Two Food types that Can Trigger

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Athena22

New
Reaction score
It was at a nice little thrift store and someone had to call the ambulance. I refused. It was nice of them but I hate this hospital.
The woman who worked there said her daughter had seizures; And they stopped once her doctor told her about these foods she told my mother spanish, so I couldn't really understand when she translated.
Anything to make it work
not to eat these foods-
  1. Nuts, any type
  2. cooking oil( use olive oil)
And organic foods, so try to cook with fresh ingriedients and make your own meals, that have no pesticides or hormones. Buying food at a farmers market is the best.
I read online that the Atkins diet is great.
But anyways; I'm not your nutritionist, primary care doctor, or Nuerologist, So, make your own choice. I'm not so trusting of this spanish woman, although I do not have nuts every day. And I had two big spoon fulls of some almond stuff w/e its called spread the day before my seizure( was not nutella).
I also think nuts are very high in carbs, (not in the atkins diet rules) *The spread*
So do whatever, I'm going to try and ease off, And into the Atkins diet and possible talk to a nutritionist that works with epilepsy.

Last edited:
Nuts are high in glutamate. Not as high as MGS or gluten grains but high enough to make them on the "moderation" list for the G.A.R.D. diet protocol.

Also some peanut butters add lots of sugar. Peanuts are not really even nuts anyway. They are legumes like split peas. Because they are grown on the ground, they often have a lot of mold that gets processed into PBs that some people are very sensitive to. You are better off with tree growing nuts like almonds.

Can't think of a thing wrong with olive oil as long as you don't cook at really high temps with it. Then it can oxidize.

Totally agree about organic everything. Local and fresh and chemical free. It matters. Also grass fed on the meat and wild caught on the seafood.

Nuts are high in glutamate. Not as high as MGS or gluten grains but high enough to make them on the "moderation" list for the G.A.R.D. diet protocol.

Also some peanut butters add lots of sugar. Peanuts are not really even nuts anyway. They are legumes like split peas. Because they are grown on the ground, they often have a lot of mold that gets processed into PBs that some people are very sensitive to. You are better off with tree growing nuts like almonds.

Can't think of a thing wrong with olive oil as long as you don't cook at really high temps with it. Then it can oxidize.

Totally agree about organic everything. Local and fresh and chemical free. It matters. Also grass fed on the meat and wild caught on the seafood.

I'm so sorry I accidentally wrote olive oil; fixed my mistake. I do understand as well that grapefruit and sodas can cause seizures in people who are very sensitive to them as well as large amts of caffeine with patients that take medication, so if you want to drink caffeine or have fruit, its not a bad thing to choose an alternative fruit such as berries. Or Have a delicious unsweetened tea for the soda. Or rather the caffeine I'd recommend having it in small amounts.

Caffeine is psychoactive and promotes neurotransmission across synapses in the brain. I have also read that since the brain cells have a lipid membrane, maintaining membrane integrity through Omega oils and Vitamin E is important. These oils prevent oxidation and act as insulation in the cell membranes.

I'm so sorry I accidentally wrote olive oil; fixed my mistake. I do understand as well that grapefruit and sodas can cause seizures in people who are very sensitive to them as well as large amts of caffeine with patients that take medication, so if you want to drink caffeine or have fruit, its not a bad thing to choose an alternative fruit such as berries. Or Have a delicious unsweetened tea for the soda. Or rather the caffeine I'd recommend having it in small amounts.
Ah. I understand now. Most "cooking oil" is chemically extracted junk that you really don't want in your body (google "how it's made : canola oil" for a serious yuck factor). The good general rule on oil is that if you can squeeze the seed or fruit and get oil, great, it's edible e.g. sesame seeds make sesame oil. If you have to use chemicals and mechanical extraction processes, it's not food. You really don't want hexane in your salad dressing. Good oils are coconut, avocado, sesame and such. Never eat corn oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, etc.

Nothing wrong with grapefruit except that they can interact with certain medications (no AEDs that I know of, it's mostly heart and BP meds). There is a substance in grapefruit called naringin that potentiates other meds (i.e. it makes them stronger) This is why doctors give dire warnings about eating grapefruit. They would rather you take more meds. I eat grapefruit all the time when they are in season on my trees. Berries are great fruits in that they have a lot nutrients and antioxidants for a relatively low amount of sugar.

I totally agree about giving the caffeine a pass entirely if you have epilepsy. Along with excess sugar and all fake sugars. So sodas are definitely out. I drink Pelegrino sparkling mineral water with a splash of a non sweet juice such as lemon, lime, or cranberry in it when I wan t bubbly drink. There is a drink called Teechino which scratches the coffee itch. I get their dandelion roast kind which is not just not harmful, it's actually good for you.
The only fake sugar that isn't toxic is stevia (if you get the pure leaf form).

I use caffeine because it does not give me seizures. I have a genetic neurotransmitter imbalance, and caffeine helps clear the fog cognitively. I have many "open circuits" in my brain, and subsequently dyslexia as well, as the brain attempts to find the path of least resistance which in my case involves detours. I also have loops on ocassion.
I have to facilitate neurotransmission. I am unable to digest many fats, including certain nuts. I drink almond milk because the kind I buy is rich in Vitamin E.

That's interesting^^^. For most people with E, the last thing they need is something that facilitates neurotransmission. The problem is too much neurotransmission and caffeine only makes that worse.

That's also interesting about your inability to deal with some fats. How does your body feel about coconut oil? I ask because it is a medium chain triglyceride that is easily burned for energy.

That's interesting^^^. For most people with E, the last thing they need is something that facilitates neurotransmission. The problem is too much neurotransmission and caffeine only makes that worse.

That's also interesting about your inability to deal with some fats. How does your body feel about coconut oil? I ask because it is a medium chain triglyceride that is easily burned for energy.
I would agree that is true for most people with epilepsy.

I consider my epilepsy to be linked to my muscular dystrophy, since in my case of MD, the muscle cells are constantly firing due to a corruption of the genetic code. I have mytonic dystrophy. The excess electrical signals my muscles send to my brain lead to an electrial storm in my brain as the signals travel along my nervous system to the brain. At this point, my whole body is an antenna for electricity, and it is generating electricity non-stop. The muscle cells generate action potentials through the depolarization and repolarization of the cells, through the interaction of specific Calcium, Sodium, Potassium, and Chloride channels. I have excess Chloride ions, which lead to too much Hydrochloric acid in my stomach. I am lactose intolerant, (late onset), also likely genetic. I have attempted to address my epilepsy and MD through my understanding of physics and chemistry. By paying attention to my diet, specifically, focusing on ions with an electron to give, I am better managing my seizures. I have made progress in managing certain types of seizures caused by certain wavelengths along the electromagnetic spectrum. The longer wavelenghts I am not reacting to as much, but the shorter ones--cell phone waves, radio waves, and light, I am. I have photoelectric, photochemical, absence, and partial seizures. If I am in straight line with a cell phone tower (close proximity) with no barriers between me and the tower, I will eventually have a seizure once my capacitance for electricity has been exceeded.

I am particularly interested in your posts because you are utilizing non-pharmaceutical means to manage your seizures. No neurogist in my area (five different clinics) know how to deal or even recognize my kind of epilepsy since the electrical signals do not necessarily originate in my brain. I have read Keiths posts in which he explored the connection between the gut and seizures. My research has led me to consider the whole body as playing a role in seizures.

I am new to this Forum, so I trying to find people I can learn from.

"Walk with the wise, and you will be wise."

I am trying to manage my epilepsy by attempting to increase my electromagnetic field (people recognize it as personal space where one person's body chemistry affects yours) and there are countless variables to manage in my case. Electrical signals (environmental as well as internal) affect the rhythm of my heart, since my EMF field is so small.

Yes, Keith is very knowledgable about the gut-brain connection. I also highly recommend the website of Dr. David Perlmutter. He is the author of "Grain Brain" and his upcoming book "Brain Maker" is going to focus on that gut-brain interface.

I started a thread called In Praise of Coconut Water and Keith and I got into an interesting discussion there about noni juice that you might like to check out. You mentioned too much acidity in your stomach. This could help.

http://www.nonialoha.com/HEAL.html

I have read one of Dr. David Perlmutter's books preceding "The Grain Brain." I do not recall the name of the book. He utilized a hyperbaric chamber to facilitate healing and oxygenation in the brain. I will have to visit his website to refresh my memory.

Hi Athena,
I agree with you that olive oil is better for a person than regular vegetable oil. What I find very interesting is how nuts help me do to the fact that they have progesterone in them and that helps me out a lot when the hormones are changing. I love to eat almonds that are lightly salted. I do agree with you all the way that anything with MSG will trigger seizures for some people. I find it very interesting how some foods or snacks can trigger seizures for some people while it helps other. As far as diet soda goes that is one thing that will trigger seizures for me a lot so I stay away from anything with NutraSweet in it. Thank you for sharing this info. I find it very educational and interesting. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Nuts do not contain progesterone, they are high in b vitamins, magnesium,EFA's, and protein which are needed to make hormones.

Last edited:
Raw nuts and seeds don't contain progesterone, but they ARE they are high in "anti-estrogenic" plant sterols, which may help promote the production of progesterone. If your seizures are catamenial, then nuts can potentially be a helpful addition to your diet.

AlohaBird - Grapefruit can impact carbamazepine and midazolam enough to warrant caution/monitoring. I think Sue clued me onto one of those interactions a year or two ago. Anything metabolized via liver CYP3A4 enzyme might have issues, not always but that is where it impacts the above aeds.

All this talk is going to get me to look up whether nuts are good or bad for something else I'm dealing with, the hormone implications for various issues/foods are confusing!

Grapefruit can also affect the metabolism/absorption of Zonisamide, so care should be taken with the med as well.

Back
Top Bottom