To Wear or Not to Wear~Medical Bracelets

Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CJR

New
Reaction score
As most of you know my 10 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with Epilepsy. I was going to ask her Neurologist if she should wear a medical bracelet but we are STILL waiting to meet her Neurologist! So I thought I'd pose the question to those of you who have experience with E. Do you wear a Medical Bracelet/ID or do you choose not to? And Why? Did age play a role in your decision? Thanks!

Been wearing one for decades.

But mine's worn on my right ankle, in view,
but out of the Medics, Nurses, and Doctor's
way!

My seizures are pretty mild & most people don't usually notice them so I didn't feel it was worth "labeling" myself, especially in high school.

It was only recently as an adult when I came out of a seizure in the middle of an intersection & couldn't tell what colour the light was that I decided it might be a good idea.

Kater has been wearing one since she was diagnosised when she was 4 years old, so that ppl would be aware of her having epilepsy and my number was right there in case needed. She wasn't too happy at the time. In the 4 years since she has gotten a lot better, but still will ask occasionally "Can I EVER take this thing off?" like it weighs 10 pounds and is a major issue with her everyday life.

Actually, I just started wearing one religiously this year (I'm in my 30's). I have grand mals, and probably should have been wearing one, but let's face it, they aren't exactly beautiful. However, since I started wearing one, I've noticed that the paramedics haven't even bothered to look at it. So, go figure. Makes me wonder why I spent the money sometimes.....

I purchased the medical bracelet that opens. Inside it holds a small sheet of paper with all the info on it. I figured that she would most likely have many med changes and I didn't feel like getting engraving done everytime.

Hubby and I were having a difference of opinion regarding the Medical bracelets. I thought that she SHOULD wear one at school because there are so many people around that may not yet be aware that she has Epilepsy. Also, because she is an active child I may not always be with her. The bracelet (theoretically) and the information inside will help others know what to do and how to contact me. Hubby feels that (like epileric) that it would label her at school. He worries about how she will feel if her bracelet gets unnecessary or unwanted attention.

In the end though I felt that taking one more precaution to ensure her safety was more important than any irritation it might cause. However I was unable to find a bracelet small enough so I ended up taking off the "chain" and replacing it with a pretty beaded section. Today, is her first day with it on at school.

Hey CJR! I have one of those! (the kind that open) I got it because if I wanted to, I could take off the elastic wrist band and wear it on my shoelaces. :) But mine is extra sturdy plastic. Actually, from a distance, it looks more like a watch. Try checking out a company called iD on Me.

Checked out the site and they are really cool! Thanks for the heads up.:rock:

Hi,

I wear one too. I have for years. I got it for anisocoria, my pupils are unevenly dilated - a scar from a head injury I had in 1979. I didn't develop Epilepsy until 2005 and had it added to my bracelet. I noticed that emergency personnel don't look at it, but that might be because I am conscious and can tell them. If I was unconcious maybe they look, I don't know.... My new neurologist looked at it when he was first examining me. I figure as much info as possible is good.

In terms of it being ugly, yes, but very few people comment on it. If they do, I tell them, I figure that they can learn something.

I had epilepsy as a baby but my seizures stopped when I was 2 1/2 (my parents were told I'd outgrown the epilepsy) and after 22 years I started taking seizures again.

I got my Medic-Alert bracelet from the Australian Medic Alert foundation just after I started taking seizures again. If anyone saw my bracelet it says Medic Alert & could be for any illness, alergy or medical condition, inside the bracelet it says I have epilepsy, the medic-alert foundations phone number & my registration number. I also have a card which I keep in my purse, it has my details, my parents contact details, my neuros details & what meds I'm on.

I usualy only take mild seizures now & I think someone might not realise I was having one of my mild seizures unless I had a seizure in front of my parents or one of my friends who know what to look out for.

In February this year I did have a bad seizure while I was walking down the street & ended up in hospital. I have no memory of the seizure & lost 3 hours of the day. I didn't have my purse with me that day so I had no I.D on me but luckily I had my Medic-alert bracelet on so the hospital had to ring the medic alert foundation to find out who I was & get my parents contact details to let them know that I had a seizure. If I didn't have my medic alert bracelet or have it on that day who knows how long it would've been before the hospital would've been able to let my parents know?

Last edited:
[I do have medic alert braclert. i wear it every day. i did have one that opens with paper in it, but paper kept falling out so i do not have that anymore. The one i have has my name, my adress, my town, epilepsy, and doctors name on it. I do carry a list of meds on me. i also carry a list of phone numbers on me. They do have a Medical Flash Drive, which is to do with computer, it look just like a usb drive, you can have a medic alert sign on it, it attach to any part of clothing or keys.
You type in your meds, you type in all your information, and you type in contact people. ems and er can see this and use this on there computers but only see list of meds and contact people, all other information is for you only. You can change meds list as your amount of meds change. you can go to Medline plus to look over this.
nana

Last edited:
Medical blacelets.

I have worn my medicalert for over twenty years. It has saved my life several times. They are very handy to have.

I don't wear one right now, but I need to get one. My Seizures seem to happen to me whenever they want to, and I don't carry anything else on me that tells of my Epilepsy.

:rock:I love mine. It's a life saver.:woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had ordered...

...a bracelet (quite expensive) and broke out in the most terrible rash. I briefly considered a necklace but reasoned I'd have the same reaction. I carry a medical ID card in my wallet. For now that's the best I can do. Any other suggestions?
Always - Laurie

Hi Laurie! Try checking out a company called iD on Me. It's good for if you want a casual style bracelet. Mine is usually mistaken for a watch.

You can also try painting the bracelet with a few coats of clear nail polish though you might have to re-paint it every so often.

I know you can also get bracelets & necklaces of sterling silver.

Skillefer - Will check it out. My other bracelet was pretty attactive, too. Always - Laurie
Epileric - Mine was sterling silver!

I used to wear one but it was of no use to me. I had a couple of incidents and noone even cared to look. I had a necklace one for a while and then one on my wrist for a while. Nobody even cared to look. No use to me.

Back
Top Bottom