Topamax Side Effect

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

resaebiunne

Stalwart
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't want to say exactly WHAT the side effect was in the topic in case anyone is squeamish.

The topic is impotence.

I started topamax about 4 days ago at 100mg/day starter dose (ramping to 200mg/day per my doctors instructions). Immediately I noticed this side effect. Now, not a huge deal, I don't have a girlfriend to please or anything, but y'know, it's there, right, lol. Will it go away in time? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks.

I've taken the generic "topiramate". I didn't have many noticeable side effects, except memory loss. Idk if this will help but still.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi resaebiunne,

While I was on Topamax the drug increased my seizures like crazy after being on it for about 1 month. I had so many seizures my Dr. took me off the med and put me on vimpat instead and I found that works much better for me. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm a woman and I'm not taking Topamax but sometimes it takes a little while for you're body to get used to a med and see what side effects stay and which ones go away. If this one doesn't then I'd talk to your neuro about it and ask to be put on another med.

I took it and it just made me meaner than a snake. Worst than Keppra.

It actually happens to be one of those drugs that can cause a lowered libido. It was weird because the first time I was on it it had this effect, but the second time it did not. I was not on it as long the second time though, once we realized topimax and topimirate was the same thing and I had other issues with it.... so basically it might not change while your on it. But it also could? There's always a messy side to dealing with drugs for the brain... this just happens to be a common enough one from my understanding. (With many kinds of drugs for the brain, not just seizures)

Most AEDs can affect your libido from what I can tell, & I've been on at least one for the last 30 years. Currently, I know mine is near zero thanks to Topamax and Vimpat.

Yeap, stinks. It's too soon to tell if the effects will wear off though, that'll take a few months, literally.

I was on Topamirate for my migraines. If anything, I was horribly stupid. I would walk into a room and forget why I was there (standing in front of the toilet should be clue), I forgot 1/2 the dictionary of words and verbs and would stand or sit for three or four minutes, blanking out. I forgot how to do a job I had done, at the time, for 18 years.

No sexual side effects that I could tell but I’m on four bp meds and one for cholesterol.

I hope you find out the cause.

Topamax is also known as "Dopamax". I've been on it since shortly after it (the name brand) came out. There are so many times that I suffer from word-loss. I will know what I want to say--I can actually see what I need to say in my mind, as if it's written on paper, but my mouth & brain can't connect. This is especially frustrating during conversations.

I'm female, but I've been on Topamax for many years and have never noticed any sexual side effects.

I'm female, too. Unfortunately Topamax does affect me in that way. It also makes me very uncomfortable there no matter what I do.

Hi just noticed this thread
I am 90% sure that most of my occasional illnesses come from topomax
I had twitching in my face, feeling light headed nearly every day, forgetfulness, world loss.
I have been on these tablets for 12 year and as I got older I became more aware of the side effects
Does anyone else get this ? X

Hi. I'm currently taking 400mg Topamax along w/300mg Zonisamide. I still get breakthrough simple and complex partials--1 to 3/month. Topamax /Topiramate is known for short term memory loss & "word loss" issues. There are often times when I know what I want to say--I can even "see" the words in my mind as if they're on paper, but my mind & mouth can't connect! It's been dubbed "Dopamax".

Hi just noticed this thread
I am 90% sure that most of my occasional illnesses come from topomax
I had twitching in my face, feeling light headed nearly every day, forgetfulness, world loss.
I have been on these tablets for 12 year and as I got older I became more aware of the side effects
Does anyone else get this ? X

Oh yeah. I was on it for 17 years, or thereabouts. Felt sooo much better when I stopped taking it. Of course, now I'm on Gabapentin and having some similar issues, in addition to some new. I'm weaning off that one, too.

Hi. I'm currently taking 400mg Topamax along w/300mg Zonisamide. I still get breakthrough simple and complex partials--1 to 3/month. Topamax /Topiramate is known for short term memory loss & "word loss" issues. There are often times when I know what I want to say--I can even "see" the words in my mind as if they're on paper, but my mind & mouth can't connect! It's been dubbed "Dopamax".

Yeah. Just so you know, it doesn't get better. Since you're getting breakthrough seizures, is there something else you can try?

I really wish there was a good option. Unfortunately, I've been on every AED out there. I was severely allergic to some (Keppra, Depakote, Lamictil). I just switched to Zonisamide last November due to our insurance--I was on 400mg/day of Vimpat. If I wanted to stay on it, I'd have to pay $1,600+/month out of pocket!

What would people reccomend
Stay on topiromate and suffer the side effects?
Or switch to something else and stop driving for a while?
I need some advise x

Did you feel like coming off topiromate was for the best ?
Or are the other tablets worse?
Would you advise me to switch from topiromate ?
Thanks x

Somehow, I ended up on topimax 3 times. Each time I did, I got numbness in my arms. I don't know if this is something other people experience. I also had trouble with words, but I can't say that was the topimax as I am not on it now but still have trouble with words when I get certain kinds of migraine. I was on zonisimide for many months, and it caused realllly bad brain fog. The kind that made me function at a lower level, but I was in such bad shape when I started that I didn't know the difference until I stopped it. I do know when I tried to up the dose, it effected my memory reallly bad too. I'm currently not on anything because I can't afford it, and though I know it's not advisable, it's between medication and eating. So once I ran out, i began feeling better mentally. but if I end up having a seizure and am taken to the hospital, I am also afraid they'll give me Ativan which causes severe hallucinations and weakness for me, and the last time I told them that, they said it was all they could give me.

Back
Top Bottom