To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I agree with Jake. Most people don't notice my bracelet. Or if they do, they don't ask, unless they really know me. If they do, they know my condition. I don't really mind giving people information, it helps create awareness.

Don't worry. It's just a security blanket!

I just ordered an inexpensive one from here for my daughter: https://www.vitalid.com/product-category/medical-id/

It was inexpensive (about $22 including taxes and shipping) and should cover her on the rare occasions that hubby and i aren't with her, or if she goes to preschool this fall etc etc

You always think you will be able to tell people about it if there is a problem but if you are in a car accident together and knocked out or seriously injured, there will be no one to speak for her (she's 3)

I was a pagan camp all weekend so the phone no's in my braclet were useless.

So I had magic purple sharpie with the names and mobiles of the fiends I was camping with so the could be rung or called over the PA, writ LARGE on my arms. Not subtle but really useful if we had got speeerated and pagans can get away with doing weird things in a field.

Q

I got a bracelet from Ice Gems, these are a little more modern.
At a glance they just look like jewelry. Then if you are ill the paramedics automatically look for them. X

I would also say that my bracelet has saved my life once when I was ill because no one knew what was wrong with me, they thought I was passed out.
So it is worthwhile in my opinoon

I just ordered one of the "Vital ID" velcro type bracelets today from Amazon. I hadn't really thought about it before, but even at work my co-workers won't know who to call or what I'm taking if something happens. Just seems like a good idea now...

I've bought one that you can write the details on a panel inside the band. I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting to find out about my ongoing medication.

I've thought about this over the years. It seems to me that if I was in an accident and unable to communicate that I would at least want the medical folk to know the meds I'm on, so that they can keep pushing them into me every day - also so that I'm not given any treatment that is incompatible with the meds I'm on.

Thank you. This thread has really inspired me to get one. Y'know just for safety n'stuff .

What's the use in medical alert? there never looked at by the paramedics.

I have medic alert necklace and I once ask a paramedic why they didn't look at mine they said because I came out of my seizures so fast.

Belinda

I wear one...the main reason is so that if/when I am taken to the hospital they know NOT to put me in an MRI machine (VNS), to call the MedAlert people ASAP because I can't always remember exactly what meds I am taking, my phone number, *anything*. Can't fit it ALL on the bracelet, but they can have it all at the MedAlert office! Better safe than sorry! :e:

traveling

For years I only wore a necklace and I didn't even wear that all of the time. Sz are controlled, but you never know when something could break through.

Anyhow, I started to travel out of the country for work. My wife got me a bracelet so that it would be much more visible. She had the smart idea of printing it in Spanish and English with specific contact information to my company's foreign location.

I had been very good about wearing it, but got lazy lately. Time to get it back on and keep it on.

I used to wear a bracelet. But it would always get caught on my clothes. So I switched to wearing a necklace.

The 13th of this month I had a complex partial/ tonic clonic seizure which took 40 minutes to pull out of. I was wondering the halls of the apartment building I live at, went in my neighbors apartment, wet my pants, talked all kinds of jibberish. Thank God for my braclet. All it has is my full name, stroke and epilepsy on it. So others were aware before paramedics got there. Thankfully my daughter just happened to drop by too. I will ALWAYS wear one!

next time i travel, will purchase a nice one. or get a tat

They are all too small or have a hideous design. I can not find one i would wear... ?? I want to though i really do.

Back
Top Bottom