Today is my first day trying a generic seizure medication!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momof3boys

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
I was alittle nervous this morning...

Today I started taking Generic Keppra XR. This is my first time in my life Im trying a generic seizure medication. When I was little, my pediatric neurologist always told my parents to keep me on the brand name medications, as he thought they would be best. Now bwing 31 years old, this is my first time trying a generic!

I was prescribed the 750mg tablets, where as before, I was taking the 500mg tablets of the name brand. So this morning I took my first dose of the generic keppra xr. I havnt felt any different since taking it. I take another dose tonight at around 8:30. Just praying this works! If it does, this will save us a ton of money! Compared to paying $150 for six months of the name brand, we pair $35 for a six month supple of the generic keppra xr!

Has anyone had any bad or good experieces with generic seizure medications?

I had no problem making the switch from brand Lamictal to generic. I didn't notice any difference. Hope the same goes for you!

I changed to generic ER 2 months ago - no problem so far- GL, Sturg

I'm on Tegretol XR. And have been on it since it came out in the XR form. I was so excieted when it came out in generic and of course the pharmacist gave it too me. I took it for 4 days and had an aura so I went back to the name brand. My neurolgist had always told me that I should always take the name brand also as it was the purest form of the drug. I thought that was the drug company talking through her. I guess she was right. I wish you luck and hope it works for you.

Thanks everyone! Im so praying the generic works for me! I dont know how long it would take to see signs of the generic not working, but tonight will be my second dose of the generic.

Nakamova... that gives me hope that the generic works for you, after switching from the name brand, it will work for me too! :)

Think positive! I hope you feel fine on it.

Im feeling ok so far... going to start my second day of it today... Just going to think positive! :)

I used generic Tegretol first. It worked as far as seizure control, the side effects were undesirable. I have been on generic Lamictal since August. One seizure, but almost 0 side effects.

Thats great news changingbird... as for the lamictal working and having 0 side effects! This is my first time trying a generic seizure medication, so Im causiously looking for any "new signs" that may come up. So far, Ive been feeling pretty good!

Good luck!

I switched from brand Tegretol XR to Carbamazepine XR about 2 and a half years ago. It saved my husband and I hundreds of dollars!

Kristin,
Hope the generic Keppra works for you.
My friend is on Keppra, she was taking the name brand but she has been taking the genric brand & found she hasn't had any problems with the generic.

I went to get my Keppra script refilled on Wednesday & when I went to pick up my script the chemist gave me generic brand as they did have any name brand in stock.
I've only ever taken the name brand Epilepsy Meds so I asked the chemist to see if they can get the brand name in & I'd pick it up on Monday.

Thanks CQ! I hope it works for me too!

There was talk last year about trying the generic, but I backed out because of what the nurse said.. the possibilities of getting less or more in a generic. But since Ive been doing well on just the Keppra since May 2011, I thought Id give it a try.

I've been on lots of different seizure meds, and eventually changed to generics for all of them. The only difference I ever noticed was the price! One of the meds I take, Vimpat, is still too new on the market to have a generic. It cost $50.00 and the others are only $10.00.

I haven't noticed a difference. I have taken both generic and brand of everything I've ever tried, and effectiveness all seems to be about the same in my case. I was warned against generic also for side effects--I was told sometimes side effects are worse on generic. But I've never had this issue.

One thing my neurologist told me is that if I want to take generic, if I find myself going through a time where seizure control is not as good, to check the label and see which company is producing that particular generic version. She said if you make a note of the ones that don't work as well, you can tell your pharmacist that you can't take pills from those companies, and they will either give you something different, or if they have no other generic, they will give you the name brand. I haven't tried this myself, since I haven't encountered any generic issues. But if you encounter them, you might ask your pharmacist about it.

I've been on lots of different seizure meds, and eventually changed to generics for all of them. The only difference I ever noticed was the price! One of the meds I take, Vimpat, is still too new on the market to have a generic. It cost $50.00 and the others are only $10.00.

Yeah I agree, taking the generic is worth it price wise! I tried Vimpat last year and I think if I remember right, I got it for $10, but it was only a month's worth.

Glad the generic is working for you! I honestly can't tell a difference.

Im glad its working so well! I was so nervous that it was going to cause something bad to come about! I cant tell a difference either! :banana:

I did not know they make the XR in Gen. Do u think the XRS are better then the regualars

mike80219, The generic name for Keppra XR is Levetiracetam ER. I take 3 500 MG pills. Each day at 7pm. The generic pills I get are smaller & rounded but it all depends where the generic is made. CVS price for brand only Keppra XR was over $1000 for a 90 day supply so I changed to the generic which costs me $16 for a 90 day supply. Crazy, but shofar so good, Sturg

Back
Top Bottom