Topomax weight loss

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi everyone I was put on topamax in February and at the time weighed 62kg (136lb) and am 5 foot 4.

I have lost 17lb since then and am wandering whether I should do anything about it, I'm now 119lb so not underweight but eating loads and still loosing weight quite quickly.

Should I go back to the doctors? What would they do? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Yeah typical I would say... I lost 50 lbs on topamax over a year and a half time. My husband does not beleive me but I did! I look at pictures of myself before the topomax and I think to myself gee whiz I was a fattie! I am only 5 2'. before the Topomax I weighed 170 now I am 145.Granted I am pretty muscular but wow. The good news is my blood pressure and my HDL and LDL levels went down also as a result. They were getting ready to put me on a statin drug and i am only in my 30s. Are you on the brand or the generic? I am on the generic Mylan brand I found that one works the best for me tried the Glenmark one not so good had more seizures on it. I also have the generic brand Mylan Keppra works best for me also if the same generics are used in conjuction for epilepsy meds it work best for generics.
Tina

In my opinion 119 for 5' 4" is still a very healthy weight, and you don't need to panic about becoming underweight just yet. I'm 5' 4" and 110-112 lb, and considered physically healthy at my last check-up. It is an easy weight for me to maintain. Often once people get to what their body's ideal weight is, it is a much easier weight to maintain. I think at this stage you are fine as long as you are eating healthy foods and getting sufficient calories. It might help to determine what your own personal Basal Metabolic Rate is http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php is one example; note that the BMR does NOT include calories burned during daily activities; you need to add activity calories to the BMR to determine your minimum calorie intake. Once you have a handle on the true number of calories you need on a given day, see if this helps you maintain your weight better. If you are wanting to maintain your weight in the 120 lb area, consider adding in high calorie meal supplements like Boost or Ensure.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I was put on topamax in February and at the time weighed 62kg (136lb) and am 5 foot 4.

I have lost 17lb since then and am wandering whether I should do anything about it, I'm now 119lb so not underweight but eating loads and still loosing weight quite quickly.

Should I go back to the doctors? What would they do? Thanks in advance

imo yes i'd make an appointment. 17 pounds in a couple months, when you're not trying to lose weight and are eating lots, is not a 'good' sign. tho yes you're still in the normal range for your height that's fairly moot if it's continuing to drop, ie: it's not good to leave something health-related alone until it's a problem. i have recently lost 5 pounds for no reason and am having abdominal pain. they didn't seem overly concerned with the pain as they thought maybe muscle spasms due to high stress, until i told them about the unexplained weight loss. bang, scheduled for a CT colonography.

unmeant reason for losing that much weight so fast is always taken seriously. tho it is extremely likely it's b/c of a new medication, it still should be addressed. they may want to lower your doseage or at the very least keep a very close eye on it. topamax is well-proven as a weight loss seizure drug, some people that works nicely for and others it's a negative. just to be safe you should go :)

When I was initially put on Topomax a number of years ago, I, too, lost a significant amount of weight, like 30 lbs, in about 8 months. It made me very anorexic. That is a well-known side-effect of Topomax as the dosage increases. So if you continue losing the weight and don't have an appetite, yes, call your dr. The AEDs do have side effects that some can't handle.

Thanks for all the replies. Tinathesinergirl I started on the generic brand but am now on topamax, I was thinking they were the same but I could be wrong?

Back
Top Bottom