travel and planes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
m so excited to go see my family in Maine. I am also scared. Sometimes I have seizures coming home and there. I'm not sure how much has to do with time change but what can I do ? I am south of Seattle. it's 3 hours different . Should i try to edge the times of dose to preemptively ? I was told epileptics should not fly. the plane will make a emergency stop ??

I saw an infographic this month saying that jet lag can affect seizures and trigger one.

I've flown on a plane without problems, but I will tell you that day got hazy because our flight was delayed and airplanes were trying to keep up so they were really speeding on through to catch up with all the missed time. All the jet lag made me feel so sick and I got an insane headache. We also didn't eat before the flight - we were a bit excited about the trip and didn't feel all that hungry. That whole day could've been a trigger fest for many reasons, but thankfully I didn't have a seizure. I can say, though, I have never been on a plane since or again and I hate flying. It felt like a one and done for me.

It depends how your body acts. I think if I would've had a good, full night's sleep, a good meal, and plenty of water to drink I would've been better off.

I've also flown without any issues. We've gone to Pakistan as a family twice since our marriage--an 18-20-hour trip depending on airline, including the layover. The time difference between there & Chicago is 10 hours in summer. I make sure to take my meds before the flight, and I keep them with me.

Last edited:
I've had no problems flying (other than the usual -- uncomfortable seats, lousy food...)

Janus, you could ask your neuro about bringing some Ativan or Valium on the trip. My neuro gave me a rx for a small amount of Ativan to bring when travelling, in case I had a seizure far away from a hospital. Ativan can stop seizures, and it can also help calm you if you're anxious. (My eye doc gave me a 1/2 dose of valium before I had eye surgery to make sure I was relaxed.)

I hope you have a great trip!

The other thing I have to worry about: does anyone have dentures? I used to grind my teeth so hard and scary that I woke people up in other rooms. Now I wear dentures. I guess I can ask my son too try taking them out of my mouth in a seizure? My girlfrien/care-giver will stay at home. Do you take out dentures? If you can... Or all others like family to take them out of possible. ?

I guess I can ask my son too try taking them out of my mouth in a seizure?
If you're having a convulsive seizure, it can be dangerous to have someone out their hands in your mouth -- for you and for the other person! If the seizure doesn't involve the jaw-clenching of a tonic-clonic, then perhaps the dentures can be gently removed.

i have had a delta down because i had a seizure once, left me in an odd city, but they paid for a few days hotel, and i was black listed from my home air port till i took in medical papers i was good.
, i have flown mostly with out issue,

The specific trigger for me is more the change in my sleep schedule and any stress/anxiety caused by the flight. When I was younger, I had more seizures while travelling but since I was prescribed clobazam for situations like this where I think a seizure is likely, I haven't had a seizure during or post-flight. It is still something I am very anxious about though! Unless it is a short domestic flight, I really do not like flying alone

My epileptologist have me an emergency back up . I keep it on my keychain. Lorazepam. If I feel the Aura try to eat it right away. Or it sometimes helps to stop it when someone puts one in my mouth, under toung when starting. I will be flying a 6 hour flight without my caregiver. I will be with my 20 year old son. He has not seen how to do that or a close up view of a seizure. He has lived with his mom for 15 years. That was when my seizures got much more frequent and intense. My girlfriend is my live-in care giver. Thank God!! I often have the seizing stay at around 4 am. I fall out of bed or crawl out. She gets the EMERGENCY -emergency treatment is gel diazapam. The single dose is in the disposable, plastic syringe. No needle, just a large plastic thing you might think, it's for medicine for down a dog's throat. And it says on tube ( apply rectally) BUT HE said, and this works well, she puts it between cheek and gum. Under toung etc. That will stop a seizure. It's only that there is a high street value. My girlfriend is trained and qualified to use it on me seizing. I don't remember any of this of course, but wake up later (one or more hours later)
So, technically it's illegal to carry that stuff without legal qualification of some sort. Yeah and to some degree that applies to lorazepam too. But for that I keep a pill in a capsule on the key chain. But that is just one, maybe I'll put two in there. It's only a 1mg. The prescription says, for use as needed. As a backup helper that has helped but rarely if ever use it. Usually the seizure is too late before I get the pill out. But, never sure if it will help. My seizures vary widely. Sometimes they are unconscious shaking on the floor. Other times I manage to get up and wobble, falling over, to get out of where I am. (Always 'burning up' inside. ) For a while it's only been in my sleep. I really hope it stays that way.

The doc said, "if you want to, take one when your on your way into the airport. And my psychiatrist said to use the disability service they have for disabled. To get a wheelchair ride to the gate.

I love, love, love this site. Everybody here is awesome and no one gets what it's like when you don't have it. People here know. Sharing notes about what worked for us and not.
Thank you. ALL.

Dealing with seizures during travel can be tough, but there are a few things you can try. Since you mentioned the time change, it might be a good idea to gradually adjust your medication schedule before the trip, just to be on the safe side. It's always best to consult your doctor or a healthcare professional to discuss your specific situation and get their advice.

depending on how by the cough you are willing to travel, i usually fly on the left over seats so i dont have to worry about missing my flight or a random change in plans, or i travel by train or bus if i have the time.

Dealing with seizures during travel can be tough, but there are a few things you can try. Since you mentioned the time change, it might be a good idea to gradually adjust your medication schedule before the trip, just to be on the safe side. It's always best to consult your doctor or a healthcare professional to discuss your specific situation and get their advice.

As for flying, epileptics can generally travel by plane, but it's a good idea to inform the airline about your condition beforehand, so they can provide any necessary support. When we traveled with my epileptic brother, we made reservations at www.dbfahrplan.com and alerted the staff to our problem.

i really enjoy flying, the airport is one of the best places for people watching. I also just love trains is because they are nice to my bicycle and a great places to carry a camera, and i have the airline destroy a very exspenive bike once. the bus may have been a poor choice because a lot of meds cause blood clots if you sit for that long. that was also a question when i had that clot in the back of my leg "had a been on a buses or anything similar"

I saw an infographic this month saying that jet lag can affect seizures and trigger one.

I've flown on a plane without problems, but I will tell you that day got hazy because our flight was delayed and airplanes were trying to keep up so they were really speeding on through to catch up with all the missed time. All the jet lag made me feel so sick and I got an insane headache. We also didn't eat before the flight - we were a bit excited about the trip and didn't feel all that hungry. That whole day could've been a trigger fest for many reasons, but thankfully I didn't have a seizure. I can say, though, I have never been on a plane since or again and I hate flying. It felt like a one and done for me.

It depends how your body acts. I think if I would've had a good, full night's sleep, a good meal, and plenty of water to drink I would've been better off.
Exactly. I flew to my home state of Maine from where I am now. South of Seattle.
I had a smooth trip flying but a week into my visit. A seizure.
I took a lorazepam on my way into the plane. I was afraid to say anything to the stuards. Jet lag is a big part of it. I had another one right after returning. I had not slept for a day and a half and not eaten.. and I made the flight but on the way home from the airport, tonic, generalized, retractable seizures.
I live alone now and that sucks. I'm a bit afraid. And, I'm lonely. My girlfriend who lived with me for 10 years, as a paid caregiver. I also have a TBI. Traumatic brain injury.

I was told by my psychiatrist that it's not a good idea. That if there is a seizure in flight they will do emergency landing at near airport and get you off to the hospital and leave without you. You're on your own.
I have a tube of diazepam gel that you squirt into my mouth. Try for under tong. It stops seizures right away. I always tried to fly with someone, girlfriend or what. But I flew home from Maine alone this time. I did not but I will from now on explain to the stuards , and give them the tube. It says " for rectal use"
On it, but the doc said in the mouth. And it knocks me out.
Like someone on here said; I have to eat. Eat a lot. Like FULL. And sleep. But sleep is so hard with travel because I get so excited.
Should I give a thing of the gel and instructions to the Stuarts.?

Back
Top Bottom