To Those with memory loss,

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
Do you have family members that treat you like you have Alzheimer's because you have a memory problem? There is one member of my family that is bad to not let me finish talking before they jump in and start talking and trying to correct me when there wasn't anything to correct yet because I hadn't finished. This person is treating me like I don't know what I'm talking about. But, if they would just listen first and let me finish talking then they would know I'm not as bad as they think I am. Then if I need correcting, fine but give me a chance to finish first. This same person if they don't remember something I tell them, they treat me like I don't know what I'm talking about but what it boils down to is they have a memory problem also but won't admit it. It's like because I can't remember some things they don't believe anything I say. Another issue is, one family member before she starts to tell me something she thinks I should already know, she will start every sentence with, "You probably don't remember this......" My doctor has said that my memory problem is normal for people with epilepsy but by the way some of my family members treat me you would think I am an Alzheimer patient. They don't give me a chance to see if I remember it or not they just assume I don't remember anything! Does any of your family treat you this way or similar? It hurts and it gets so old!

My wife has the exact same issue at times. Since she's been on Depakote it started happening more frequently, but has died down now that she's been on it for a few weeks.

Many times it can be the combo of the meds and seizures, or one or the other. Most really don't know which.

I don't really know what to tell you about your family, but I'm glad you shared this. I'll make it point to remember to be patient with my wife if the memory problems arise again. Sometimes as a person looking in, it's hard to know how to treat her at times. Seeing posts like this help me to better understand how she feels.

1000 mg. fish oil capsules help the memory. And trust me, I know what it's like to have people treat you like you can't remember a a thing...especially if you have to remind them of things. :)

You know what's ironic about everything, and I find it rather entertaining although my wife doesn't.

I'm perfectly healthy (apart from my recent anxiety bits) and my short term memory is horrific. I routinely misplace my smokes, my keys, my hat, you name it, I can forget it. I don't know how I've remember to remind Tera to take her meds every day. She routinely get's on me about my memory. I can remember things that are important to me such as facts and stuff about history, but when it comes to the simplest things I'm a dunce.

It's almost like sweet justice when I can get one on in her now with her new found short term memory issues.

I don't wish E on anyone, but you have to find the humor when you can.

Its the opposite problem for me. My work is very heavy on paperwork, and i need to remember so much stuff! If i'd started this work a year or two ago, it would all be stuck in my brain by now.

My boss and workmates get kind of annoyed when i forget stuff that i should have done, but i think they're sort of realising what i'm like now!

for me its a friend. He often will speak for me. I know he don't mean for it to be a bad thing but I do wish he'd let me speak for myself first then if i forget or somethng can chime in but i'd like to try to speak for myself first

I don't have E, but I still find it irritating when people finish my sentences. Half the time it isn't what I intended to say in the first place. I think it is a bad habit some people have, and they need to be reminded that it is rude. I may not think as fast as a NYer, I have a CA brain. But it is a thoughtful brain, and not one that just rushes through my thoughts.
So I am working on ways to say.... "Stop, please let me finish. That was not what I intended to say. If you would just be patient, and allow me to finish, we can carry on this conversation. If you want to answer for me, then carry on without me."

.... so there!

HA

When people do that for me, especially time and time again, I just turn around and simply say, "You know, I AM capable of talking for myself, thank you VERY MUCH. Now be quiet."

*sigh*

I guess I'm just not really polite...

People feel that they can attribute stuff like errors to me at work. (They are so horrible at times.) They think they are doing me favors. I have had to challenge them by showing them the paper work associated with the documents I am responsible for, and they think I have a problem.
I approached the (idiot) boss about this and it was brought up in a meeting, along with other things these people are doing. My problem is this phony little zealot, who is convinced that all she has to do is prove that she is more popular than me because she wears more makeup, perfume, and ugly skimpy 'clothes'. All I can do is be a genuine person, and let the chips lie where they fall. I am trying to move to another department. But in the meantime...

I don't have E, but I still find it irritating when people finish my sentences.
I have to admit, I'm guilty of doing this with my wife, and it drives her insane! :paperbag:
I get why it bothers her, and I have no clue why I do it. I'm working hard to try and stop but verbal habits are a bugger to break. For the longest time I said "ummm" instead of pausing until my thought/word continued. I broke that habit but it took forever. Now I found myself doing it again! Very frustrating.

With Keppra and Vytorin, I get the double whammy on memory loss. It drives me insane. My wife gets a little irritated bout it at times, but she's gotten more patient because she knows its the meds contributing to it.

I definetly have short term memory problems I have pens, pencils, notepads, different notebooks and folders all around me. If I don't write it down word for word as I am being told then I can't even remember 1/4 of what I was told most of the time anyway. I have a dry erase board in my kitchen and a post board. and I still can't remember because I can't remember where I put the notes.

Luckily I don't get treated by my family like I am a ??? sometimes though my husband will tell me yes I told you that or no you didn't tell me that when I am almost positive that I did. Nevernow he could be right.

I, too, have short term memory loss, and have to write things down. I also suffer from aphasia and sometimes have a hard time finding the right word to describe what I'm really trying to say. My ex couldn't understand, even said it was unbelievable that I could not remember certain things, yet he would ask me at times where did he leave his keys, wallet, etc. What an a**!!

"One of the keys to happiness is a real bad memory." ~ Rita Mae Brown

:)

With me I always forget things. Usually it's something that I'm talking about, (tonight I was going to tell my husband about my daughters therapist forgetting to drop her off at an appt. and how it really annoyned me,) and then seconds later I forget because I need to do something else, like lock the door on my way out.

I always find a way to tell the people, whoever they may be, that I'm perfectly capable of remembering things and if they would just stop trying to remind me or interrupt me while I'm talking maybe I could remember it better so that I won't forget what I was talking about before they innterupted me. Short and simple and right to the point is how I have explained it before, even if it does sound sarcastic it's always the truth and they need to know, whoever they may be.

I too, can have a really hard time finding the right words to describe what I am trying to say. It can be really frustrating at times, It's like I know exactly what I want say but the words I use aren't the right ones. Cindy, I have not heard of aphasia before I will do some reading up on this. My husband can also be asking me alot of times where is this or where is that. Where did you put it. Well most of the time it is where he put it not me. and if he would put things back where I want them kept and I can mostly remember where it is then he would know where they were.

Oh boy- can I relate to almost all of this. But, my biggest problem is that everyone still expects me to function at full capacity. Ummm, sorry I just don't have it anymore. I can't remember what you just asked me to do and please DO NOT interrupt me while I'm trying to do something. As soon as I get distracted, I totally forget what I'm doing. My sister was talking to me tonite while I was making dinner. It took me about 3 times as long to make it because I kept forgetting what I was gonna do. I keep telling everyone to "write it down on the dry erase board". Then if I forget it, it's MY fault for not looking. If you don't write it down, it's YOUR fault that it doesn't get done.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom