Do you live in uk because I took myself to youth hoste it was great 15quid a night clean all amenities went for long walk along Thames some good markets.but that for me I just get lost in city it great fun.If I did.t do random things out of my comfort zone I rot to death..I know only to well the tiredness and going mad if see wall of walls everyday makes you tireder than before.i love dance going to ballet husband no come so learnt how to do things on my own

I generally tend to sleep the sluggishness off because I come out of it more alert - I'm like a zombie when I have just woken up and usually walk into walls and stuff before I have become aware of my surroundings. I luckily have a 1.5 hour commute to work on the bus so if I am feeling more tired than usual I'll crash out for the trip (I have a weird ability to wake up on approach to my bus stop every time because I can sense the bus taking the right turn on the lead up to it)

That generally works for me.

When I'm firefighting though, I only sleep during the downtime when it pops up as do most of us. Night shifts leave me incredibly alert though and the medication side effects dont impact me.

I've become so used to all these meds that their "drowsiness" side effect doesn't affect me anymore. In fact, I sometime have trouble sleeping & need to take medicine to do that.

Back
Top Bottom